Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I live in the UK and im thinking of getting a touchpad with all the offers on this weekend, (family lives in us so there purchasing on my behalf)

i love webos but alot of the reviews im reading seem a little biased to me, so i wanted to know what you users think of it? likee any major bugs?

im not a business user so doc editing isnt important to me, ill mainly use it to browse, social networking, occasional gaming and movies

i currently own a 2.1 pre- so im famliar with webos

Any advice would be much appriciated as i wont be able to return it if needed!
    video is not a strong suit on touchpad as it only plays certain codec and video format, managing is not the best neither.

browser is decent, support flash, albeit lacking some functions you may or may not care (password remembering, etc)

gaming, what games do you play?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    formats not much of an issue for me, ive got a coverter programme i can use so its all good

ive read that flash is a bit of a hit and miss? sometimes its good others its not?

and what evers available, ive seen the video of that 3d dogfighting game, n.o.v.a ( im sure thats availble on webos) etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgie View Post
    formats not much of an issue for me, ive got a coverter programme i can use so its all good

ive read that flash is a bit of a hit and miss? sometimes its good others its not?

and what evers available, ive seen the video of that 3d dogfighting game, n.o.v.a ( im sure thats availble on webos) etc.
    fwiw - For me, Flash playback seems to depend on the internet connection you have. If I'm snuggled up next to my router, it performs great. If I'm tethered in through my Pre, it's dodgy.
    I use my TP every day. Yes, there are bugs, but the only ones I have seen are very small ones. Small bugs that can definitely be corrected with a simple software patch...and I am sure they will. That's good you don't need document editing, because you can't do any of it right now. Browsing is good, though a little slow. I hear the Facebook app is good, but I don't do FB so I can't comment on it. Gaming is great. Movies are good, too, when you download the media player from Kalemsoft.
    Browsing is Great But its Full Web Version (Not Mobile) So it can take some getting used to. Haven't played too many games since none really caught my eye but it would be nice if someone was making some kind of RPG or something. Performance is Great. pretty smooth. Battery life is good. If you want to get a feel for yourself then go to a local bestbuy/fries/electronic store and play with a display model. I think its a solid device with small bugs here and there that can be easily fixed. Skype is kind of a hassle to use but you can video chat with it. You cant take pitures with Camera unless you buy the 1$ app. (shakes fist at HP)
    Oh, and don't base your opinion on the TouchPad if it's running 3.0.0. Make sure it's running 3.0.2 before you use it. It's a really nice upgrade.
    sorli likes this.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    been on the sidelines of forums for years. Taking in all the do's n donts. Passive . This is by far the most helpful forum so I'm going to enter the fray.

I've bought 5 tablets in one year and right now I'm typing on the one that suits me best: HP Touchpad.

ipad1,Samsung galaxy Tab7, Asus transformer, BB playbook and now the touchpad .
    no n00b here. I've jailbroken,rooted,overclocking and recently tried android player on the playbook.

I've tried all the major tablet OS. Nothing handles webpages better than webOS . Playbook comes close but they've not had the patches & overclocking that is available here.

issues : no doc editor.copy and paste is not available across all text apps i.e I can't copy and paste from what I'm typing now onto the memo pad.
    no out of the box support for AVI movie files etc.
    no camera app. Wish the bezel could be put to more use like the playbook.

plusses: best web experience so far on a tablet. Good support from this forum which helped me overclock to the speed where the tab should be in the first place. Good sound system thanks to the patch. Good handling of memory. Less lag when ,multiple apps or cards are opened or out of memory issues compared to other tabs..

what I'm looking for is a tablet that can do at least what a netbook can. Windows 8 kinda looks that way in the meantime webOS is what I'm gonna experiment with.

what's next to expect:
    the webOS eco will grow hopefully with continued support from HP and more devs coming onto webOS after todays discounts.
    wait till the integration with webOS phone. I'm going to get the pre 3 myself.
    Last edited by sureshotz; 08/06/2011 at 10:43 AM.
    sorli, bevcraw and Gaurav like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    video is not a strong suit on touchpad as it only plays certain codec and video format, managing is not the best neither.

browser is decent, support flash, albeit lacking some functions you may or may not care (password remembering, etc)

gaming, what games do you play?
    Did you actually get a TouchPad, or is your honest review based on what you've read?

BTW, mine remembers passwords quite well, not that it was an important feature to me.
    Second the need user reviews. I've been a long time Palm fan, and still use my Palm Pre (-) and it works wonderfully with of course the patches and tweaks from Homebrew and personalization has been successful with Preware. Been reading about the TP, played with it a bit at Best Buy, also played with the THrive, Asus Transformer, Acer Iconia, Not exactly thrilled with the BB Zoom, or the Galaxy Tab and won't even bother with Apple. Of course WEB OS is most familiar to me and I'm not certain I want to learn an entirely new OS - only to then end up using Windows at Work and the home PC, then Web OS on the phone and possibly Android on a tablet.

I really like the tablet form factor but mainly because input to excell sheets and word documents on the PRE is tedious at best even through Classic, and aggravating at worst through Classic.

A plus is that Data VIz is playing nicely with Android and I'd end up paying out yet again for a full use upgrade for document editing. But will the TP utilize any of the other DOC rendering/ editing programs like open office? and if yes is anyone using it? How transferrable are the documents? Seamless? or not at all?

Did I read that right - the camera is only usable for skype calls?

Lack of removable media is frustrating - I kind of want a way to take a photo with my real digital camera, edit it on a tablet and then upload to web. The TP doesn't seem to offer that ability.

Yeah there are cloud servers - but I'm not always near good signal. IF the Pre doesn't get decent signal - I doubt the TP would do any better - or does it?

Is anyone using those EYE-Fi Camera cards to send directly to the TP? Without the use of WI-Fi?

Can the TP transfer files via bluetooth? OR is the bluetooth still just for head phones? A work around for the camera thing would be to use a micro card/sd adapter in the camera, put into my old Centro ( or My T3), then send to the TP via bluetooth for editing.

Of course that brings to question is there a photo editing program available for the TP or am I tied to the cloud for a website editor?

The ASUS transformer has an impressive display and the ability to dock to the keyboard is neat, especially when it adds more battery and actual ports and a card reader. THe thrive is bulkier than the TP, but also offers ports. Screen is about equal. But its Android - which is an entirely foreign OS to me.

Acer offers a windows version of the Iconia - so that's also an option. I've been using one Note on my Convertible XP Tablet PC and like that program's simplicity.

Web OS has been great on the Pre - is it the whizz bang tablet program too? Is anyone out there using their TP for more than games and surfing the web?
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    To tell you the truth, if these are your needs, you probably should get another tablet, or wait a month and see what develops for the TP. While I like mine, there are few of the specific apps you're asking about. Here are a few specifics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    tweaks from Homebrew and personalization has been successful with Preware.
    There are very few customization tweaks for the TP We've begun to see a few, but they're a fraction of what you're used to.

I really like the tablet form factor but mainly because input to excell sheets and word documents on the PRE is tedious at best even through Classic, and aggravating at worst through Classic.
    There are very few productivity apps yet; but Quick Office is coming soon. That said, the virtual keyboard is easy to use, and the real keyboard is almost perfect!

A plus is that Data VIz is playing nicely with Android and I'd end up paying out yet again for a full use upgrade for document editing. But will the TP utilize any of the other DOC rendering/ editing programs like open office? and if yes is anyone using it? How transferrable are the documents? Seamless? or not
    Data Viz won't be out. As I mentioned, Quick Office should be soon. There has been some progress made with Open Office and other open source Linux apps, but they're still in the early stages. How seamless has yet to be seen, since the "official" app, Quick Office, isn't out yet, and the others are still very much experimental. This alone is the reason you may want to consider something else, or wait.

Did I read that right - the camera is only usable for skype calls?
    There's now a .99 camera app, but taking photos with the tablet seems awkward, at best.

Lack of removable media is frustrating - I kind of want a way to take a photo with my real digital camera, edit it on a tablet and then upload to web. The TP doesn't seem to offer that ability.
    I don't think a tablet computer is really your best option for editing. Too little fine control with a touch screen, and there definitely are no quality apps for this yet.

Can the TP transfer files via bluetooth? OR is the bluetooth still just for head phones? A work around for the camera thing would be to use a micro card/sd adapter in the camera, put into my old Centro ( or My T3), then send to the TP via bluetooth for editing.
    No BT transfer, though the BT is used for more than just the headset. No real editing yet on the TP either.

Web OS has been great on the Pre - is it the whizz bang tablet program too? Is anyone out there using their TP for more than games and surfing the web?
    I'm primarily using TapNotes for editing, putting the text into a PC based document editor for the final formatting; but it's only been a month. I believe we've only begun to scratch the surface on what's coming. But if you don't want to wait, like I said, I don't think this would be the device for you.
    Been reading about the TP, played with it a bit at Best Buy, also played with the THrive, Asus Transformer, Acer Iconia, Not exactly thrilled with the BB Zoom, or the Galaxy Tab and won't even bother with Apple. Of course WEB OS is most familiar to me and I'm not certain I want to learn an entirely new OS - only to then end up using Windows at Work and the home PC, then Web OS on the phone and possibly Android on a tablet.
    This is the part that makes me think maybe you should just wait a little while. Sounds like you really like webOS, but also want the productivity that comes with a more mature device. If you're not in a hurry, wait and see if you can get both.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Thanks for your input guys, the deal is almost too good to pass up so im going to get one,

Is there not a homebrew solution for the camera yet?
    De_Zire71 and MobileBill23 like this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgie View Post
    Thanks for your input guys, the deal is almost too good to pass up so im going to get one,

Is there not a homebrew solution for the camera yet?
    you can buy one for 79p :-)
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    To be clear, it stores cookies so you don't need to enter passwords for sites that support this, like this forum. For sites that insist on you logging in each time, there is no "pre-filled password" option, so you can just click enter to log in.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    To be clear, it stores cookies so you don't need to enter passwords for sites that support this, like this forum. For sites that insist on you logging in each time, there is no "pre-filled password" option, so you can just click enter to log in.
    thats not remember password, thats remember cookies. because the browser doesn't remember any passwords, it just remembers login sessions. I swear I discussed this same thing 2 to 3 times already here.

Password remembering always give users option about if they want to allow it or not. while cookies doesn't.

and most websites, will ask you to re-login from time to time for security reasons.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    oh I agree! I just wanted to point out why some people think it remembers passwords.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Did you actually get a TouchPad, or is your honest review based on what you've read?

BTW, mine remembers passwords quite well, not that it was an important feature to me.
    Yes, I owned one for 2 weeks before returing it, video was not tolerable for me.

And browser does not remember passwords, what you described has nothing to do with rememberig password, see explaination above.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Sturgie sounds like your use/needs are similar to mine, so I'll try and break it down for you.

For the record, I'm just stating what I use to do the things I want to do.....this isn't about whether or not these things should have been included natively....free...etc.

I'll begin by stating I've never owned anything Palm prior to Jan 2010 when I got my Pre. It's been a rollercoaster of a ride, a real love/hate/love/hate...(and so on)..relationship. I've had several Pre's, some my own fault, and some hardware. I've had Chuck Norris Pre's and I've also had spineless jellyfish Pre's (Pres just doesn't look right, even though grammatically correct )

My current Pre isn't one of the better ones I've had, so buying the TouchPad has been a welcome relief. About the only thing I use my Pre for now are:
    Phone Calls, Text Messaging, phnx here and there, PreCentral here and there, freeTether and that's about it.

My TouchPad has the following patches: Advanced Reset Options, Faster Card Animations HYPER, Muffle System Logging, Unset CFQ IO Scheduler, Unthrottle D/L Mgr.
    Overclocked to 1.728GHz ondemandctl running on webOS v3.0.2 (of course)

What won me over to buy one was the 2 weeks I had to wait while reading all the testimonials from those south of the 49th. By the end of the first week I had decided I HAD to get one....funny because a month or two before I still wasn't even sure what the hoopla was all about, and I have a pretty decent PC ... I wasn't sure if I even needed one. (moving on..)

Start with the basics

I use Advanced Browser (got it free with SecuStore2 (password manager)). It's decent, and better than the native one. Very similar interface as Opera Speed Dial, which I use at home. I don't have that many bookmarks in yet but have a half dozen or so, and it works well for me. The tabs are great, I like them far better than having a few different web cards open. I opened 5 tabs one time and when I was done opening the last tab, went back to the first and it was open.
    Combine the two, and it isn't that hard to copy/paste your saved passwords from Secu to the password field in the browser. Total price for the 2 with the deal $9.99, not sure when the price is going up but Secu will be $14.99 and AB will be $1.99.

Native Email works for me, some don't like it...mine opens in 2 seconds, period. You can save Photos sent directly to photos, or just open and look. Prior to 3.0.2 I tried sending myself ringtones from my PC via email, it would just stream them before, now I can save them directly. Speaking of which, I was trying to avoid using cables to exchange files from PC to TouchPad. I forgot about Wifi Media Sync which I had on my Pre, had to replace my Pre and couldn't re-download due to not being available <2.0 I found it in the catalog thanks to some genius ( ) and although not a full screen size version, accomplishes the same thing (dev is working on HD)

Can't say anything about the Calendar...I use it to see the date and that's about it. I have Facebook that reminds me of birthdays, if I remember to check. Speaking of, one good thing about the Facebook app, it will give you the whole month of birthdays in advance, maybe I missed that on the normal web version, but I hardly even use Facebook anymore...tired of Free Gifts, and Poker Chips, and Free Farm Animals, and Free Tokens for yadayadayada... So that being said, I don't use the app much, but it is kinda cool, and has a neat magazine style, I don't even know what you call it, lol.

The Maps for me is hit and miss....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't know why, I've asked around and nobody seems to know. Oh well, good thing I know my city well, the whole province and the ones on either side as well

Music app...my main squeeze. Could be better, I'm not going to lie. It's a shame @hedami isn't redoing MPR for TouchPad, that would have been SWEET, but he told me the scenario....I don't really blame him. It's pretty bare bones but being that I'm on the road all the time, nice to have 20 GB music on hand for the 7 hours of driving I do every night.

Photo/Video app....is a little better than when I first got it. Video playback in proper format is good, good enough for the size of the screen if you have a decent copy. Some people don't like having all their Facebook albums sync to the device, I like it and thought it was a cool feature. To each their own.

There's your basics. Out of all the apps on my Pre 49 of them scaled to size.

Some of my fav apps: Epicurious (30,000+ recipes, from Hot Dogs to Fricassee of Game Hen with Creamy Leeks and Vadoum) (easy to hard ) Glow Hockey HD... the demo was ok on the Pre, this is actually playable with 2 people and fun. KalemSoft MediaPlayer, I can stream movies without conversion on my home wifi or through freeTether...works great, TorrentTouch ProHD controls uTorrent on my PC start/stop torrents or search new ones also works great. Where To Go? ....need to find something...anything....you can....fast. Quaker HD...fun app lets you know where every earthquake is in the world. ScreamagerHD ...want to stand on the street corner and beg for change with style? This app is it Calgary Herald...might not apply to you...but for me, a great electronic copy (and free) of the local rag. How could I not mention Angry Birds...mybad.. nice on the JumboTron.

That's my rundown, take it as you will. I bought it at full price (-$70 instant rebate, Canada) and not looking back. I use it all the time, take it everywhere, I'm getting my money's worth, the apps although not a whole lot, have been coming in steady, hopefully more to come. Even if they were to stop tomorrow, HP pulls out and abandons...I'll still be using my TouchPad

(breathe, )
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    my reply to you is simple, you are already familiar with webOS. If you like what you have on the phone the tablet brings it to the next level.

add in the patches from internals and there is no question you will be a happy camper. Plus you get 50 gigs of online storage.... Well in the US anyhow, so unless you have specific UK apps you need I would consider setting up ure touchpad as a US one.

apple charges 60 dollars a year for that privilege.... I just hope box.net adds synergy support for photos and maybe even music too. That would be so great!

anyway, HP is by far the best value out right now and certainly webOS has the biggest potential...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Yes, I owned one for 2 weeks before returing it, video was not tolerable for me.

And browser does not remember passwords, what you described has nothing to do with rememberig password, see explaination above.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    If I remember right, KalemSoft Media Player, which is available for the Touchpad, was released on the third week after launch. KalemSoft MP can play a boatload of video formats (.avi, .mpg, .mkv, .m4v, .mp4). If you bought a Touchpad on launch day and returned it two weeks later you missed having a good video player by one week. Also, if you were following the app forum you would have known that the player was in the pipeline right before you took yours back. Oh ye of little faith.

BTW, most tablet default video players only play a handful of formats (usually only .mp4 or .avi). Especially the ones that sell videos in their app stores. I believe this is an agreement with the movie companies. Regardless of which tablet you decide to purchase, you will need a third party video app or a codec pack to play formats other than the default. KalemSoft MP is there for the Touchpad.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast