Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Well, for one, Palm has to stop redoing things. Take the email app for example.

1) App from the Foleo days
    2) Rewrite for webOS 1.x
    3) Rewrite for webOS 2.x (no more Java backend, nodejs, CSS hw accel)
    4) Rewrite for webOS 3.x (Enyo)

If you discount the Foleo to webOS rewrite, that's still at least twice that the same BASIC suite of apps on webOS has been rewritten.

That's pretty insane if you ask me since Android & iOS has had all that time to work on other improvements.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. I don't have a TouchPad so I can't compare how webOS 3 fares when compared to Android 3 and an iPad (because iOS on iPads isn't iOS on iPhones as far as I know... but that's not very far).

My Pre+ (webOS2 @ 1GHz) however is just as quick to render webpages as my friend's iPhone 3gs, slightly slower than my other friend's Galaxy S, and quite a bit slower than my other friend's iPhone 4 and that Gingerbread phone I played with the other day (no idea what it was because Androids all look the same and have no real distinguishing features apart from where somebody decided to randomly put the four buttons).
    Now all that sounds fairly OK because the Pre is about as quick as the phones that are as old as it is and gets beaten by phones that are newer, but the benchmarks the TouchPad has undergone would suggest that this is in fact one area where webOS has stagnated.

Again, I don't think this is catastrophic; HP has been busy with other stuff that was way more important than making sure webOS doesn't lag behind by precious milliseconds or even a second here and there. But now that that stuff is done, they can go back to implementing these little things that, at the end of the day, end up going a long way.
    Go buy a touchpad and see if you feel the same way. In real world scenarios it's not that much of a difference. Most of the times when the tp is noticeably slower its because the iPad is rendering a tablet version of a site where the tp is loading full site. Or there's flash loading to slow the tp down.
    mespiff likes this.
    is it just me or are there a lot of people who do not own a touchpad complaining about it's performance-- i have enjoyed my touchpad since i bought it and when compared to the ipad i find there to be no comparison -- at times the ipad may move slightly more quickly -- but the os is so much less intuitive in my opinion that it is cumbersome to use. I have now over clocked the TP with F15c (better) and Govnah (even better) and now a govnah that Overclocks both processors (holyfri#%$cncrap it is fast) it is a smooth and beautiful experience. Some people out there will complain that it is a shame that the community should not have to step up and tweak the system to make it this much better and i would say that this one of the reasons that i love webos and that i will continue to purchase their products.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    peterlemonjello likes this.
    Funny I have applied all the patches and have jumped it up to 1.7 from 1.2 and to be honest I do not find it that much faster, yes its faster, but this is now overclocked to hell and back. I hate to bring up the name, but the other guy (happen to have one in the house is faster at everything). An the other guy is not overclocked or tweaked.

Where I do agree is the use and intuitive feel of the TP is one slick item. But that can wear thin after a while, while you wait for everything to load.

Thank god we have all the community (and a great job they are doing, thanks) here working on tweaks for the TP or mine would of been returned and still might be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    Well, for one, Palm has to stop redoing things.
    You sir, have hit upon the single biggest problem with how Palm and later HP have handled webOS after it's debut. They keep trying to re-invent webOS and continue to try and fix what ain't broke. On the other hand, things that are actually broke and or are missing from webOS, continue to lie by the wayside. If only HP had not forced out so many of the original architects of webOS who apparently were the one's with the vision and ability to deliver on that vision.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by judge34411 View Post
    Funny I have applied all the patches and have jumped it up to 1.7 from 1.2 and to be honest I do not find it that much faster, yes its faster, but this is now overclocked to hell and back. I hate to bring up the name, but the other guy (happen to have one in the house is faster at everything). An the other guy is not overclocked or tweaked.

Where I do agree is the use and intuitive feel of the TP is one slick item. But that can wear thin after a while, while you wait for everything to load.

Thank god we have all the community (and a great job they are doing, thanks) here working on tweaks for the TP or mine would of been returned and still might be.
    FWIW, some of the patches seem to slow things down after the 3.0.2 update.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    FWIW, some of the patches seem to slow things down after the 3.0.2 update.
    Well if I understood the gentleman from internals right, the main speed improvement (ignoring overclocking) is to squash all the logging. An if I read it right all patches I now have have been optimized for 3.0.2

An of course as was pointed out by another post TP loads flash, and full web pages instead of just for tablet. But I still find all general loading slow, faster than before but still slow. I just find it a shame since the OS of TP is probably one of the most dynamic out there.
    The logging patches definitely help. The unthrottled Download patch slows things down for me. The hyper and radius patch doesn't affect speed either.

Don't forget to dial ##logs# in the phone app and set logging to minimal. Then restart your tp. Im not sure if the logging patches do this but I always manually do it just in case.

edit: don't forget to install EOM Overlord Monitoring
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 08/05/2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    The logging patches definitely help. The unthrottled Download patch slows things down for me. The hyper and radius patch doesn't affect speed either.

Don't forget to dial ##logs# in the phone app and set logging to minimal. Then restart your tp. Im not sure if the logging patches do this but I always manually do it just in case.
    I will try to remove the unthrottled and see thanks.

Perfect timing I was just looking for that phone ##Logs# one I think I forgot to re-install it after all my updates and forgot to. Thanks for saving me the time of looking that one up. As I said I was literally looking for it when you posted.

I had doctored my pad think that had been removed.
    Last edited by judge34411; 08/04/2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Editing for addition
    good luck. I'm not sure why but the unthrottled patch really slowed down my speedtest.net test. They were half the speed running without the patch. It does the opposite on my pre+.
    razorsedge likes this.
    My OC Results.

I did some unscientific tests of my OC'd Touchpad. All tests had the speed patches and logs disabled.

Pre-Overclock load times on a freshly booted TP
    The times are from tap until app is loaded with data.
    email: 7 seconds
    web (no page): 2 seconds
    software manager: 10 seconds
    facebook: 8 seconds
    need for feeds: 5 seconds open, 15 seconds load feeds
    photos: 8 seconds til photos show
    weatherbug:
    Initial load: 10 seconds
    5 day view: 5 seconds
    Load map: 15 seconds
    HP Catalog = 7 Seconds

After OC to FC15 Eagle:
    Not even going to list because everything was exactly the same. I couldn't tell the difference between the OC and normal. The first processor would jump to 1.7 whatever, but the second mostly sat there dormant. None of the animations, transitions, scrolling or really anything else seemed different.

After UberKernal:
    email: 7 seconds
    web: 2 seconds
    software manager: 5 seconds (test probably was tainted)
    facebook: 12 seconds (don't think this is right either)
    need for feeds: 4 seconds open, 25 seconds load feeds (minor improvement)
    photos: 6 seconds til photos show (2 second improvement)
    weatherbug: (noticeably faster across all functions)
    Initial load: 8 seconds
    5 day view: 4 seconds
    Load map: 12 seconds
    HP Catalog = 7 Seconds

Bottom Line
    Overall...I just don't see it. Same sort of slight choppiness in the scrolling, same slight choppiness in the pane animation, nothing really zips open.

Maybe its just my touchpad...I dunno. I am mighty disapointed.
    Last edited by nyquistJack; 08/04/2011 at 10:59 PM.
    seriously... The difference with f15c v stock is pretty amazing. Are ipads really faster than this?
    nyquistJack, you neglected to test OC + patches.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    My email takes about 2 seconds, on freeTether @70mph.not exaggerating.
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    nyquistJack, you neglected to test OC + patches.
    updated my original post to be more clear. The patches were installed for all tests
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    My email takes about 2 seconds, on freeTether @70mph.not exaggerating.
    after first launch my email is more or less instantaneous, always has been
    Quote Originally Posted by pbecot01 View Post
    seriously... The difference with f15c v stock is pretty amazing. Are ipads really faster than this?
    Yes Ipads are faster, but they are not the same they load skinny and clean, TP brings the heat.
    I think the warthog kernel at 1.7GHz might have been a bit much for my TouchPad. I came back home to find the battery depleted even though it was sitting on the touchstone while I was at work. Now I've left it plugged in for 10 minutes or so, and it won't go past the low battery pre-boot screen. I figured I should try membooting to a stable kernel to get the battery up, but I can't seem to get into bootie mode either. It just stays in the low-power charging state.

I'm guessing I should just leave it plugged in longer to see if it eventually boots, but if that fails I dunno where I should go from there.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just checked the tablet and suddenly it's in bootie mode. Membooting now.
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 08/05/2011 at 01:40 AM.
    started off with stock. Installed 3.0.2 update.

installed standard patches with preware. Installed F15C. Rebooted and every metric is dramatically improved across the board.

email - nearly instant, web -nearly instant - not page load times, those are highly variable
    app store - under 5 sec, fb - 5 sec

both cores running according to govna
    peak temp 34C
    680-1000 mA

haven't noticed any difference in battery life. F15C running for 24 hours so far with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by glazunov View Post
    started off with stock. Installed 3.0.2 update.

installed standard patches with preware. Installed F15C. Rebooted and every metric is dramatically improved across the board.

email - nearly instant, web -nearly instant - not page load times, those are highly variable
    app store - under 5 sec, fb - 5 sec

both cores running according to govna
    peak temp 34C
    680-1000 mA

haven't noticed any difference in battery life. F15C running for 24 hours so far with no issues.
    What is your Governor set to? On-demand? Screenstate? Performance?

I have issues with screenstate by the way. Tried it couple of times, but every time the screen didn't wake up anymore after it went to sleep.
    Last edited by joblamie; 08/05/2011 at 02:19 AM.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast