1.    #1  
    Sent original in for cracking at the speakers, got a refurb from HP. Did not return to retailer b/c Wal-Mart had only a 15 day return policy.

Refurb on initial boot (the one I'm actually typing with now) has several stuck/dead pixels & colors wash out without warning. Tint & brightness gets way out of whack.

Had additional replacement approved and sent to me. Got it today. Unwrapped it & it was visibly defective fresh out of the box. I didn't even power on before I called HP. Apparently Foxconn tried to replace the outer shell on it, but the thin rubber lining that rests between screen & plastic case never made it out from under the plastic in one corner before they snapped it back on.

Despite repeated assurances that they go through strict quality control before being sent out, I've not had any luck. So, they are sending me another. Yup, it will be my 4th. I begged and pleaded to just send a NEW unit, but I got the same lines about 'it will be like new'. They have noted my account, so if there is a next time, I 'might' get a new one.

I can't stress enough, I don't want to return anything, or even cost them more money, but this has gone from great/fast customer service, to a complete nightmare. Please, dump Foxconn if this is the type of workmanship they provide on your refurbs. I don't know whether to be mad, or just go cry myself to sleep (exaggeration for effect). I just want the device I absolutely love to be the device I pulled out of the package on July 1st. Why is this happening?!?

Anyway, to make this productive for others, if you do have issues...go to your retailer FIRST and get a new unit, if you can. Something just isn't going well at Foxconn. HP has been great with CS, so I'm not slamming them at all. But please beware of these refurbs. At least in my case, 'like new' has been laughable at best.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Thanks for the info. Sorry you've giving it to us first-hand.
    Well I had a VERY good experience. My HP Touchpad broke near the speak like many other people have had problems with. HP said they'd ship a refurb unit to me in 4-5 days I mentioned leaving soon on vacation and the shipped it to me OVERNIGHT! I received it today at 9:45 am est. The refurb has BETTER hw then my old device. They gave me another UPS bag and a UPS return shipping sticker and it didn't cost me 1 dime.

I'm highly impressed although the customer support can be hard to understand at times. I'm either really lucky or you have some bad luck!

-Toaster
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Well I had a VERY good experience. My HP Touchpad broke near the speak like many other people have had problems with. HP said they'd ship a refurb unit to me in 4-5 days I mentioned leaving soon on vacation and the shipped it to me OVERNIGHT! I received it today at 9:45 am est. The refurb has BETTER hw then my old device. They gave me another UPS bag and a UPS return shipping sticker and it didn't cost me 1 dime.

I'm highly impressed although the customer support can be hard to understand at times. I'm either really lucky or you have some bad luck!

-Toaster
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, customer service has been awesome. I even had a previous post praising the speed that they took care of me. Unfortunately I have had awful luck I guess. I just want a normally functioning, not busted unit. It's killing me.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I'm on my 4th as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    The refurb has BETTER hw then my old device.

How is the hardware better?
    how are they fixing the obvious defect?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    How is the hardware better?
    I'm pretty sure they added stronger plastic to that area. Also my old device the screen wasn't flush on one edge. The new device is flush all around.

Everything else is the same pretty much though. The device did come in a plastic wrapping like the one that came with the device I bought. To be honest I think this is a NEW device not a refurb, but they said it was a refurb on the phone. :P
    That's great if it is new and I really hope they have engineered a quick fix for the plastic case.

Sometimes, if they are short on refurb units I know companies send out new replacements regardless of what their policy states. Apple has done this quite a bit.
    I just noticed that there's a dust speck under my screen. Wondering if I should try to ignore it or roll the dice on a replacement. lol
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I just noticed that there's a dust speck under my screen. Wondering if I should try to ignore it or roll the dice on a replacement. lol
    It's always funnier from the other side. Touche'