Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I brought my new TP to work and my boss was excited to compare it to his Ipad2. He was impressed with the email and messaging, the multi tasking. then he asked me what i thought the downside was vs the ipad and I said weight and # of apps available. So he picked up the ipad (he has a similar full body case like the TP) and the TP and he couldn't really see a difference in weight. So I took his ipad and my tp and gave it to 3 other co-workers. They could feel a slight difference but they said anybody who thinks its a big deal is crazy.

Granted its not a scientific study and I could have gone to great lengths to pull my TP out of the case and his ipad out as well but the fact that 4 people at work couldn't see a noticeable difference pleased me. Also I am on the train every morning and all the ipad2 people i see, i would say 1/2 have full cases of some sort, not just the magnetic flap cover.

Btw so far the TP is just awesome. I tether it to my Pre- and it just loads pages pretty damn quick while I am listening to radio streams in the background. Its replacing my paper WSJ.
    I'm noticing that one arm is getting bigger....might have to switch it up for a few days....

On a similar show & tell story....

I walked into a Staples yesterday looking for a car power-point inverter ( Canadian Tire to the rescue ) and some sort of matte glare shield, only one there and not advertised as glare-reducing, so passed it up.

I'm talking to a manager, Pre's in the pocket TouchPad in hand, and he starts asking me how I like it as he's eligible for 35% off any tablet and considering one. So I flip it open and first thing I open is Govnah and point out the 1.728GHz CPU, his eyes widen. I told him I had to do a few things, but these weren't like jailbreaking an iP~.

Flip open a couple of other apps, show him Advanced Browser, and tell him this is paid not stock, but worth the couple of bucks....open up 4 or 5 tabs as quick as I can, when I'm done the 5th, I start going back to the first, then 2 and so on.

He asks how I like wifi only. I tell him it's no issue. I have a phone, it's tethered, it's "free" in that Bell Mobility's data is what it is.... I punch up my Pre just to see what data I've actually used since I got my TouchPad....I think it was a total of 37MB out of 1GB....lots of room.

Next I start up KalemSoft Media Player, and tell him that the Family Guy that we're watching is actually on my home PC, not stored on the TP, which is getting passed through my router, to my phone, to my TouchPad and it's nice and clear and no lag.

I would guess that the other tablets do such things... I would think being a manager at Staples, he's had more than ample time to mess around with different tablets and possibly had some sort of training etc. In the 10 minutes or so I spent talking to him, he seemed rather impressed with the whole thing and had a smile on his face.

Kind of makes you feel like you made a good decision.....really I don't need the extra "moral support"....I already like it for myself and don't need reassurance, but still
    Last edited by sledge007; 08/04/2011 at 07:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm noticing that one arm is getting bigger....might have to switch it up for a few days....
    Or, get a second TP for balance!

Thanks OP for the life experiences...we can talk and talk all day long about what a few ounces can mean, or we can experience it in real life. I'm voting for the real life experiences, particularly when it's really my life I'm experiencing. Now, does anyone want to donate a TP to enrich my life exeriences? Anyone?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

My general response is that if weight and 'thickness' are primary issues then you're buying a fashion accessory not a computing device ;-)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stiekes View Post
    My general response is that if weight and 'thickness' are primary issues then you're buying a fashion accessory not a computing device ;-)
    Or! You do a ton of international travel with just a briefcase and one carry-on bag.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Tablet is a computing device? Lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Or! You do a ton of international travel with just a briefcase and one carry-on bag.
    They usually have work-out gyms in those international hotels .....don't they?

"Excuse me Mr. Trainer.....do you know where the 5 ounce dumbbells are?"
    nyquistjack likes this.
    Let them hold it for some time to assess, just picking up isn't nearly enough to mimic real life usage

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    They usually have work-out gyms in those international hotels .....don't they?

"Excuse me Mr. Trainer.....do you know where the 5 ounce dumbbells are?"
    I think he means from the perspective of the added thickness not fitting properly in the briefcase. I think the size is negligible to influence that, but I mean if you have a snug briefcase already adding in an extra few mm's of thickness might not let it close.
    which is why it's a joke though are you actually claiming that the added 1/3 of a pound and .2 of an inch means the TP won't fit in the same place in your briefcase was an iPad would?

the weight difference is a legit issue, but the fact that it was focused on in a lot of the reviews as a major failing struck me as rather ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Tablet is a computing device? Lol

lol...dude, your phone is a computing device now...
    lol...dude, your phone is a computing device now...
    my phone? computing device? you mean calculator? sure. I have browser too, email is too slow to be very useful, calendar is decent. Right, I still have THE pre.

Anyway, you theory put computing device against fashionable device, why are they mutually exclusive? Isn't iPad 2 a computing device and a fashion device? For that matter, look at XOOM, gTab 10.1, Playbook, they all do both.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Actually it's not the weight or thickness that bother me about my TP vs. my iPad2. I do way too much international travel and go carry-on only. Depending upon where I'm heading I have a briefcase or a backback and it's jam packed with a laptop, tablet, e-reader (I can't read on an LCD as I have weary, old eyes), noise-cancelling headphones and more.

Yes, the iPad 2 is a bit thinner, but, far more importantly, I don't feel like I will crack it's case with everything wedged in. That was my only concern on my first trip to Asia with my TP. Would love to see the TP2 go with an aluminum body.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    That's what she said
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    my phone? computing device? you mean calculator? sure. I have browser too, email is too slow to be very useful, calendar is decent. Right, I still have THE pre.

Anyway, you theory put computing device against fashionable device, why are they mutually exclusive? Isn't iPad 2 a computing device and a fashion device? For that matter, look at XOOM, gTab 10.1, Playbook, they all do both.
    No, I mean computing device. I mean the devices which are rapidly becoming the most advanced and ubiquitous sensing platforms which have the processing power, memory, and development platforms to make them legitimate application platforms.

And I'm not claiming design isn't critical (I absolutely love Apple's design and I'd echo the desire for an aluminum shell). I'm just saying if the fact that the thing is .2 of an inch thicker than the iPad is the reason you're bagging on the TP then you didn't by a Tablet Computer (woot, let's coin a new acronym for the industry TC vs. PC) you bought a fashion accessory.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Actually it's not the weight or thickness that bother me about my TP vs. my iPad2. I do way too much international travel and go carry-on only. Depending upon where I'm heading I have a briefcase or a backback and it's jam packed with a laptop, tablet, e-reader (I can't read on an LCD as I have weary, old eyes), noise-cancelling headphones and more.

Yes, the iPad 2 is a bit thinner, but, far more importantly, I don't feel like I will crack it's case with everything wedged in. That was my only concern on my first trip to Asia with my TP. Would love to see the TP2 go with an aluminum body.
    Aluminum being somehow more durable than plastic is inaccurate in my mind.

The problem with aluminum versus plastic is that plastic has more plasticity than aluminum. It will flex and take some abuse. Aluminum just dents. It can dent so badly that it comes in contact with internal components. Meanwhile an impact that will dent aluminum will not even phase plastic, and those severe dings that cause the aluminum to touch internal components might crack a plastic case, but not affect any of the internal components since all the energy will be absorbed by the plastic.

My own iPad has more than one dent in it thanks to my children while our kindle and plastic cased laptops only have a scuffed corner or two.

Regardless, a good case will cover any cracks or dents in the housing; the great equalizer.
    etx likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    You might want to look up the word "plasticity" because you clearly meant elasticity
    When you're talking isostatic compression, as you would have in a briefcase, I'll take aluminum every day. BTW, I'm a materials scientist.
    You might want to look up the word "plasticity" because you clearly meant elasticity
    When you're talking isostatic compression, as you would have in a briefcase, I'll take aluminum every day. BTW, I'm a materials scientist.
    hahaha....I had a feeling I didn't want to argue with you on the case materials issue...it helped that I agreed with you...lol
    wencyjr likes this.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Although this is a bit off the main topic, but does address the past few posts....

Who cares what it's made out of if you're just gonna cover it with a case anyway? and if it was not going to be in a case, I'd rather have the back be made from the same material that the Pre Touchstone back is made from.
    I walked into a Staples yesterday looking for a car power-point inverter.
    Epic fail for HP! Why didn't they include some way to watch upside-down PowerPoints while driving on the TouchPad? This is worse than the lack of a back camera!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast