Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Because, guess what, nobody else here is arguing touchpad browser has that function, even those who *KNOW* this function may be dangerous.

Fixed that for you.

@Herb, he is talking about the ridiculous function MS convinced every (not sure how to put this...) average user they needed. Where their browser remembers secure logins. Like to your CC company or bank, where you get the pop-up to ask if you want the super unsecure browser to remember your secure account number/login and password.

I have honestly NEVER used this function, I will use the cookies on forums, but like me, Herb I am sure you haven't noticed the "lack" of this function because you are probably smart enough to not use it in your normal secure browsing, let along on a portable device where when lost or stolen would allow complete access to you info.

Also I would like to add that I do believe some sites have actually gone to blocking the PW saving function Clevin is talking about, I don't believe I ever get the option on my banking sites, but then again when I login from my secure work PC, I have it set as a shared PC so I have to go thru extra verification every time on them.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Fixed that for you.

@Herb, he is talking about the ridiculous function MS convinced every (not sure how to put this...) average user they needed. Where their browser remembers secure logins. Like to your CC company or bank, where you get the pop-up to ask if you want the super unsecure browser to remember your secure account number/login and password.

I have honestly NEVER used this function, I will use the cookies on forums, but like me, Herb I am sure you haven't noticed the "lack" of this function because you are probably smart enough to not use it.

Also I would like to add that I do believe some sites have actually gone to blocking the PW saving function Clevin is talking about, I don't believe I ever get the option on my banking sites, but then again when I login from my secure work PC, I have it set as a shared PC so I have to go thru extra verification every time on them.
    wait, i let that one go because I thought it was off topic, so you do want to discuss the necessity/"meaningless-ness" of the function?

On top of my head, there are several reasons for a good password manager:

1. most people will have many many many passwords, its difficult to remember all of those.
    2. password remembrance on all browsers can be turned off if users don't like it, its a simple option, nobody is forcing you to use it.
    3. Its especially more difficult to type all the passwords on a tablet, there fore makes the function more important.
    4. larger chance of avoiding key logger.

now, lets hearing your "security risk" reasons.
    Okay well, first @2 I said I didn't think it shouldn't be there. @1 People need to deal with that. @3 I have no problem typing on my tablet @4 key logger??? we are talking about webOS right? and if you have a key logger, you probably are just as likely to have something dumping that PW database stored on your device.

To answer all your needs, buy a proper PW program like secure store or lastpass, etc. It will handle all your needs across multiple devices and actually encrypt the information and be more secure than a browser.

Okay In the quote, I already mentioned the biggest security risk... your device is not under your control, any password stored in the browser is now an instant login. With programs mentioned above you at least have to enter the PW to the program to get into the PW database. Using a browser, the browser has no security, go to the site and you are in.

I am sure you will find some way to argue this, but you are around these forums enough, and I assume smart enough to know everything I am saying is not only true but completely correct and factual. Now you may want password storage and I never said it shouldn't be there, but I will still say it shouldn't be used in a browser. People trust their web browser to store far to much information that should be better secured.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    there are downsides if you happen to lose your device, or get stolen somehow. But if that happens, don't you get chance to remotely wipe it?

For most people that happens to have full control of their devices, can you just ignore the advantages of remembering passwords?

Its not about arguing anything, its about you aren't willing to admit any advantage of this function, which is obvious for many people.
    Did you notice I mentioned various choices for securely storing those passwords.

As far as remote wipe, that is something that is slightly easier on a device with a cell radio since it is more likely to be online. As soon as someone puts in a new profile you can no longer remote wipe. Also something like a WiFi only tablet is more likely to be offline, and as all of us know, data can be dumped from the device without wifi.

I understand why some might want the feature (never said I didn't), I will not agree that it is a good feature.

At this point if you have read what I posted you will understand my points and know I understand yours. Either way I think this has run it's course.
    hparsons likes this.
    I understand why some might want the feature (never said I didn't), I will not agree that it is a good feature.
    This is nonsensical. You could simply and utterely *not* store your passwords, you could turn it off, never to be asked again. As ALL platforms, from tablets to laptops do it. Are suggesting Desktop Web Browsers should get rid of it (they run on laptops)?
    Dial it back, please. If we can't discuss this without attacking each other, we will need to close this thread.

<<Thread cleaned>>
    sturgie likes this.
    Fixed that for you.

I have honestly NEVER used this function, I will use the cookies on forums, but like me, Herb I am sure you haven't noticed the "lack" of this function because you are probably smart enough to not use it in your normal secure browsing, let along on a portable device where when lost or stolen would allow complete access to you info.

Oh, I understood every bit of that, and knew what he was talking about. However, his generalization was false, and I wanted to ensure folks reading his rants understood that the browser does indeed remember passwords for what most people would want t use them for.

And yes, I'm aware the many secure sites long ago disabled cookies remembering secure information, and are now thwarting the feature you're discussing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Dial it back, please. If we can't discuss this without attacking each other, we will need to close this thread.

<<Thread cleaned>>
    Sorry Bev if any of that was me.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oh, I understood every bit of that, and knew what he was talking about. However, his generalization was false, and I wanted to ensure folks reading his rants understood that the browser does indeed remember passwords for what most people would want t use them for.

And yes, I'm aware the many secure sites long ago disabled cookies remembering secure information, and are now thwarting the feature you're discussing.
    Yeah I figured you were on the same page, just that I had had the same discussion with him or someone else in another thread. So I was trying to get at the meat of the issue to hopefully kill it.

@the mods and everyone else, sorry if I have been coming off with an attitude lately but these threads and front page comments of false facts have been getting me going lately. Especially with the influx of the new users with the TP launch, and even more after this weekends sales, I am trying to keep facts on the forums. I just get frustrated repeating what I or others have said when the fallacies are allowed to stay on these forums (not an complaint about the moderation) and the only way to combat them is to continue to repost facts to refute the fallacies. As those of you that read my posts know, I point(ed) everything out succinctly in a single post, but then often have to repost several times the same information to the same person.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    This is nonsensical. You could simply and utterely *not* store your passwords, you could turn it off, never to be asked again. As ALL platforms, from tablets to laptops do it. Are suggesting Desktop Web Browsers should get rid of it (they run on laptops)?
    Please read the entirety of this thread, I have addressed your comment more than once, actually addressed it in exactly what you quoted. Thanks.

There is zero research suggesting cookie alone is how users want a browser handles logins. You cannot throw out statement like that. In fact, the very fact that all browser provide the function itself, shows how popular this function is.

Cookies doesn't cotain any strings remotely close to users' passwords, therefore there is absolutely no passwords being remembered by a touchpad browser. You are mis-characterize the two functions, thats gonna confuse users, and that will not help them makeing sound decisions.
    I'll repeat, my TouchPad remembers passwords just fine. I've not entered my password for this forum since I first logged into it on my TouchPad.
    Most people have more logins to more websites, not just this place. Maybe this place allows cookies for a long time, that itself is a security risk as somebody mentioned above.

Its not appropriate to argue against a well established, useful function with your experience on one wevsite.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123