Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree48Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I bet the ipad2 doesnt run as fast as the commercials for it.

I bet you can't drive your truck to the top of mountains like commercials.
    Are you sure about driving to the top of the mountains? Rats, that must explain things for me. I've been driving around the Big Sur Coast, waiting to be sucked up into an alien tractor beam, and then into a Mayan time vortex where I drive my car down the front of a Mayan pyramid. I mean, I saw it on TV! It has to be real, right? No? So, I guess I have to give up on that pipe dream, huh?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

From @JesseJstreet on Twitter:

Wow. Was just informed all Staples stores within a 5 state radius of me (Chicago) are sold out of HP #TouchPads.
    not just that. Staples emptied the warehouse of 16gb touchpads. You can not even order a 16gb now. I got the last 32gb in my store. Get em while they are hot.
    #Winning

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And I'm for letting webOS enthusiasts be enthusiastic on a webOS enthusiast's forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    not just that. Staples emptied the warehouse of 16gb touchpads. You can not even order a 16gb now. I got the last 32gb in my store. Get em while they are hot.
    Heard and saw the same thing, no more online ordering for the 16GB, 32 only at Staples.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    For all the naysayers that are convinced TouchPads are not selling...

I just called every single Staples in the Bay Area and all of them are sold out.

...If $400 = sold out within hours...
    $299 = sold out within hours:

$200 off TouchPad at Staples?!

Here is the coupon and background.

It took two days for the 32GB to sell out at $400.

Right now, $299 is the price-point where HP can sell all the TouchPads Foxconn can make.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It turns out that at $299 people no longer seem to care about the number of apps, microSD, HDMI, rear camera, HD recording, too fat, too heavy, low def screen, no voice commands, or anything else...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Are you sure about driving to the top of the mountains? Rats, that must explain things for me. I've been driving around the Big Sur Coast, waiting to be sucked up into an alien tractor beam, and then into a Mayan time vortex where I drive my car down the front of a Mayan pyramid. I mean, I saw it on TV! It has to be real, right? No? So, I guess I have to give up on that pipe dream, huh?
    wow, I'll just take the drive around the Big Sur coast. How's the ocean? Beam me a pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    $299 = sold out within hours:

$200 off TouchPad at Staples?!

Here is the coupon and background.

It took two days for the 32GB to sell out at $400.

Right now, $299 is the price-point where HP can sell all the TouchPads Foxconn can make.
    Not so fast.

Right now, i'm wondering if people are buying it because its $299 or because its $200 off.

Many consumers will not make a purchase unless they feel like they are getting away with something. I think the spike in sales has a lot to do with people believing that they are getting a $500 device for $299.

IMO, if the touchpad would have launched at $299 and $399, people wouldn't have been rushing to staples to pick it up. People like bargains, people like coupons. People turned on the radio/news/computer and heard "hurry up and SAVE $200 on a tablet while supplies last". HP did right by establishing the value of this device at $499.

Look at all the free advertisement HP got this weekend. Even those who were trying to give HP a gloomy outlook due were helping to entice the public into buying a touchpad.

So i don't think its as simple as saying $299 is the sweet spot. Most of the excitement was around the fact that this was a huge, but temporary price drop on an expensive product. its a mind game really.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 08/06/2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

Right now, i'm wondering if people are buying it because its $299 or because its $200 off.

Well for me it was both, $200 off made it a price point I thought was worthwhile for the purchase whereas before it was not. The $100 off sale was enough to get me to look, the extra $100 was enough to convince my wife it was a good deal.

I do not think that the $200 discount was heavily advertised but certainly the individual HP and Staples sales were separately advertised. I still wonder if this was an accidental overlap in discounts or by design. But I do see your overall point and no doubt the fact that it was a "deal" was the only reason some decided to make the purchase. And that by default sort makes $299 the sweet spot doesn't it?

No matter what though it is helping increase the WebOS market presence and I think that is a good thing.
  10.    #50  
    Many consumers will not make a purchase unless they feel like they are getting away with something. I think the spike in sales has a lot to do with people believing that they are getting a $500 device for $299.

. . .

HP did right by establishing the value of this device at $499.
    Agreed, but I think your earlier points are splitting hairs. Yes, HP did not learn whether or not $300/$400 is a good MSRP. However, that is not relevant to the discussion because they set MSRP at $500/$600, not $300/$400.

What they learned is that they can run promotional discounts for somewhere between $300/$400 and their MSRP depending on how they want to move product. If they want to prioritize brand value, they discount less and less often. If they want to prioritize sales numbers, they discount more. They can now use this info for a potential Pre3-TP duo promotion to get product in people's hands and build brand awareness.

The one thing i worry about is whether this promotion only satisfied the latent demand from webOS faithful fence-sitters, or whether there is still unsatisfied demand that can expand market share.
    PeterMacSF likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post

But I do see your overall point and no doubt the fact that it was a "deal" was the only reason some decided to make the purchase. And that by default sort makes $299 the sweet spot doesn't it?
    no when I think of sweet spot, I think of a, long term, sustainable price point. I don't even think the touchpad would have sold this well on July 1st at this price. It was the media attention and thrill of the deal that made this work.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Agreed, but I think your earlier points are splitting hairs. Yes, HP did not learn whether or not $300/$400 is a good MSRP. However, that is not relevant to the discussion because they set MSRP at $500/$600, not $300/$400.

What they learned is that they can run promotional discounts for somewhere between $300/$400 and their MSRP depending on how they want to move product. If they want to prioritize brand value, they discount less and less often. If they want to prioritize sales numbers, they discount more. They can now use this info for a potential Pre3-TP duo promotion to get product in people's hands and build brand awareness.

The one thing i worry about is whether this promotion only satisfied the latent demand from webOS faithful fence-sitters, or whether there is still unsatisfied demand that can expand market share.
    why isn't it relevant? I was addressing what i took to be an implication that 300/400 is where the touchpad needs to be in order to maintain demand. I just don't think this weekend sale is enough to make that determination.
    GOT MY TOUCHPAD... i went to staples and asked about the 16GB model. they were soldout but the guy said he can place my order and have it shiped to my place... i asked if the $100 off store only cupon still applies and he said yes be cause u are buying it at the store.. got it for 299 plus tax and is delivered on tuesday ...AWSOME....
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I went to 2 Bay Area Office Depots on Sat, neither one would accept the Staples coupon and didn't try to stop me as I walked out the door... dumb, because I was planning on picking up a few accessories as well.

Ended up going to BB (had a $50 gift card) and got the 32gb. They also would not accept the Staples coupon. Oh well, $100 saved is still good!
    No touchpads @staples near me, but had an idear, and yes. Walmart does price match, confirmed @ 5 stores, bring your staples coupon.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    Not so fast.

IMO, if the touchpad would have launched at $299 and $399, people wouldn't have been rushing to staples to pick it up. People like bargains, people like coupons. People turned on the radio/news/computer and heard "hurry up and SAVE $200 on a tablet while supplies last". HP did right by establishing the value of this device at $499.

Look at all the free advertisement HP got this weekend. Even those who were trying to give HP a gloomy outlook due were helping to entice the public into buying a touchpad.

So i don't think its as simple as saying $299 is the sweet spot. Most of the excitement was around the fact that this was a huge, but temporary price drop on an expensive product. its a mind game really.
    Exactly what guys like me and hparson have been saying for weeks now. People like to feel they are getting something expensive for a low price. It is part of the American psyche. If HP had offered the Touchpad at a lower price in the beginning a lot of folks would not have bought one believing it was a cheaply made device and inferior to the higher priced devices.
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting comment and mine runs like butter. I've updated to the latest 3.0.2 and if you haven't I'd recommend it ASAP. Is it as fast as the commercials...mine is, but I'm also clocking in at 1.5ghz overclocking my dual core and loving every minute. To be honest, most commercials don't show real life use of devices and most everything has post production working the content making it just right. Don't know about you, but how many of us really think their new Ford Focus is going to give them 35mpg? In the right road conditions and setup anything is possible, but on my roads in my city...it won't happens. Sorli...
    I know this is a bit off the main topic, but the 2012 Focus SEL has been giving me 30-34mpg on average with a fair mix between city and highway driving without the fuel economy package you can get on the SE. That's with brand-X 87 octane gas with 10 percent Ethanol. If Ethanol were removed, I would easily be seeing better fuel economy.

But, the Touchpad does seem to be living up to the advertising for the most part once the 3.0.2 update is applied.
    It like balm on a webOS fan's soul to see the people who used to tell us we're believing in unicorns for saying "let's wait and see, maybe it'll be successful"...

...turning things around in the face of the TouchPad being the #2 best-selling tablet on Amazon and being sold out pretty much everywhere you look in the USA after a month on the market, and saying "let's wait and see, maybe it's going to lose momentum."

Oh and by the way:

The iPad 1, after 16 months on the market, has 656 reviews on Amazon.
    That makes ~40 reviews a month, with an average of 4 stars.

The iPad 2, after 5 months on the market, has 252 reviews on Amazon.
    That makes ~50 reviews a month, with an average of 4 stars.

The TouchPad, after one month on the market, has 118 reviews on Amazon.
    That makes ~100 reviews a month, with an average of 4.5 stars.

It seems like the market is, in fact, speaking... and it seems to disagree with a lot of reviews I have read.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123