Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Davey123
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Hi. I recently went to a convention for my company and HP reps presented everyday of the convention, mainly on the Touchpad, but also on other HP products.

The rep mentioned something that I am curious about. He was asked about doc editing on the touchpad and he mentioned that people can use Office 365 on the touchpad, which would allow for editing word, excel, and powerpoint documents. Since I know that so many of you are quite informed about the touchpad, I am just checking to see if this information is correct. Thanks in advance.
    Office 365 is Microsoft's cloud solution, right? Like your regular Office, but not locally installed and instead run in your browser?

If it's what I believe it is, there's no reason why it wouldn't work on the TouchPad (and I'm not sure why there hasn't been more talk about it... but if you're here for long enough you'll notice a propensity of this forum to incessantly talk about the things webOS doesn't do well and to ignore and not even mention the things it DOES do, so it's easy to miss something like Office365 working on the TouchPad in a slew of angry posts all demanding to know why Quickoffice can't edit docs yet. Sorry for the rant.)

In addition, Quickoffice is about to release an update to their app that will finally enable doc editing, so there will be a local editing option as well soon.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Hi Davey,

That's not 100% accurate. This was one of the first things I tried on the touchpad, but it didn't work 100%. I could not input text to a word doc, but I could in a power point. I found a bunch of little similar problems. Seems we need a silverlight plugin for it all to function properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Office 365 is Microsoft's cloud solution, right? Like your regular Office, but not locally installed and instead run in your browser?

If it's what I believe it is, there's no reason why it wouldn't work on the TouchPad (and I'm not sure why there hasn't been more talk about it... but if you're here for long enough you'll notice a propensity of this forum to incessantly talk about the things webOS doesn't do well and to ignore and not even mention the things it DOES do, so it's easy to miss something like Office365 working on the TouchPad in a slew of angry posts all demanding to know why Quickoffice can't edit docs yet. Sorry for the rant.)

In addition, Quickoffice is about to release an update to their app that will finally enable doc editing, so there will be a local editing option as well soon.
    office 365 is a paid service, charging >$6/mo, How can you even sit here making comparison of this to a supposedly free office suite?

So people supposed to spend extra, maybe hundreds per year, and thats your solution?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Davey here is the thread I made when I first got my touchpad. There's a screenshot of powerpoint running in my browser...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hpad-sort.html
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    Davey here is the thread I made when I first got my touchpad. There's a screenshot of powerpoint running in my browser...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hpad-sort.html
    Thanks for the response. I am actually still at this convention. So, I will try to ask the HP rep about this, if I get a chance. He did not seem to mention any problems with using Office 365. He did, however, mention that many people did not know that they could edit documents on the touchpad using Office 365.

If I get a chance, I will ask him about editing word documents, and if silverlight plugin is needed for Office 365 to properly work.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Cool let us know what he says. Specifically, I couldn't even get the keyboard to appear when I tried to edit a word doc.
    Currently Office 365 is only supported on the regular browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome) so I am sure it *can* work on other browsers but some wonkiness will be expected just like if you were using any other unsupported browser.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    My profession has nothing to do with electronics. So, it is quite interesting that HP targeted this particular national convention. Of course, it is a welcome change (and surprise) to see electronics here, because it breaks the monotony of typical convention events. The HP reps have scheduled presentations for all days of the convention. And, they have had very captive audiences. They seem to be really pushing the idea of synergy and showcasing the various features of the touchpad. They also are offering discounts on HP products for those convention attendees who attend their presentations. Not to mention the fact that they have several HP products that attendees can play around with.

So, since the reps will giving more presentations on ways the touchpad is relevant for my profession, I "may" get the opportunity to inquire about word editing and silverlight plugin.
    Titan078 and hparsons like this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Show them these threads, we're interested!
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    I was able to speak to the HR rep about word doc editing not working with Office 365. I also inquired about the need for sivlerlight plugin. He at first mentioned that silverlight plugin was not needed because it was just an enhancement. But, I told him that some were reporting that they could not edit word documents using Office 365, and that silverlight plugin is needed. He said that he mainly has used Office 365 on the touchpad to create and edit powerpoint documents. So, he said that he was not aware of word documents not working. He also mentioned Citrix as an option. But, I told him that some had reported problems with Citrix as well. He seemed surprised by that, but he did say that a QuickOffice update will rectify the doc editing situation.

On another note, the HP reps were also demonstrating a Slate 500. Given that the Slate runs Windows 7 and has the fullest doc editing, I inquired if HP planned to put webos on it. Afterall, both reps mentioned that HP planned to put webos on all computers. However, both said that they had not heard anything about the Slate having webos on it, and did not anticipate that happening within the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    office 365 is a paid service, charging >$6/mo, How can you even sit here making comparison of this to a supposedly free office suite?

So people supposed to spend extra, maybe hundreds per year, and thats your solution?
    I don't think I saw where he comparted it to "a supposedly free office suite". He compared it to "regular Office", I'm positive meaning Microsoft Office (since that's what it compares to), and only casually mentioned Quick Office, and it's upcoming update. He also didn't offer it as a "solution" - the OP didn't ask for a solution, only if it worked.

<mod edit>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 08/06/2011 at 08:43 PM.