Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Since Amazon has started selling the Touchpad for $399 and 499, both 16 gb and 32 gb have moved into the top 10 selling tablets on Amazon (right now #5 and #7 respectively)
    Up until yesterday, the tablets had been at #18 and #40 (32 gb and 16 gb)
    So, now we know what it takes to move the Touchpad: make it cheaper. This is good for us and good for HP. Let's hope it continues.
    wow! thats good news..! I remember seeing 32GB TP at #4 during initial perorder days.. Hope its improves on that..
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    mo mentum
    Good on them! This is what they needed to do. The TP is a solid device, no not a "number one plus" device, but a good one. Make it affordable, market the heck out of it, provide application options, be proactive about hardware problems, keep encouraging app developers.

This will give people an incentive to give it a try. Not all of them, but most of them will like the experience and keep the device. Now you have number that cannot be ignored.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    nice, good to see momentum building!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Now all they have to do is *advertise* it at this price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Now all they have to do is *advertise* it at this price point.
    They have been. There have been several TV spots this week leading up to their $100 off sale.
    If HP can afford to sell TPs at low profit, no profit, or even minus profit but can recoup later in app sales and other webOS related ventures, the key would be to unload the hardware to reach critical mass. Same thing Nintendo did with NES console (sold at a loss) and what HP does with printers by making huge profit off of ink replacements.
    IcantCanything likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    HP can't afford to sell it at a loss --- when the whole wall street wants them to become an IBM clone. It will only intensify the call for HP to dump the whole PC business.
    HP can certainly sell it at a loss if they want.
    Bill Gates sold the xbox at a loss... expected to for years... look at it now.

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    HP can't afford to sell it at a loss --- when the whole wall street wants them to become an IBM clone. It will only intensify the call for HP to dump the whole PC business.
    sorli likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Bill Gates also is the largest shareholder of Microsoft.

It wasn't Leo's idea to buy Palm, it was Mark Hurd's idea. HP picked Leo specifically because he came from the software consulting world (SAP).

HP buying Compaq was a huge mistake. HP's failed boardroom coup 10 years ago by Hewlett's family members was actually right.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post

HP buying Compaq was a huge mistake. HP's failed boardroom coup 10 years ago by Hewlett's family members was actually right.
    One of Fiorina's many blunders. Another one was killing off the one project that had true potential to have offset the iPod crazy at the personal request of Steve Jobs.

Hurd might not have been a very nice person but he did manage to fix HP after Fiorina almost killed it with the Compaq merger management.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 08/05/2011 at 01:14 PM.
    16GB touchpad @ #2 now, 32GB @ #7
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Since Amazon has started selling the Touchpad for $399 and 499, both 16 gb and 32 gb have moved into the top 10 selling tablets on Amazon (right now #5 and #7 respectively)
    Up until yesterday, the tablets had been at #18 and #40 (32 gb and 16 gb)
    So, now we know what it takes to move the Touchpad: make it cheaper. This is good for us and good for HP. Let's hope it continues.
    hi. Can you please paste the link showing the ranking? Thanks.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    hi. Can you please paste the link showing the ranking? Thanks.
    Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Computer Tablets
    I thought reducing the price was a bad thing. These forums confuse me.
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Thanks for that, looks like the Touchpad will have a ways to go before it beats the Transformer.
    The transformer is a pretty nice tablet. If I'd had the funds available before the TouchPad release, I'd probably have one of those now instead of the TouchPad.
    This is great news. I hope they keep up the discounted price. That will def help them move the TouchPad in bulk.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast