Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I remember a discussion occuring a while back, before the TP was released, where i debated the need for a rear-facing camera. Many felt that they shouldn't have to pay for hardware that they wouldn't use.

So let me introduce to you the newest marketing trick for all of the 'in' companies. QR codes. Not only does webOS not have a good QR code reader app in general (-1), but the TP doesn't have a rear-facing camera, or apparently a camera app at all for which to even use a QR code reader. (-1)

Thank you HPalm. Your lack of foresight has left webOS users marginalized.
    Tikkanen likes this.
    Phone + TTS.

Now all we need is a QR reader app.
    LOL at "in" companies

and LOL at QR codes leaving a device "marginalized"
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL at "in" companies

+1
    I have a couple of QR code apps on my Pre2 which work OK
    I still can't believe that a tablet aimed at the enterprise market would leave out a rear facing camera? They better put one on the TP2!

We have several departments at work that would have purchased TP's if they had the camera, but now they are passing until HP puts out another device, or Dell (yuck) comes out with a decent tablet. This is where HP can succeed, due to the fact that people like myself that work in Government must purchase from our contracted vendors. There's actually enough time for HP to get the next TP right, and I'm hoping they will do so. I will have my own TP sometime next month, and I plan on showing it off every chance I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by schizzle1352 View Post
    So let me introduce to you the newest marketing trick for all of the 'in' companies. QR codes.
    Say what? Where were you a year ago? QR codes are already passť.
    Last edited by sq5; 08/03/2011 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL at "in" companies

+2

While I'd still like to have seen a rear camera on the TP, I'd definitely not say that scanning gimmicky QR codes, with a 10" large tablet no less, would be a driving reason.

If there's any blame to be placed on HP/Palm in this realm, it should be about not releasing a better camera API for developers to make more robust camera apps.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Yeah, I have the "QR deCODEr" app on my Pre and it works fine. The main problem I have is related to the Pre's horrible fixed-focus camera. I often cannot get close enough to snap a good pic to decode.

I personally prefer to have this functionality on a smaller device, such as a phone, because I don't come across many QR codes while I'm home. It's always out while I'm doing stuff without a tablet. It's much easier for me to use a phone for this instead of a tablet (which only has wifi).

PS - I am not defending the lack of a rear-facing camera.
    ahjah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigferret View Post
    I still can't believe that a tablet aimed at the enterprise market would leave out a rear facing camera?
    They didn't leave the camera out of the HP Slate.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigferret View Post
    I still can't believe that a tablet aimed at the enterprise market would leave out a rear facing camera? They better put one on the TP2!

We have several departments at work that would have purchased TP's if they had the camera, but now they are passing until HP puts out another device, or Dell (yuck) comes out with a decent tablet. This is where HP can succeed, due to the fact that people like myself that work in Government must purchase from our contracted vendors. There's actually enough time for HP to get the next TP right, and I'm hoping they will do so. I will have my own TP sometime next month, and I plan on showing it off every chance I get.
    Since you mention Government..I know many government agencies that actually would prefer a device without cameras.

Fact of the matter is you can't say that it isn't enterprise ready because it lacks a camera. Your enterprise need might not fit every other Fortune 500 company, or Military / Government agency.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    OrionAntares#CB likes this.
    That's a good point.

We definitely need a camera for our tablet needs, and I realize having a phone could easily take up the slack, except we are on Sprint lol

I am creating a mobile GIS app that will be based on AIR, and you can tell I'm a WebOS nut, because without the rear camera, my guys will be required to use another device to geotag their photos
    Quote Originally Posted by schizzle1352 View Post
    Thank you HPalm. Your lack of foresight has left webOS users marginalized.
    Do you actually own a TouchPad, or are you simply presuming to speak for TouchPad owners?

Note I own a TouchPad, and so does my wife. Neither of us feel "marginalized". JustSayin...
  14.    #14  
    no, and nor will I. And as I am on Sprint and on the original Pre, I will be leaving WebOS behind in about another month.

while I understand that it's not necessarily the best example of what they got wrong, it is one more thing. And I DO consider myself to be more of the typical consumer than most of us on the forums (in that I have no allegiance to the OS). If such an ommision turns me off of a device that is "suppossed" to compete with the iPad or Galaxy, then it too will turn off most of the consumers who know nothing about WebOS.

"and that," to paraphrase Yoda, "is why it will fail"
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Do you actually own a TouchPad, or are you simply presuming to speak for TouchPad owners?

Note I own a TouchPad, and so does my wife. Neither of us feel "marginalized". JustSayin...
    I have to agree. I don't feel left out because HP didn't include a 1.3mp camera that has worse quality than the snap and shoot 50 dollar cameras at Walmart. But hey, we all like to lug our tablets around to take pictures right? I mean, it prepares us for being used to lugging around a television camera or something to that effect. Why not complain about the lack of induction charging on all other platforms, or perhaps lack of stereo speakers with superior sound? Or, how about the really bad front facing camera on the ipad2? Less than a megapixel? Don't most cell phones scan those codes? Don't you think it might be a tad easier to use something that fits in your hand to scan something as opposed to a 10" slab?
    look for QR offline decoder - specifically the "OFFLINE" one not the regular one (two different makers), offline one it's almost 100% accurate not sure if TP compatible, but hopefully the author will make one for TP
    Who actually gets anything useful out of QR codes? Their just another marketing gimmick.
    For what it's worth, there is an app in the catalog to take pictures with the front facing camera now.

So if someone wanted to they could make an app for QR codes for the Touchpad as well.
    I'd much would prefer having my Pre Plus camera as a peripheral to my TP, or at least link/share the DCIM (photos/videos library) between the two via WiFi (Bluetooth too slow).

Then I'd snap pics or leave the phone as a remote video camera and view (and preferably, control) the phone's camera from my TP.

Go to it homebrewers!

!!!!
    the only benefit i can see of a rear camera is for augmented reality which could really make use of the larger screen. For example, in the UK the fruit company are currently running adds for their pad which features an app that tells you the name of the constellations with the use of AR.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast