Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    People, chill down. HP ALWAYS has discounts for everything, from its latest Envys' to calculators. Name of the game OGs'
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    hp also gives you an xbox 360 with a new laptop. Guess xbox360 isn't selling well? Na
    thats a window7/Microsoft thing, thats not exclusively HP

Free Xbox 360 4GB with Windows 7 PCs Now Through More Retailers - Softpedia
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    Xbox 360 was launched in 2005

TP....33 days ago.

Big difference.
    Its also worth noting that those are also not really analogous situations. In one you have HP temporarily cutting the price on it's own product. In the other you have HP bundling someone else's product with their own.

They would only be comparable if Microsoft was cutting the price on their own product like HP is cutting the price on their product, albeit temporarily.

That said, i have no opinion as to whether a temporary price cut is evidence of bad or good sales and only HP insiders and analysts with access to their opinions are likely to know the motivation behind it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I think I'll chime in on this, since I have no knowledge of business, sales figures, or promotions.

All I have is my opinions, which I gather from reading other people's posts, and I take theirs to be the gospel truth (as long as they agree with my pre-conceived biases). It doesn't matter what the facts are, I will post my thoughts as dogma and viciously insult anyone who disagrees with me. And when new facts come up, I will continue to second-guess HP and insist that I am smarter than them.

Oh, wait a minute - I see that I'm already too late to the party. Many others have already taken that role from me.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Courousant, hparsons and Rnp like this.
    Something having it's price lowered is generally a bad sign. A bundle deal however is generally not.

If you lower a price of a product shortly after its released, you either:

A) Overestimated the value of your product relative to the competition.

B) Overestimated demand for your product.

C) Decided you could get more sales at that price level to make more of a net profit than keeping the previous price.

D) Some combination of A, B, and C.

My opinion is that HP committed 'A' and is responding with 'C'. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing for webOS overall, $399 should be the price of a webOS tablet. HP is a value brand in the eyes of most consumers. Tablets are typically a consumer product. Sure HP makes amazing machinery (Indigo Presses, servers, etc), but the simple fact is that a consumer things of cheap laptops/printers at Best Buy when the see the name HP.

$399 for a 16GB tablets plus some discounts on top from people like Amazon is enough space between the ipad to sway someone to give it a try. More importantly, as webOS 3 improves through updates the in store impressions will get better. Hopefully the Opal tablet is a bit sleeker than the Touchpad and gives a better physical first impression and comes in at an even lower price point. I think many companies would have a hard time fighting a $300 dollar webOS tablet.

In any event, HP needs to lose money to sell these things if that's what it takes, because critical mass is needed to get the ball rolling on third party development. Hopefully if HP can get the tablet count near a few million all of them running webOS 3, they can make a strong pitch to indie developers and big name dev's alike.
    Yeah remember when iPhones dropped $100+ a month after they launched? I guess they were selling too poorly.....

Guys, this is HP. They price it high and then use advertising and marketing to shoot out discounts for months (usually bringing the product closer to it's "real price"). This is all marketing technique.

It wouldn't matter how well or bad the TP sold, they would be doing these discounts anyway. They've been in the pipe since launch and part of the plan. Companies the size of HP have marketing departments that plan out every minute of the first few months of launch for a product.

I'm really getting sick of some of the posters here. Price drops and "oh crap, it's a fire sale!" But keep the price high and it's constant thread after thread of "it's too expensive and that's why it will fail".

It would have been STOOOPID for HP to launch the TouchPad at cost or below. It's SMARTER to leave wiggle room for tons of discounts so that you keep appearing on deal sites and it makes people feel time pressure to jump on it.
    RoverNole, falconrap and Rnp like this.
    Do you think HP would go UNDER 400 with the Student Discount?
    Hey those who bought it with the $50 "making things right" coupon, all I can say is...

Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yeah remember when iPhones dropped $100+ a month after they launched? I guess they were selling too poorly.....
    They did sell poorly.

The original $600 iphone that is simlocked with a 2 year contract was a complete dud. There was no overseas carrier willing to even bite on that deal. Even with the iphone dropped $200 to $400 --- Apple could only sign 3 overseas carriers.

The iphone era didn't start until Apple completely gave up on that massive failure of a business model.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    They did sell poorly.

The original $600 iphone that is simlocked with a 2 year contract was a complete dud. There was no overseas carrier willing to even bite on that deal. Even with the iphone dropped $200 to $400 --- Apple could only sign 3 overseas carriers.

The iphone era didn't start until Apple completely gave up on that massive failure of a business model.
    those of us in the US will remember news stories about insane lines around the blocks for those original devices. It was selling out, then still price dropped.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    Xbox 360 was launched in 2005

TP....33 days ago.

Big difference.
    new xbox 360 was last year
    point is find something that hp doesn't discount or have a coupon for. This price was going to happen no matter what.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    those of us in the US will remember news stories about insane lines around the blocks for those original devices. It was selling out, then still price dropped.
    It just mean that there were a couple of million diehard Apple fans. It has nothing to do with whether it sells well or not.

It was probably the same million diehard Apple fans that also bought the Apple TV. It ain't going to expand beyond that with Apple continued to sell a $600 simlocked iphone with a 2 year contract.
    Last edited by samab; 08/04/2011 at 12:28 AM.
    plus there is a 1.5ghz touchpad coming
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    You people are impossible. HP is damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point. This is called using scale to reach volume. Guess what? Soon you'll see "Buy an HP Envy and get a TouchPad for $200" or some such other deal.
    I'm sorry, if you read my post, I wondered the same thing...not selling well OR expanding the ecosystem. I wasn't trying to be impossible, I was wondering about the circumstances.
    It's amazing to me that people don't recall the discussions on here that HP was going to start with the price high and then start having various sales. This "price drop" isn't even a price drop. It's a temporary sale. Call me when the price actually does drop (i.e. no sales or coupons, but a lowering of the MSRP). HP does this with EVERY product they own. Back-to-school=SALE PRICES! Nothing more...nothing less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    People, chill down. HP ALWAYS has discounts for everything, from its latest Envys' to calculators. Name of the game OGs'
    If HP gonna to discount it for $100 anyway, why not do it from start when it has all the spot light? Now its a product out of a bunch others, and only those who actively looking for it will notice the discount.

What a wasted opportunity. Touchpad is not Envy or calculator, this market is not as forgiving for a new kid.

The marketing is ridiculous, as if HP is marketing this thing exactly how they marketing their laptops or printers.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That is incorrect. The original iPhone did not start off strong. I strolled into AT&T a full week after launch, and nobody was buying one. The sales staff didnt understand why I wanted one, and there was full inventory. I asked how they were selling, and the staff told me they werent moving. I remember being concerned that the format would never go anywhere, but I bought one anyway.

They took a while to get moving. The lines you remember were related to the iPhone 3G. The 2.5G original model had to warm up a long time before becoming what everyone wanted.
    I cant believe people are complaining about. I knew the only reason HP launched at 499 and 599 is so that they could have some leverage when advertising their sales. We knew this would happen. This round of the device cycle is all about getting webOS into as many hands as possible. There will continue to be bundles and promotions well into the xmas shopping season as HP continues to leverage their supply chain and partners.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them practically giving these things away come December. They know installed base is the most important factor when courting developers. So they will continue to be aggressive.
    Beanis likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast