Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have been wanting to buy either a TouchPad or iPad for myself for a few weeks. I currently own an iPhone with personal hotspot to internet that is bluetooth connectable. I have asked at several stores whether my personal hotspot will work with TouchPad and can't get an answer. The demo models in the store don't have working bluetooth, so I can't check.

I really want a TouchPad, but want to connect to the internet through the phone
    Hmm, that's a really good question. I don't know if the TP can get Internet via bluetooth. Let me see if I can figure out a way to test that.
    If you phone provides personal hotspot internet via wifi, then any wifi device, including the TouchPad, should connect just fine to it. If you want to connect the TouchPad to your phone via bluetooth, then I'll leave that to the others here to answer.

I think it comes down to whether the current bluetooth stack on the TouchPad since the 3.0.2 update includes PAN support.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The connection is via bluetooth, not wifi. I can use the 3G on my iPhone to connect my HP laptop to the internet once they are bluetooth connected. The only broadband available at my house is via satellite (in the country) and 3G.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksevern View Post
    The connection is via bluetooth, not wifi. I can use the 3G on my iPhone to connect my HP laptop to the internet once they are bluetooth connected. The only broadband available at my house is via satellite (in the country) and 3G.
    Without a hack/patch to the touchpad it's not possible to connect it to your iphone via bluetooth. Alternatively you could jailbreak your iphone and tether it to the touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Without a hack/patch to the touchpad it's not possible to connect it to your iphone via bluetooth. Alternatively you could jailbreak your iphone and tether it to the touchpad.
    Looks like that's the case. I just tried using Freetether to connect my Palm Pre and TouchPad. They connect to each other, but the TouchPad still complains it has no Internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Alternatively you could jailbreak your iphone and tether it to the touchpad.
    This is certainly an option. If you "jailbreak" your iphone, you'll be able to use one of the free hotspot apps that shares over wifi instead of bluetooth, which is generally more convenient and will eliminate the root of the problem here. Btw, sharing internet over wifi will also let you connect more than one device to your phone at a time, which could be nice.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Despite not being able to connect to wifi via my iphone (it's a 3GS, no wifi), I bought the 32g model after work yesterday and took it home, coupled with a new router. Worked great! Since I have WildBlue internet at my house, I knew I would have to wait until I got to work (using university wifi) to update the software, etc.

Well, it does not want to play well with the university's wifi... and I've been on the phone with HP and with my IT. We have wpa-enterprise and the tech on the phone insists that I should be able to type in manually the university info. I have told her four times exactly what is there and she doesn't seem to believe me.

Do others get a place to enter manual wifi settings?

I really, really want this to work, but if I can't use it at work, it's going back to BestBuy today.
    Despite not being able to connect to wifi via my iphone (it's a 3GS, no wifi), I bought the 32g model after work yesterday and took it home, coupled with a new router. Worked great! Since I have WildBlue internet at my house, I knew I would have to wait until I got to work (using university wifi) to update the software, etc.

Well, it does not want to play well with the university's wifi... and I've been on the phone with HP and with my IT. We have wpa-enterprise and the tech on the phone insists that I should be able to type in manually the university info. I have told her four times exactly what is there and she doesn't seem to believe me.

Do others get a place to enter manual wifi settings?

I really, really want this to work, but if I can't use it at work, it's going back to BestBuy today.
    I'm not sure exactly. I didn't have to do anything manual, but I am sure there's a way to do it. And, just to make sure, you are indeed running webOS 3.0.2, correct?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Thanks Rob. The HP Butler lady tells me that you cannot change settings of a network manually until you are connected to that network.....!!! (After she said that, she said, 'oh, how woudl that work).

I have installed the security certificate for the university via USB connection.
    Still no joy. On hold again as they try to puzzle out how I can manually do the settings if I can't connect to the network.... off hold. They say they are moving this to level three and I should hear back in a few days....

Sigh.

Damn, I really wanted this to work. I already returned the iPad2 because I wanted this one.
    Good gosh, that's just crazy. You can only change settings after you're connected? That's ridiculous.

Good luck with level 3 support. How long do you have before you must return the TP?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    12 days, 4 hours. However, I am pretty hot about this.. . I am hooked up to someone's random wifi and have almost got the webOS update downloaded. Maybe that will solve something. Sigh.

I threw out the problem to a university alumni/student forum.... maybe one of those 75,000 folks have solved the problem. If not, there will be some pretty mad mommies and daddies when their freshmen show up and can't connect! (Pretty sure some of the 8300 freshmen got a Touchpad this week).
    Yeah, definitely get that 3.0.2 update. It's a good one. After that begin troubleshooting again with HP Butler. 3.0.0 was a mess for a lot of people. A lot of folks had wifi problems with 3.0.0.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Successfully updated software by making my hp mini be a mobile hotspot.
    Does not allow me to login to WPA2 network. Sigh.
    Now the screen seems very dim. (???) with contrast all the way up.
    Good, you updated. Man, what is up with your TP? That's ridiculous. I use WPA2 at home with no troubles, though I do not use Enterprise WPA2, which is what you use.

I don't know why your screen would be dim.
    Successfully updated software by making my hp mini be a mobile hotspot.
    Does not allow me to login to WPA2 network. Sigh.
    Now the screen seems very dim. (???) with contrast all the way up.
    You may want to turn the Auto-Dim function off on the device. Go to the Screen & Lock app and set Auto-Dim to "OFF". This will keep the ambient light sensor from kicking in and lowering the screen brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Looks like that's the case. I just tried using Freetether to connect my Palm Pre and TouchPad. They connect to each other, but the TouchPad still complains it has no Internet connection.
    You're doing it wrong, then, because I use freetether to tether my touchpad wirelessly all the time. Works great. You have to wait a minute or so for the ip address to configure.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    You're doing it wrong, then, because I use freetether to tether my touchpad wirelessly all the time. Works great. You have to wait a minute or so for the ip address to configure.
    The OP was asking about tethering via Bluetooth. I tried that and was unable to get Internet to my TP via Freetether and Bluetooth, not WiFi. WiFi and Freetether does work great, you're right.