1.    #1  

8.4 GB used, 4.4 gb free. I'm so confused. Where's my 16 gb? Shows up this way when plugged into the computer too.
    os has to live on there also. This is how all mobile devices are setup. Well, android an ios at least.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    os has to live on there also. This is how all mobile devices are setup. Well, android an ios at least.
    But 3.5 gigs worth? This isn't Windows 7 we're talking about
    also, remember that hard drives are never the exact amount. i have a 250 gig hard drive and its has roughly 230 some gigs. i never liked the way they did it but thats just how it is.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1347640
    Its a mixture of both answers. 1GB =/= 1Gb (note the capitalization). Also, the OS takes up room on the drive.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Drives are measured if fake giga/mega bytes to make them sound bigger. 16 "gb" drive = 16 billion bytes, not truly 16 gigabytes (16x1024^3 = 17,179,869,184 bytes)
    There is a difference between a byte and a bit and yes its a horrible practice but everyone does it.

And then whatever space your Apps take up and ofc the OS itself which is most likely around 1gb in size.