Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #1  
    The original article can be found here: HP: If you want folks to hack the TouchPad, then Open Source it. | ZDNet

This is the first revision of my opposing editorial (op ed) in response. Jason Perlow made an open invitation to the @webosinternals team (of which I am not a member). I asked Jason if I could take him up on the offer and he agreed.

I worked 10 hours today, so again, this is a first revision. If anything reads funny, spelling errors, if something is inaccurate, something needs to be added or removed, etc. I would definitely appreciate your insight. Id like to be able to submit the final revision to Jason Perlow on Monday so that will give the weekend for comments and revisions.

Summary: No. You do not have to “hack” the webOS operating system on the HP Touchpad. But, if you want, you may personalize it. Supported by HP and @webosinternals.

This article is the result of an invitation to offer a response article to Jason Perlow’s HP: If you want folks to hack the TouchPad, then Open Source it.

I’ll be honest, I have an iPad. You can also, at any point, find a HP Touchpad, a Blackberry Bold, a Palm Pre2, a Microsoft Zune HD and an HTC Evo 3D, in my home.

A company does not fail miserably if their product needs updates (or as Jason called them in his piece, “hack[s]”). If this were the case, then Microsoft is a failed company, Google is a failed company, Ford is a failed company and HP is a failed company. However, none of the aforementioned are indeed failed companies.
    So, what about these “hacks”?

Well, to be honest. You first have to understand how a company creates a product. Especially for mobile devices, familiarity is the foundation. If every device you picked up from X-company felt different than their other products, then this creates difficulty in using their devices. Familiarity is very important with personal devices. Today the cell phone has become as personal as one’s wallet. Ask any man to open his wallet or any woman to open her purse. They can easily find what they have contained inside easily.

No greater example of familiarity exists in the tech world than in Windows. Since Windows 95 we have had the “Start” button. And even today, many editions later, it still exists, even after attempts to eliminate it. Familiarity is quite literally the brand logo (if you will) of mobile devices. It is what indeed defines the system to the end user.

Where does that put current mobile operating systems? It puts Apple and HP in a great position while Google is placed in a much worse position.

You can pick up any iPhone, iTouch, iPad and instantly use any of them if I know how one of them operates. This truth also exists for HP. You can pick up a Pre2, Veer or Touchpad and be able to use all of them easily. Pick up different Android devices, and you’ll be pretty much lost.

Why the HP Touchpad “hacks” then?

Have you ever painted a room? Bought a certain color car? Dressed a certain fashion? Why did you do this? You might find it interesting to know that you did this because personalization increases familiarity. That is, your device becomes your very own. (We’ve all seen the people on “What Not to Wear” shed tears when their entire wardrobe is tossed out, citing it was “who they were”.)

In similar fashion, you should be able to customize the most important electronic device in your life. Because, after all, you use it 24/7. Until Apple was told no by a court, they wanted to prevent you from customizing your device. They wanted your device to literally be like every other device of the same make and model out there. Do you have a different wallet or purse than everyone else you know? Definitely. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Android is fully customizable. However, with different manufacturer graphical interfaces, majorly different operating system iterations and now their huge difference between their tablet and phone operating systems, familiarity is quickly tossed out the proverbial window.

Enter: HP webOS.

What if we combined the best of both worlds? What if we let you have a familiar system across all your devices AND let you personalize it? We can with webOS patches. And the great thing about this is it is HP supported.

This is why webOS is not open source. While it would increase personalization capability it would absolutely ruin the familiarity of the ecosystem. This is why, starting in 2012, HP is putting webOS on laptops and netbooks. It is a great idea because you are able to access your data and your apps in a familiar way.

WebOS 3.0.2 came out 30 days after launch, why didn’t they just have it perfect from the initial launch? Let us just take a gander at iOS real quick. Since July 2007 (when iOS released) there have been 41 updates. Indeed that is the correct number, 41. That’s quite literally 1 per month. In fact, from July 2007 to September (first 90 days) iOS received 4 updates. Nearly any product you can think of in today’s connected world is updateable. You can even drive your 2011 Ford F250 to the dealer and get a computer update for it to improve mileage and power. Updates should not be seen as a failure, they should be seen as a company committed to your purchase and it working in the best capacity possible.

Where does this leave the “pseudo-employees”? Well, really, it leaves them right where they should be. HP just happens to give their “pseudo-employees” credit where credit is due (HP provides the @webosinternals team with servers, development kits, and devices). Really, all good companies should. And with Apple’s recent hire of a jailbreak developer, all good companies are starting to as well.

In closing, no, HP should not open source webOS. And why should they? The system operates just as advertised out of the box. If you have the want to make your device your own without fear of losing familiarity, then webOS is your ticket.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Not sure the guy is worth the effort of a response but I wish you well. Wonder if Rod and company feel the same way.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Not sure the guy is worth the effort of a response but I wish you well. Wonder if Rod and company feel the same way.
    Im a business major, did a year as a communication major, did debate in high school. Basically, I love writing debate about business and technology lol.

So, I actually had fun.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Did they even mention installing the 3.0.2 update?
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    Im a business major, did a year as a communication major, did debate in high school. Basically, I love writing debate about business and technology lol.

So, I actually had fun.
    Then give him a good spanking for all of us. Let us know when it goes up.
    It's pretty redundant. You make your point over and over and over before moving on to another minor point.

Brevity, my friend.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Did they even mention installing the 3.0.2 update?
    not specifically

I wrote that in response to

But Hewlett-Packard has no such excuses. They fully control the WebOS platform and they control the hardware that it runs on. They’ve got nobody to blame for the TouchPad not performing up to par but themselves.
    @agentmock

I strongly object to the term "pseudo-employees". That's the whole point of my objection to the original article, and I will not dignify the original article with a considered response to the main thrust of the article until the baseless accusations that attack my personal and professional character and reputation are removed from it.

I suggest you remove the second last paragraph from your response completely, rather than speaking on our behalf on that point. A number of the statements you make in that paragraph are not correct with respect to WebOS Internals.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    It's pretty redundant. You make your point over and over and over before moving on to another minor point.

Brevity, my friend.
    oh its definitely not even close to done. I just typed that up while watching the TV and listening to my wife talk about her day. It'll get adjusted better. I'll have plenty of time on Sunday since its my only day off every week.

But thanks for the comment. I'll check it for being redundant. You should use 2-3 sources for every personal thought you make for proof.
    @agentmock

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I strongly object to the term "pseudo-employees". That's the whole point of my objection to the original article, and I will not dignify the original article with a considered response to the main thrust of the article until the baseless accusations that attack my personal and professional character and reputation are removed from it.

I suggest you remove the second last paragraph from your response completely, rather than speaking on our behalf on that point. A number of the statements you make in that paragraph are not correct with respect to WebOS Internals.

-- Rod
    Glad you made a comment!

I am planning on attacking "pseudo-employees" more in other revisions.

I can remove what you ask, however, I am only going off of public knowledge, so I dont know how I would be "not correct". PM me though if you wanna or not.

Im just going off of:

HP donates server to WebOS Internals, makes homebrew its boo -- Engadget

and

HP reaffirms homebrew support by sending TouchPads to WebOS Internals | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    @agentmock

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    I am planning on attacking "pseudo-employees" more in other revisions.

I can remove what you ask, however, I am only going off of public knowledge, so I dont know how I would be "not correct".
    One server (singular), with no strings attached (actually donated to Oregon State University Open Source Laboratory OSUOSL rather than directly to WebOS Internals to ensure there was no possibility of HP thinking they could influence or control our work).

And the devices supplied to WebOS Internals by HP are done under the public developer device programs that are open to all webOS developers - there are no "special deals" for WebOS Internals developers, nor would we ask that there be. We make full use of the public programs that any other webOS developer (homebrew or not) can make use of.

But, in general, I still do not believe such baseless accusations should be dignified with a response. You realise that the only reason why he wants someone to do an op-ed piece in *his* column is to have them service *his* readers for free, increasing *his* advertising revenue ... one should be careful not to find themselves being "used" by his media machine.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    One server (singular), with no strings attached (actually donated to Oregon State University Open Source Laboratory OSUOSL rather than directly to WebOS Internals to ensure there was no possibility of HP thinking they could influence or control our work).

And the devices supplied to WebOS Internals by HP are done under the public developer device programs that are open to all webOS developers - there are no "special deals" for WebOS Internals developers, nor would we ask that there be. We make full use of the public programs that any other webOS developer (homebrew or not) can make use of.

But, in general, I still do not believe such baseless accusations should be dignified with a response. You realise that the only reason why he wants someone to do an op-ed piece in *his* column is to have them service *his* readers for free, increasing *his* advertising revenue ... one should be careful not to find themselves being "used" by his media machine.

-- Rod
    Again, thanks for your post
    @agentmock

I think it's a valiant attempt, but a waste of time.

I can sum up why he is wrong by simply saying 'webOS doesn't need to be rooted, it comes with developer mode built in'. And that's why I like it.

I don't think that garbage should be dignified with a response, but that's just me.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    What a dimwit...

Probably a reason why I stopped reading anything ZDNet what, a decade ago?

Why would you NOT want input from a fanatical, talented, knowledgeable developer community that eats, sleeps, and breathes your products?!?

He should probably stick to writing about restaurants and food, if he can even handle that...

Jason Perlow, Sr. Technology Editor at ZDNet, is a technologist with over two decades of experience integrating large heterogeneous multi-vendor computing environments in Fortune 500 companies.
    Really?

So he went from "a technologist with over two decades of experience integrating large heterogeneous multi-vendor computing environments in Fortune 500 companies" to writing sh!t articles and blogs?
    HAH!

That's some funny sh!t right there...

I don't see a "Sr. Technology Editor at ZDNet" being as prestigious, or making anywhere near the same dough as "a technologist with over two decades of experience integrating large heterogeneous multi-vendor computing environments in Fortune 500 companies," sorry, unless he really didn't know sh!t, but thought he could write about it, which it looks like he's struggling there as well.

'nuff said.
    ariker01 and LordSecksie like this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think it's a valiant attempt, but a waste of time.

I can sum up why he is wrong by simply saying 'webOS doesn't need to be rooted, it comes with developer mode built in'. And that's why I like it.

I don't think that garbage should be dignified with a response, but that's just me.
    oh nice one.

and really, I want to do it to stand up for the products I love. Same reason Rod and the webosinternals guys do what they do.

I cant code, but I enjoy writing. (though the more i read revision 1, the more it blows lol)
    @agentmock

you write very well. You should submit something to Derek...
    I'm going to take a different stand here.

I applaud your effort, to at least provide information that is contrary to that which Perlow blogged, in a fashion that didn't attack him or his opinion, but, rather stated your own, in a civilized, pragmatic fashion.

A few more drafts, with respect to Rod's comments (which, I personally feel are 100% relavent), and you probably have yourself a decent rebuttal;

The problem is, of course, that all you are doing is drawing more traffic to a typed "ranting blog" that is, probably, by definition, much more fictitious than it is fact, depite being represented that way, and, the less knowledgable people who might read it may actually believe it, which would be a gross injustice to not only the good people of webosinternals, but, HP, and their WebOS division, as well.

I can see the time and effort you put into your draft above, and I thanked you for it... this is precisely what makes this community so strong - a passion for something that is trying to get a real life in a world that keeps overlooking/misinterpretting/ignoring it.

With all due respect, I recommend you not waste your time responding on his site/page, but, keep your post here as your personal opinion for the record...

Let PreCentral get the hits, and NOT Perlow's blog page.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    With all due respect, I recommend you not waste your time responding on his site/page, but, keep your post here as your personal opinion for the record...

I concur.

-- Rod
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I'm going to take a different stand here.

I applaud your effort, to at least provide information that is contrary to that which Perlow blogged, in a fashion that didn't attack him or his opinion, but, rather stated your own, in a civilized, pragmatic fashion.

A few more drafts, with respect to Rod's comments (which, I personally feel are 100% relavent), and you probably have yourself a decent rebuttal;

The problem is, of course, that all you are doing is drawing more traffic to a typed "ranting blog" that is, probably, by definition, much more fictitious than it is fact, depite being represented that way, and, the less knowledgable people who might read it may actually believe it, which would be a gross injustice to not only the good people of webosinternals, but, HP, and their WebOS division, as well.

I can see the time and effort you put into your draft above, and I thanked you for it... this is precisely what makes this community so strong - a passion for something that is trying to get a real life in a world that keeps overlooking/misinterpretting/ignoring it.

Totally agree with you. The article was NOT 100% factual in it's first release and there for had to be modified by request. This fact alone discredits the writer's ability to be fair to the reader and more importantly the content he is writing about.

To the OP - Welcome to the new age of the 24/hr blog cycle. Just another example of self-serving drivel. This is evident in the fact that confrontation is the only way to produce traffic to the site and his article. pathetic!
    +1 for not adding to Perlow's hit count. Submit the finished article for front page use on P|C.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast