Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Even at $300 people aren't going to rush out and buy the Touchpad. It all boils down to more bang for your buck. The reason I skipped purchasing the TP because it didn't have the basic hardware specs required for all tablets not named ipad which is HDMI out, 5MP or more front/back camera, slim design, and a SD card slot. Honestly is there really a big difference between 16gb and 32gb built-in hard drive? HP should 've forget a 32gb model and just sold a 16gb with a SD slot.

With the stated above and leaving the OS as is with no change at least TP would be competing with other tablets. Now to take it a step further netflix app should've been built-in along with doc editing. Then have the OS running as fast as the current overclock patch and price the TP at $400 and you would have a serious ipad competitor. The icing on the cake would be to launch the pre 3 at the same time (maybe priced with a discount if buying a TP pre3 bundle).

If HP were able to do the above along with the hardware bump on the 7" tablet and launch it with the Pre 3 on sprint by end of Sept I don't see why webos couldn't become a hit product.

Edit: Forgot to add working camera app and GPS.
    Last edited by Dvigilante1; 08/05/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Cool story bro.
    akshunj and dj ozone like this.
    Really, it NEEDS HDMI out? It NEEDS a camera? It NEEDS an SD slot given 50 GB free storage on Box?
    Really? I've owned a Touchpad for a month, and never once felt the desire for a camera, or HDMI, or SD slot.
    Maybe YOU need these features, and if so, GREAT! Go buy a tablet that has them.

Netflix? Not HP's fault. Doc editing? It's on its way.
    I nominate OP for being the next Precentral front page writer. Really riveting stuff.
    bluenote likes this.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Siah1214 ftw!
    The stock level of touchpads at staples stores across the United States disagrees with your post.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Need to remember, this is the first gen TP, I'm pretty sure they will have different models at different price points just like laptops. 2012 will be a crazy webos year I'm telling you.
    I didn't buy the TouchPad because I don't want a tablet.

kthxbye.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Really, it NEEDS HDMI out? It NEEDS a camera? It NEEDS an SD slot given 50 GB free storage on Box?
    Really? I've owned a Touchpad for a month, and never once felt the desire for a camera, or HDMI, or SD slot.
    Maybe YOU need these features, and if so, GREAT! Go buy a tablet that has them.

Netflix? Not HP's fault. Doc editing? It's on its way.
    That's great that your happy with the TP as is. But you have to recognise something is missing which is causing TP sales to slump. Majority of the reviews for webos are positive. What do you see as the reasoning for poor sales?
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    The stock level of touchpads at staples stores across the United States disagrees with your post.
    LOL. Please provide a link where it states TP are sold out at Staples. I stopped by one yesterday and they had four. If anything ppl are buying because of the discounts. How long will HP to keep the price low?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    LOL. Please provide a link where it states TP are sold out at Staples. I stopped by one yesterday and they had four
    Sure.

HP TouchPad now $200 off at Staples -- it's like Christmas in August -- Engadget

Normal bait and switch type thing, you have to use the coupon in-store, but of course they don't have any in the store. Just checked within 50 miles in Denver, and 0.
    HP TouchPad discounted to $399.99 this weekend; Updated x2: $299.99 at Staples | This is my next...
    Nathan 4 minutes ago
    They would be $299. But the 16GB version is out of stock everywhere within a hundred miles of me. So I'll have to hope for broader price cuts in the coming months.

Cindy Siebert 45 minutes ago in reply to robschoenfeld
    How would $299 for the 16 GB HP Touchpad not be way cheaper thatn the 16 GB iPad 2?

I was going to take get me an early anniversary gift, but all the Staples in my area are out of stock on the 16 GB. They all have the 32 GB, but that's still just a bit too much for my pocketbook.
    Brett Heroux 1 hour ago
    Unfortuneately, all 16gb Models are sold out within a 200 mile radius of my Wilmington, NC Staples. I just went into the store to buy one. I was pretty excited as I am ready to get into the WebOS Ecosystem. I guess I will hold off on the tablet and purchase a pre3 to replace my N1 when it drops. I just have been really unlucky with my iPad that work gave me. It closes apps all the time. I will be typing in safari only to end up at the home screen. This was a unit that was reset to factory defaults no more than 2 months ago. I was really hoping to have one in hand today :/
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    LOL. Please provide a link where it states TP are sold out at Staples. I stopped by one yesterday and they had four. If anything ppl are buying because of the discounts. How long will HP to keep the price low?
    Oh you want some links huh?

HP TouchPad Tablet 9.7" with Wi-Fi, 32GB | Staples®

HP TouchPad Tablet 9.7" with Wi-Fi, 16GB | Staples®

While I don't dispute that the TP has space for improvement, your statement is all about the bang for the buck. Buck here refers to the price. So obviously at a certain price point, the bang for the back will be at equity with the current leader and any lower it'll surpass it. What that price is ... ? *shrug*
    tl;dr.
    That's great that your happy with the TP as is. But you have to recognise something is missing which is causing TP sales to slump. Majority of the reviews for webos are positive. What do you see as the reasoning for poor sales?
    Because it's a month old product that doesn't have recognition yet. Winning over an entire market dominated by a single product doesn't happen over night. I'm surprised things are going as well as they are!
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Because it's a month old product that doesn't have recognition yet. Winning over an entire market dominated by a single product doesn't happen over night. I'm surprised things are going as well as they are!
    Having the TP being sold at a $200 less than lauch price which was only a month ago is not good news. What happens when the discounts are over next week?

If you make a good product people will by it. ASUS transformer is selling like hot cakes. 400,000 last month alone. And Transformer 2 will be released in Oct.
    When I read about the tp being $100 off, I sent it to a lotta buddies that are still in the market. I like the tp... but I already have two ipad2.

One buddy that has an ipad2 but thinking of another tablet for the wife I let him know... and about the $200 savings... he's really not an apple fan but thats what he bought (IT Director).

He came back at me with...

"You like that webos eh. I would get the Samsung 10.1 if I was getting anything. With that HP you are just getting an IPad2 without the apps, gps, camera, or HD out."

I was really surprised because $200 is $200!! but even then, some people may look at it just like he does.

Having the TP being sold at a $200 less than lauch price which was only a month ago is not good news. What happens when the discounts are over next week?

If you make a good product people will by it. ASUS transformer is selling like hot cakes. 400,000 last month alone. And Transformer 2 will be released in Oct.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Complete BS number. The newest estimate is Asus selling 2 million tablets (in total) for the whole year.

ASUS may sell 2 million tablets this year

They estimate RIM selling 2 million playbook for the year --- complete disaster.

They estimate Asus selling 2 million tablets for the year --- complete big hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Complete BS number. The newest estimate is Asus selling 2 million tablets (in total) for the whole year.

ASUS may sell 2 million tablets this year

They estimate RIM selling 2 million playbook for the year --- complete disaster.

They estimate Asus selling 2 million tablets for the year --- complete big hit.
    It's the best selling android tab, ergo it's a hit. Yeah, it's stupid.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast