Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Can full apps be made to run as Dashboard notifications on the Touchpad?
    Has it been done already?
    Can old Pre/Pixi/Veer apps be converted to run like this?

This would be great for lots of multitasking things.

eg. A drop down calculator or calender.

Excuse the poor photoshop skills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    actually that would be pretty neat. I think HP should reserve part of the top bar for quick glance widgets just as you suggested.
    hagster likes this.
    I can also see this as being useful for better music controls and stuff like that. This should be hard to implement. Everyone bombard their suggestion box with this request!
    Fantastic idea. However, I would have a separate pull down menu for widgets...there's too much going into the notification area besides notifications already.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Fantastic idea. However, I would have a separate pull down menu for widgets...there's too much going into the notification area besides notifications already.
    Good idea. Probably on the left hand side mirroring the notifications.

Also, How about if every app/widget had a drag bar above it so the widget could be placed in a suitable location. If the drag bar could also include a back button for mojo apps then there would be thousands to choose from, and developers could sell more apps.
    I hope HP is listening to this one...it's a great way to make sure that the Touchpad keeps working like nothing else.
    +1
    I'm not a programmer, but if Glimpse is any indication, this should be easily doable.
    All for One and One for All!
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

Please submit as a feature request at

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Maybe a pull-down widget box could be available in the center for this?

But I think that if some developer was savvy enough, they could put together 4 notifications with calculator controls and buttons with what's already available to developers, much like the multi-notification awesome controls that came with Music Remix 2.0
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
    hagster likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Please submit as a feature request at

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Done

I've included a link to this thread so HP can see peoples thoughts about how this would work best. Please can everyone use the 'like' button to show what ideas they particularly ...errr... like.
    Hey, now that's out of the box thinking. I like that a lot. Well done!
    This reminds me of something I used to do on my 700p and Centro. I forget the name of the app but it allowed you to run apps 'on top' of other apps. There was a shortcut for a context menu and you selected the app you wanted to run 'ontop' of the current app.

The only diff is the notification bar would be utilized instead of a context menu + shortcut key.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

Wonderful idea. I can see a lot of apps using this feature. Calculator as you said, and how about -
    1) Clock - to quickly check home and three other timezones
    2) Weather - Same - home weather and three other cities.
    3) Stock ticker/Silver/gold/currency rates etc... a quick look to see whats going on

I dont always need full blown apps in a seaparate card for any of these apps. The way I would like to see this implemented is, a small sized quick view comes up with a quick view.. But if I want to dig deep, i click on the widget (if you call that a widget), then the app opens in a separate card with full blown details.

Imagine small icons in windows taskbar. I hover over yahoo messenger - it says 3 new messages or whatever..I click on it, it opens the full app. messenger is a bad example - but you get the idea.
  15.    #15  
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 TouchWiz UX hands-on (updated with video!) | This is my next...

Looks like Samsung is just releasing a similar thing called mini-apps, but their a bit slow and not configurable.
    The dashboard has only one size, so it can't completely support the idea put forth by your photoshop. The fixed dashboard size makes sense on the phones or your screen could be overwhelmed by just one calculator app. If the fixed size is sufficient, then that's already possible, but I'm guessing people would prefer a more sizeable windowed dashboard, right?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    The dashboard has only one size, so it can't completely support the idea put forth by your photoshop. The fixed dashboard size makes sense on the phones or your screen could be overwhelmed by just one calculator app. If the fixed size is sufficient, then that's already possible, but I'm guessing people would prefer a more sizeable windowed dashboard, right?
    I thought there was some scope to change the height. For instance on 2.1 when you press the power button the Airplane mode/Power/Cancel option is a triple height dashboard. The enyo design guide also has an example of a double height 'alert' window with a couple of buttons. Are these just stacked notification bars rather than a single window?
    Hmmm, I haven't seen very many Alert windows in action. A dashboard would have to trigger the Alert window immediately but that could be a way to get more room to play with. It wasn't designed for what you'd like to co-opt it for, so there are probably some limitations to how it works or what is possible from there, but someone could probably do something creative there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    Wonderful idea. I can see a lot of apps using this feature. Calculator as you said, and how about -
    1) Clock - to quickly check home and three other timezones
    2) Weather - Same - home weather and three other cities.
    3) Stock ticker/Silver/gold/currency rates etc... a quick look to see whats going on

I dont always need full blown apps in a seaparate card for any of these apps. The way I would like to see this implemented is, a small sized quick view comes up with a quick view.. But if I want to dig deep, i click on the widget (if you call that a widget), then the app opens in a separate card with full blown details.

Imagine small icons in windows taskbar. I hover over yahoo messenger - it says 3 new messages or whatever..I click on it, it opens the full app. messenger is a bad example - but you get the idea.
    The Stock Ticker is brilliant!
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Looks like someone took your idea and made it happen. I just installed the app last night from the App Catalog:

PopupCalc
    v1.0.0 by Hominid Software

and so far it is pretty awesome. I think it cost $0.99 and was well worth it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast