Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    it's a bad thing if they didnt do it yet.

if you post about saying you think it'd be a good idea if touchpads were $100 less or that hp drop it $100 less, you get knighted pretty quick .

once it happens and they are $100... or $200 cheaper.... if you are a knight fighting for the king. well, you gotta support the king eh

Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I thought reducing the price was a bad thing. These forums confuse me.
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Staples has a sale that many are raving about at engadget. $299/$399. Not sure how long it will last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Thanks for that, looks like the Touchpad will have a ways to go before it beats the Transformer.
    Actually for only being out for over a month, it's already nipping at the transformers heels. If it wasn't selling or picking up momentum, it wouldn't even be in the top ten.
    I do want to explain that the reason video game systems are sold at a loss or for no profit is there is a HUGE margin in accessories and software. The profits from apps are not as big, and most folks aren't gonna buy 3 bluetooth keyboards.

I do want WebOS in more hands, and I like the business model of MSRP and limited sales. You get devices in hands, and don't devalue the product. It's like anything else, make people think they are getting a *DEAL*.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Since Amazon has started selling the Touchpad for $399 and 499, both 16 gb and 32 gb have moved into the top 10 selling tablets on Amazon (right now #5 and #7 respectively)
    Up until yesterday, the tablets had been at #18 and #40 (32 gb and 16 gb)
    So, now we know what it takes to move the Touchpad: make it cheaper. This is good for us and good for HP. Let's hope it continues.
    wow #2 and #7 right now!
    Editorial: Why HP must match the iPad on price, not undercut
    So when the potential buyer is presented with two seemingly equally-matched tablets, one priced $50 or $100 lower than the established competitor, they’re going to ask the question of “Why?” The average consumer doesn’t think in terms of marketing, so the question of what does this price mean inevitably results in the conclusion that it’s somehow an inferior product. It’s like that surprisingly cheap car or too-good-to-be-true house, for all they know there’s flood damage and termites. In the case of a tablet, less expensive at the same size equates to cheaper.
    The "surprising cheap car" would be Hyundai...Hyundai First in Customer Loyalty.

The 16GB TouchPad has gone from 18th to 2nd place in the 16 hours since the $100 price drop at Amazon.

With the HP TouchPad now $200 off at Staples -- it's like Christmas in August, we will have to watch the precentral blog to see what they say...
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/05/2011 at 04:16 PM.
  7.    #27  
    And in this case, the fact that it's fatter might be a good thing. They might look at the build and think the cost difference makes sense based on the build, decide it's something they can live with, and purchase it. Just a thought.
    I didn't even know there were more then 10 tablets to choose from let alone 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    Staples has a sale that many are raving about at engadget. $299/$399. Not sure how long it will last.
    From the Engadget article:

HP TouchPad now $200 off at Staples -- it's like Christmas in August

Here is the coupon: http://www.fatwallet.com/static/atta...ples_98980.jpg

Here is a receipt showing that Staples will apply this coupon even after the $100 price reduction:

If Staples is sold out, ask them to deliver to the store for you. That worked with the $100 Android tablet coupon last week.

Also, some local Office Depots and Best Buys were matching the Staples $100 Android tablet coupon last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/05/2011 at 04:28 PM.
    I went into Staples today during lunch just to see if they had the touchpad and right when I walked in I heard the manager telling a sales guy that they are accepting the $100 off coupon along with the reduced price.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I do want to explain that the reason video game systems are sold at a loss or for no profit is there is a HUGE margin in accessories and software. The profits from apps are not as big, and most folks aren't gonna buy 3 bluetooth keyboards.

I do want WebOS in more hands, and I like the business model of MSRP and limited sales. You get devices in hands, and don't devalue the product. It's like anything else, make people think they are getting a *DEAL*.
    How much margin do you think is in the TP case and Touchstone? HP has to get to volume, so sacrificing margin is okay for the 1st gen tablet. They're starting to do saturation advertising on TV.

They also need to make market space for the 4G models. With webOS 3.0.2 now generally available, I expect these to be available this month.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    And when the new ones come out, SOME of the people who got a Touchpad for $300 will complain about getting ripped off just like SOME of the first adapters are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    And when the new ones come out, SOME of the people who got a Touchpad for $300 will complain about getting ripped off just like SOME of the first adapters are now.
    we should probably stay away from the business of predicting the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    we should probably stay away from the business of predicting the future.
    That is not the future, it's human nature and it's happening now when people don't want to buy because 'something better might come along'. Betting on human nature is the only safe bet one can make.

If I'm wrong you have my permission to embarrass me in public on this forum (moderators take note)... but I won't be. :-)

P.S. @Clevin - HP give $50 dollars in apps to early adapters - read the comments of SOME (not all, but a significant some -
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-give-to...opters-50-apps
    kind of makes the point - some folks can never be made happy.)
    Last edited by C-Note; 08/06/2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: addendum to original premise
    geewhiz likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Editorial: Why HP must match the iPad on price, not undercut
    So when the potential buyer is presented with two seemingly equally-matched tablets, one priced $50 or $100 lower than the established competitor, they’re going to ask the question of “Why?” The average consumer doesn’t think in terms of marketing, so the question of what does this price mean inevitably results in the conclusion that it’s somehow an inferior product. It’s like that surprisingly cheap car or too-good-to-be-true house, for all they know there’s flood damage and termites. In the case of a tablet, less expensive at the same size equates to cheaper.
    The "surprising cheap car" would be Hyundai...Hyundai First in Customer Loyalty.

The 16GB TouchPad has gone from 18th to 2nd place in the 16 hours since the $100 price drop at Amazon.

With the HP TouchPad now $200 off at Staples -- it's like Christmas in August, we will have to watch the precentral blog to see what they say...
    That editorial is the most wishful thinking article I ever seen, purely written in defense of HP's pricing.

The community needs some reality check, webOS needs it, and as fans, we should provide it, we can't just all sit together and happy dancing over a cliff.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Yea, for that reason alone I'm hoping HP breaks from their normal rotating sales practice with the TouchPad 4G and leaves it matched to the iPad 3G with no sales and only carrier subsidies effecting the price.

Actually thinking about it, that could be another reason for staggering the releases. Allowing time for the WiFi promos to run through before resetting the price to normal and releasing the 4G version.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    How much margin do you think is in the TP case and Touchstone? HP has to get to volume, so sacrificing margin is okay for the 1st gen tablet. They're starting to do saturation advertising on TV.

They also need to make market space for the 4G models. With webOS 3.0.2 now generally available, I expect these to be available this month.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    did you read my post, there is margin in the things you mention, but please read that I said people won't buy 3 touchstones (some will buy none) unlike additional controllers. I also never complained about (actually said I am all for) webOS in more hands. Just saying you can't compare the business models, the video game business model has been the same for at least 30ish years now.

BTW this comes from someone that worked in the industry.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Mentioned it elsewhere: the 32GB is now in the number 5 position with the 16GB still in number 2. Units are moving.
    sledge007 likes this.
    This deal worked for me. Im typing this from my new Touchpad, something i was not really planning to buy. And I think I'm not the only one. All Boston area Staples were sold out by 8:30 this morning.

and I have to say, I'm very impressed by this product!
    Wow! TP 16GB is #2 and TP 32GB is #5 on Amazon.com right now! Thats a pretty nice way by HP to boost sales..!
    Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Computer Tablets
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast