Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    That's great that your happy with the TP as is. But you have to recognise something is missing which is causing TP sales to slump. Majority of the reviews for webos are positive. What do you see as the reasoning for poor sales?
    If slumping sales means number 2 and 7 on amazon.com then what do you define as good sales?
    That's great that your happy with the TP as is. But you have to recognise something is missing which is causing TP sales to slump. Majority of the reviews for webos are positive. What do you see as the reasoning for poor sales?
    Poor sale!! Well you state that the TouchPad isn't selling well. Have you looked at amazons best selling list? Which the TouchPad is #2 for the 16gb and #7 for the 32gb? O and guess what? the ipad isn't #1,so how arethey not selling well? Especailly after the price drop?! I agree it would be nice to have those specs but I would rather them work on perfecting the OS and making it faster and run more smoothly.Apps will come so that is not a deal breaker. I think you need to rethink your assumptions.
    The reason I skipped purchasing the TP because it didn't have the basic hardware specs required for all tablets not named ipad which is HDMI out, 5MP or more front/back camera, slim design, and a SD card slot. Honestly is there really a big difference between 16gb and 32gb built-in hard drive? HP should 've forget a 32gb model and just sold a 16gb with a SD slot.
    those are all stupid reasons for MOST people.

I dont need HDMI out...and I sure wouldnt want to connect my touchpad to my 65" Panasonic. And I sure wouldnt want to tie up the device watching that. Ive got a laptop and a ps3 for that.

I dont need a 5mp or more front/back camera. Why? I have a 14 megapixel Canon IS thats small and portable. I have a pre2 thats easy to hold and take pictures. Why on earth would I want a 3rd digital camera thats the lowest resolution of them all and try and take pictures with a 10" picture frame? And why do I need 5 megapixels for video conferencing that doesnt support 5 megapixels? Waste. No thanks.

Slim design? for what? am I putting it in my back pocket? no. then an 1/8" doesnt matter. Lemme guess, you want books to be finer print and smaller too? no. then again, doesnt matter.

sd card slot for?????? oh wait, my digital camera is the only thing that uses sd and Id rather not use a tablet for photo editing.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    omahawildcat and khe05 like this.
    lol... reading your sig and seeing your a pre owner, you obviously are a webos fan and have a preference for webos so thats why you can say that.

but MOST people will be new to webos and will know next to nothing about it. they will see it in the store and play with it and be attracted to the ui... but then they will ask those questions that WILL come up... how does it compare to the ipad or 10.1 or checking the specs with the models next to them...

and even though chances are they will never use hdmi or maybe they wont use the back or even the front camera, etc..., they dont really even know what they will do with webos so they will compare so that when they do find a use for a tablet, they wanna find the one that will have all the features they can grow into and not regret that they passed up that feature later. and then they start asking how many apps even though they will never use a million+ apps.

if you dont know the product, you use something to base your decision and stuff thats what they will do... especially when you are paying the same price as an ipad.

Thats what MOST people will do... whether those things are stupid or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

I dont need HDMI out...and I sure wouldnt want to connect my touchpad to my 65" Panasonic. And I sure wouldnt want to tie up the device watching that. Ive got a laptop and a ps3 for that.

I dont need a 5mp or more front/back camera. Why? I have a 14 megapixel Canon IS thats small and portable. I have a pre2 thats easy to hold and take pictures. Why on earth would I want a 3rd digital camera thats the lowest resolution of them all and try and take pictures with a 10" picture frame? And why do I need 5 megapixels for video conferencing that doesnt support 5 megapixels? Waste. No thanks.

Slim design? for what? am I putting it in my back pocket? no. then an 1/8" doesnt matter. Lemme guess, you want books to be finer print and smaller too? no. then again, doesnt matter.

sd card slot for?????? oh wait, my digital camera is the only thing that uses sd and Id rather not use a tablet for photo editing.
    Last edited by donm527; 08/05/2011 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Really, it NEEDS HDMI out? It NEEDS a camera? It NEEDS an SD slot given 50 GB free storage on Box?
    Really? I've owned a Touchpad for a month, and never once felt the desire for a camera, or HDMI, or SD slot.
    Maybe YOU need these features, and if so, GREAT! Go buy a tablet that has them.

Netflix? Not HP's fault. Doc editing? It's on its way.
    You left out guacamole. It needs guacamole. Everything is better witch guacamole. I like guacamole. HP needs guacamole.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    lol... reading your sig and seeing your a pre owner, you obviously are a webos fan and have a preference for webos so thats why you can say that.
    In my home RIGHT NOW

palm pre 2 (webos)
    hp touchpad (webos)
    ipad (ios)
    blackberry bold (bbos)
    zune hd (windows phone 7 beta)
    Evo 3D (android)

so, be careful suggesting im biased. I own ALL the major mobile operating systems at current
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    This may qualify as the most ironic post ever in a forum
    Even at $300 people aren't going to rush out and buy the Touchpad...
    From the Engadget article same day:
    HPTouchPad now $200 off at Staples -- it's like Christmas in August

Here are very good detailed instructions:

$200 off TouchPad at Staples?!

And right now at $300 every Staples in the US is selling every TouchPad they have. People are also taking the coupons to Best Buy and Office Depot.

It turns out that at $300, HP can sell as many TouchPads as Foxconn could make.

...What do you see as the reasoning for poor sales?
    It turned out it was the price.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/06/2011 at 09:35 PM.
    oooo.... ok. you like toys.

so i change and say YOU dont see any use for those things you mentioned like HDMI or cameras, etc....

but IMO I feel my argument holds true... to a newbie to webos and tabs, they wont know what they will need or not. actually you dont know if after time THEY will find that they can use HDMI for their work and be more productive or use the cameras, etc or that MOST people wont find usage for it. you say it because thats YOUR opinion.

a newbies gonna count features when putting two units of similar price. and unless they are completely blown away from the ui that the other specs dont matter, the one that has more specs for the same price will win.

like me... i have no knowledge of the latest and greatest LCD tvs or plasmas... but if I am in the market at end of year and I say I want the best for $2000, I'm gonna go to best buy, look at all $2000 units and if the picture quality looks pretty much same, I will start comparing specs down to which have more HDMI or USB or component ports and built in 3d... even though i probably wont even use the darn 3d... and after an hour of walking between all the TVs 50 times, I'll probably pick the one I think has the most in specs.

In my home RIGHT NOW

palm pre 2 (webos)
    hp touchpad (webos)
    ipad (ios)
    blackberry bold (bbos)
    zune hd (windows phone 7 beta)
    Evo 3D (android)

so, be careful suggesting im biased. I own ALL the major mobile operating systems at current
    It turns out that at $299 people no longer seem to care about the number of apps, microSD, HDMI, rear camera, HD recording, too fat, too heavy, low def screen, no voice commands, or anything else.

The only bad TouchPad spec all along was price.

If Staples had a million TouchPads in their local stores they would all sell out this weekend at $299.

A good price forgives a lot of sins.

Here are very good detailed instructions:

$200 off TouchPad at Staples?!

Here is the coupon and background.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/06/2011 at 09:35 PM.
    yep For $299 they figure that the lack of everything that the ipad has is priced in. people tell them it doesnt have hdmi or this or that... their ok because they paid $200 less.

at same price, people feel it's gotta have everything the other has.

it's all mental dude

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It turns out that at $299 people no longer seem to care about the number of apps, microSD, HDMI, rear camera, HD recording, too thick, too heavy, low def screen, or anything else.

If Staples had a million TouchPads in their local stores they would all sell out this weekend at $299.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    The stock level of touchpads at staples stores across the United States disagrees with your post.
    don't say that. i was just about to go out and buy one!
    you should submit the $200 off on slickdeals.net because you are pretty much right... people find out a tp is selling for $299 and thats $200 off, whatever they have in stock could be all gone by end of day. I've seen it with slickdeal stuff.

$299 is a great bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It turns out that at $299 people no longer seem to care about the number of apps, microSD, HDMI, rear camera, HD recording, too fat, too heavy, low def screen, no voice commands, or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    oooo.... ok. you like toys.

so i change and say YOU dont see any use for those things you mentioned like HDMI or cameras, etc....

but IMO I feel my argument holds true... to a newbie to webos and tabs, they wont know what they will need or not. actually you dont know if after time THEY will find that they can use HDMI for their work and be more productive or use the cameras, etc or that MOST people wont find usage for it. you say it because thats YOUR opinion.

a newbies gonna count features when putting two units of similar price. and unless they are completely blown away from the ui that the other specs dont matter, the one that has more specs for the same price will win.

like me... i have no knowledge of the latest and greatest LCD tvs or plasmas... but if I am in the market at end of year and I say I want the best for $2000, I'm gonna go to best buy, look at all $2000 units and if the picture quality looks pretty much same, I will start comparing specs down to which have more HDMI or USB or component ports and built in 3d... even though i probably wont even use the darn 3d... and after an hour of walking between all the TVs 50 times, I'll probably pick the one I think has the most in specs.
    So you shop strictly by features an don't bother considering whether you will ever use them? Man, stores *love* consumers like that. I consider the available features, but then weigh them against my needs and buy what I can afford that still gives me the features that I really want.
    What do you see as the reasoning for poor sales?
    That same thing that's leaving other devices in the single digit share - it's not an iPad.

At this point in time, there's nothing to indicate there is a tablet market, only an iPad market.

It's an uphill battle for every other maker.

If you make a good product people will by it. ASUS transformer is selling like hot cakes. 400,000 last month alone. And Transformer 2 will be released in Oct.
    I hate to break it to you but those are sales to retailers (stuffing the channel), not to customers. They'll be lucky to sell 2M the whole year.
    i know man... crazy huh? but do you think i am that different from the average dude that goes in there?

I mean I'll do research on it and walk in with an idea and if i find the one I want then I'll buy it. but if i find a few tvs that meet my initial criteria, then something will kick in and start looking at specs and start comparing and seeing that, for the same $$$, what does this have that makes it more compelling over the other.

yeah i may not use it... but for same price.. better to have extra and not use it, then regret later if i needed it. right?

but... if two tvs meet everything i am looking for but one is $500 less and the only difference is that one has only two HDMI ports instead of 8... then I'll get the one for$ 500 less cause I can't even think of how I am gonna even use one and can live without the 6 extra for $500. If later I find out I needed 6, I still wont feel bad cause I still paid $500 less and wasnt the same price as the one with 6 ports.

isnt that just human nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    So you shop strictly by features an don't bother considering whether you will ever use them? Man, stores *love* consumers like that. I consider the available features, but then weigh them against my needs and buy what I can afford that still gives me the features that I really want.
    So, anyone tried playing with one of those Eye-Fi SD cards yet?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I love my Touchpad but absence of hdmi, sd card or at least USB input from a camera were serious omissions. I mentioned this in a post on taking my TP overseas and absence of these two functions sent me running to my wife's laptop. Secondly if this is aimed at enterprise how are business professionals supposed to exhibit their presentations?
    OP, i think the problem with your post can be best explained with the old saying "numbers don't lie". Since updating the OS and reducing the price, the TouchPad has been moving units at a rapid pace...

Would it have sold better with the hardware you've mentioned? maybe... but the current state of business shows that there is a market for this device, AS IS, so long as its performance and price are inline with consumer expectations.
    well for the shake of everyone, esp the early adopter who paid MSRP, it's high time HP rename this product as touchwood.
    Even at $300 people aren't going to rush out and buy the Touchpad. It all boils down to more bang for your buck. The reason I skipped purchasing the TP because it didn't have the basic hardware specs required for all tablets not named ipad which is HDMI out, 5MP or more front/back camera, slim design, and a SD card slot. Honestly is there really a big difference between 16gb and 32gb built-in hard drive? HP should 've forget a 32gb model and just sold a 16gb with a SD slot.

With the stated above and leaving the OS as is with no change at least TP would be competing with other tablets. Now to take it a step further netflix app should've been built-in along with doc editing. Then have the OS running as fast as the current overclock patch and price the TP at $400 and you would have a serious ipad competitor. The icing on the cake would be to launch the pre 3 at the same time (maybe priced with a discount if buying a TP pre3 bundle).

If HP were able to do the above along with the hardware bump on the 7" tablet and launch it with the Pre 3 on sprint by end of Sept I don't see why webos couldn't become a hit product.

Edit: Forgot to add working camera app and GPS.
    Have you thought of starting a company to build YOUR perfect tablet? Seems like the best answer to me. I'm surprised HP didn't reach out to you prior to the final build - I mean, who knew???
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast