Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that even if you have a high resolution image, the photo app will show what seems to be a low res version of it?

When I first find the image (maps in this case) in the browser I can zoom in to lots of detail. When I save it to photos and view it in photos it's grainy and low res.

Is there a different picture viewing app for offline viewing I can use or is there a patch that makes the photo app viewing actually work?
    disoriented likes this.
    It maybe a problem of the browser.
  3.    #3  
    Are you saying that maybe the browser is saving a lower res version?
    I guess that's possible. I'll see if I can email myself a picture and view it on my desktop.
    Yes, to test, you can download image from desktop, email to yourself, save it from email app on touchpad and see if picture app display it properly.

Or transfer to touchpad via usb mode. Just go around browser in some way.
  5.    #5  
    So I just emailed the image from the photo app and opened it on my desktop. It's the high res version.

So this means the photo app just doesn't like high res images.
    This was an issue on the Pre- also (don't know about Pre2 or Veer). Regardless of the resolution of the photo, zooming in with the photo app always resulted in grainy image. Are there any 3rd party photo viewing apps yet?
    When you say "low res", what exactly do you mean?

I remember that, on my pre, webOS 1.4.5 display exact same image blur-er than webos 2.x. Is that what you are referring to?
    Isn't the Touchpad camera sensor only 640X480?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Isn't the Touchpad camera sensor only 640X480?
    Yes, but you get this when zooming in on photos from sources other than the FFC, regardless of their resolution. If you don't ever zoom in on photos its not a big issue.
    Is it something that you can post or link to so that we can try it out as well?

My app Slide RSS does photo display for slideshow purposes, but I also have a photo mode that lets you zoom in on a photo so I'm wondering if my app will do any better than the stock Photos app.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Just got a touchpad cheap. A good part of the reason was to have a nice portable screen for viewing my pictures on. I noticed this issue right away... What a bummer.

Is there an alternative app for photo viewing?
    Last edited by boomjosh; 08/25/2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Camera on the TouchPad is only 1.3MP... How can you expect it take take a high resolution/quality picture..!!??
    try removing and re-adding the Synergy account. I noticed this with my facebook images. I think it happens when the initial sync doesn't work properly. When I added the facebook account again, they showed up properly when viewing full size.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    First of all, the max size the photo app can display is lower than the 1.3mp camera on this thing. Secondly, people do put pictures they took elsewhere for viewing on their tablets as well....
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    try removing and re-adding the Synergy account. I noticed this with my facebook images. I think it happens when the initial sync doesn't work properly. When I added the facebook account again, they showed up properly when viewing full size.
    Probably a separate issue. If I plug in the touchpad, I can even see that it's generated 1024px on the long end for horizontal shot, and 768 on the long end for vertical shots in the photo app folder...

I put high res images from my computer on the thing.
    Yeah, I just got my TouchPad today, and this was one of the first things I noticed. If anyone wants to test it, here is a large map (1.7 MB). If you try and copy it to your TouchPad via USB, then open it via the default Photo app, it's really low-res and crappy-looking.

I'll try SlideRSS and see how it works out.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreNewbieSV View Post
    Camera on the TouchPad is only 1.3MP... How can you expect it take take a high resolution/quality picture..!!??
    I think that everyone is talking about other photos, either posted on sites such as Facebook or ones that they've transferred onto the Toughpad via USB, not photos taken by the on-board Touchpad camera.
  18. SNP
    Hello, any news regarding this issue? I bought the touchpad to use it primarily as a photo viewer but the low res photos are killing me.

I found that the generated images are in .photosApp/Generated and are a maximum of 768x768 resolution (if square, else 768 pixels is on the long side).

I also could not find any other picture/image viewer :/
    Here is the solution :

step 1.

Edit the following file, using Internalz :
    /usr/palm/services/com.palm.service.photos/photos-src/tasks/BigImageProcessTask.jsjsjs

at the begining of the file, you'll see 2 var named ScreenNail_WIDTH and ScreenNail_HEIGHT : change them to whatever resolution you want

Save, close, reload Luna

Step 2.
    Remove all the screenNail pictures in your /media/internal/.photosApp/Generated
    Don't remove the thumbnails files.
    If you do, you'll have to go through all your albums to force a regenerate of every thumbnails. Album thumbnails will show OK after you regenerate every thumbnail in the album itself.

hope that helped
    jdcowboy and JLegacy like this.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmoneloze View Post
    Here is the solution :

step 1.

Edit the following file, using Internalz :
    /usr/palm/services/com.palm.service.photos/photos-src/tasks/BigImageProcessTask.jsjsjs

at the begining of the file, you'll see 2 var named ScreenNail_WIDTH and ScreenNail_HEIGHT : change them to whatever resolution you want

Save, close, reload Luna

Step 2.
    Remove all the screenNail pictures in your /media/internal/.photosApp/Generated
    Don't remove the thumbnails files.
    If you do, you'll have to go through all your albums to force a regenerate of every thumbnails. Album thumbnails will show OK after you regenerate every thumbnail in the album itself.

hope that helped
    After removing all the screeNail pictures and relaunching the photo app, I can see the thubmnails, but when I tap on a picture (from a facebook album), the screen is simply black.

As if the app did not try to re-download pics from facebook. What do I do now?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast