Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 322
Like Tree23Likes
  1. #121  
    Using Uberker right now. 1.512 set at max with 540MHz set a min. Runs much smoother and quicker. Have not tried the f15c yet. Uber is what I also use on my Pre minus and I've always been satisfied with it.

    Don't know about battery life just yet. I just installed Uber last night on my Touchpad. I'll know more about battery life after a few days and I'll report back here.

    Thanks to the homebrew crew for still rocking out these kernels, regardless of the device type!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  2. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #122  
    I was quite happy with uber on my palm pre. Im now running f15c on my TP and have had ZERO issues!! Its smooth and fast.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    did you specify 1.782GHz in your on-demand profile?
    Duh. No. Carry on.

    It's screaming now!
  4. #124  
    Now that I'm all doctored, all apps/settings completely all configured again, why do I have this big temptation to give it another go? :P The OverClocking force is strong!
    sledge007 and michaelone like this.
  5. #125  
    FYI, I have been running Uberkernel for a couple of days, clearly, this shouldn't be too unstable, since the TP processor is a 1.5 GHz processor, and the uberkernel just returns it to that speed, but I wanted to report that I just watched a full hour of fullscreen video on hulu, while the TP was sitting on the touchstone, and at the end the temperature reported by Govnah was...34°C. Not too shabby.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  6. #126  
    Am I the only one who loves the speed of the TouchPad when Governor is set at 'Performance'? Having the CPU always at 1.7Ghz seems to really make a huge difference, there is no more lag at all. But is it a setting that I should not use?
  7. #127  
    Sadly it seems like clock speed isn't webOS main problem right now. Sure, it helps with stuff, but webOS has absolutely stagnated when it comes to page load times while the competition, as much as it pains me to admit it, has made leaps and bounds.

    The processor crunching along quicker doesn't help if the browser is simply much slower at rendering pages than, say, the Android or iOS browsers (and it is). It also doesn't help if every once in a while, scrolling stutters (and it does, and while it's just a cosmetic thing it appears to matter to people A LOT). The same is true for system startup. Not that anyone ever boots down a tablet, or restarts it. People shouldn't care about that, but they do.

    Meanwhile, the fact that other platforms absolutely destroy webOS in terms of website rendering IS something people should care about. And they do. And webOS still doesn't do it any quicker.

    These things are what HP should fix, and they're not fixing them. Sure, stuff like a new browser engine isn't what you put into an x.0.2 update, but still.

    I'm not mad because HP had their work cut out for them when they had to integrate webOS, but now that it's integrated and they're on that marathon road, I'm expecting them to start running. A quicker browser engine with faster page load / render times is part of what I'm expecting.
  8. w0z
    w0z is offline
    w0z's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Sadly it seems like clock speed isn't webOS main problem right now. Sure, it helps with stuff, but webOS has absolutely stagnated when it comes to page load times while the competition, as much as it pains me to admit it, has made leaps and bounds.

    The processor crunching along quicker doesn't help if the browser is simply much slower at rendering pages than, say, the Android or iOS browsers (and it is). It also doesn't help if every once in a while, scrolling stutters (and it does, and while it's just a cosmetic thing it appears to matter to people A LOT). The same is true for system startup. Not that anyone ever boots down a tablet, or restarts it. People shouldn't care about that, but they do.

    Meanwhile, the fact that other platforms absolutely destroy webOS in terms of website rendering IS something people should care about. And they do. And webOS still doesn't do it any quicker.

    These things are what HP should fix, and they're not fixing them. Sure, stuff like a new browser engine isn't what you put into an x.0.2 update, but still.

    I'm not mad because HP had their work cut out for them when they had to integrate webOS, but now that it's integrated and they're on that marathon road, I'm expecting them to start running. A quicker browser engine with faster page load / render times is part of what I'm expecting.
    That's essentially what PC World said in this article:

    Tests Show HP TouchPad Update Falls Short | PCWorld

    Fixing the wrong things

    We updated our test unit with the fresh 3.0.2 HP WebOS system update, which promised, among other things "increased system performance and stability." Beyond doing a poor job of improving performance, though, another problem with this update is that it seems to fix the wrong things. Of the 15 bullet points listed, few were things we were especially concerned about based on our usage of the TouchPad.

    We ran the updated TouchPad through a core set of the PCWorld Labs’ tablet performance tests. Unfortunately, the TouchPad’s firmware update did little to speed up what was one of the slowest tablets we've ever tested—although it did improve things ever-so-slightly. For example on our SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark tests, TouchPad improved its performance by 0.4 seconds, from 4.1 seconds to 3.7 seconds. But the fastest tablet on this test, the Acer Iconia Tab A500, performed the same test in just 1.9 seconds and competitors like the Apple iPad and Motorola Xoom clocked in at 2.1 seconds.

    On our cold-start tablet start-up test, the TouchPad improved from 69 seconds to 65.8 seconds. That’s still glacially slow, though, by comparison to the competition – the iPad takes just 26 seconds to start up.

    The TouchPad's page load times were mixed. The TouchPad was faster in loading on one of our test Web pages, going from 8.3 seconds to 6.1 seconds. but the other page actually took 1.9 seconds longer (30 to the previously recorded 28.1 seconds). Again, the best times among tablets for these tests were far faster: 2.4 seconds for the first page and 6.4 seconds for the second.

    And the file transfer speed performance was mixed, too. It actually took up to 8 seconds longer this time around to transfer 3GB of files from the device back to our PC.
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    8hrs on reviews? give me a break.

    holla
    Actually my TouchPad was at 5% this morning, after sitting about 8 hours overnight with screen on and brightness about 75%. I had meant to put it on the Touchstone before going to sleep but it must have slipped off.
  10. #130  
    Please stay on topic. There are other threads about the internet browser and this is not one of them. Thanks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Sadly it seems like clock speed isn't webOS main problem right now. Sure, it helps with stuff, but webOS has absolutely stagnated when it comes to page load times while the competition, as much as it pains me to admit it, has made leaps and bounds.

    The processor crunching along quicker doesn't help if the browser is simply much slower at rendering pages than, say, the Android or iOS browsers (and it is). It also doesn't help if every once in a while, scrolling stutters (and it does, and while it's just a cosmetic thing it appears to matter to people A LOT). The same is true for system startup. Not that anyone ever boots down a tablet, or restarts it. People shouldn't care about that, but they do.

    Meanwhile, the fact that other platforms absolutely destroy webOS in terms of website rendering IS something people should care about. And they do. And webOS still doesn't do it any quicker.

    These things are what HP should fix, and they're not fixing them. Sure, stuff like a new browser engine isn't what you put into an x.0.2 update, but still.

    I'm not mad because HP had their work cut out for them when they had to integrate webOS, but now that it's integrated and they're on that marathon road, I'm expecting them to start running. A quicker browser engine with faster page load / render times is part of what I'm expecting.
    Very well said. Maybe HP should get back atleast some of those from the original webOS team to get it back on track.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  12. #132  
    Did you install 2 testing feeds? All and armv7?
  13. elopez's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Very well said. Maybe HP should get back atleast some of those from the original webOS team to get it back on track.
    not very well said. Who's to say graphics acceleration and better rendering arn't in the pipeline as we speak?
  14. gharlas's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #134  
    the updates are coming hard and fast. Just overclocked 2 days ago and there are already updates for Govnah and F15c. Should be fun!. Love this thing!
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Sadly it seems like clock speed isn't webOS main problem right now. Sure, it helps with stuff, but webOS has absolutely stagnated when it comes to page load times while the competition, as much as it pains me to admit it, has made leaps and bounds.

    The processor crunching along quicker doesn't help if the browser is simply much slower at rendering pages than, say, the Android or iOS browsers (and it is). It also doesn't help if every once in a while, scrolling stutters (and it does, and while it's just a cosmetic thing it appears to matter to people A LOT). The same is true for system startup. Not that anyone ever boots down a tablet, or restarts it. People shouldn't care about that, but they do.

    Meanwhile, the fact that other platforms absolutely destroy webOS in terms of website rendering IS something people should care about. And they do. And webOS still doesn't do it any quicker.

    These things are what HP should fix, and they're not fixing them. Sure, stuff like a new browser engine isn't what you put into an x.0.2 update, but still.

    I'm not mad because HP had their work cut out for them when they had to integrate webOS, but now that it's integrated and they're on that marathon road, I'm expecting them to start running. A quicker browser engine with faster page load / render times is part of what I'm expecting.
    this isn't as clear cut for me as it is you. I've tested loading sites on my tp and ipad2 and the render times are very similar. Not even noticeable most of the time. Sometimes sunspider results don't reflect reality.
  16. #136  
    To GodShapedHole's point, overclocking to some extent masks the inherent slowness of the webOS layer. There are significant gains to be made by appropriate optimization of the framework layer so please let Palm know accordingly.

    Just because we *can* overclock does not mean that it is the correct solution. I for one would love to see Palm stop shipping with debug turned on for everything as an example. Turning that off alone makes for a noticeable difference.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

    Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

    Donations go towards further experimentation.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Sadly it seems like clock speed isn't webOS main problem right now. Sure, it helps with stuff, but webOS has absolutely stagnated when it comes to page load times while the competition, as much as it pains me to admit it, has made leaps and bounds.

    The processor crunching along quicker doesn't help if the browser is simply much slower at rendering pages than, say, the Android or iOS browsers (and it is). It also doesn't help if every once in a while, scrolling stutters (and it does, and while it's just a cosmetic thing it appears to matter to people A LOT). The same is true for system startup. Not that anyone ever boots down a tablet, or restarts it. People shouldn't care about that, but they do.

    Meanwhile, the fact that other platforms absolutely destroy webOS in terms of website rendering IS something people should care about. And they do. And webOS still doesn't do it any quicker.

    These things are what HP should fix, and they're not fixing them. Sure, stuff like a new browser engine isn't what you put into an x.0.2 update, but still.

    I'm not mad because HP had their work cut out for them when they had to integrate webOS, but now that it's integrated and they're on that marathon road, I'm expecting them to start running. A quicker browser engine with faster page load / render times is part of what I'm expecting.
    So when you say the competition destroys WebOS on webpage loading, can you translate that into seconds on a typical web site?
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by elopez View Post
    not very well said. Who's to say graphics acceleration and better rendering arn't in the pipeline as we speak?
    Who's to say a million other things. But the fact is, that based on the 'main man' Jon Rubinstein's statement, that they have been working on 3.0.2 for over 'FOUR' months and the final results of 3.0.2, it really does not look like 'they' have been to concerned about rendering or graphics acceleration. In fact it seems more and more like their focus ahs been on making webOS more and more like the competition of yesterday.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  19. #139  
    with UberKernel, it seems the 1.5ghz profile in Govnah doesn't stick after a reboot? I'm assuming this is intentional? Or is it just me and it should be sticking?
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    So when you say the competition destroys WebOS on webpage loading, can you translate that into seconds on a typical web site?
    Yeah, pretty much. I don't have a TouchPad so I can't compare how webOS 3 fares when compared to Android 3 and an iPad (because iOS on iPads isn't iOS on iPhones as far as I know... but that's not very far).

    My Pre+ (webOS2 @ 1GHz) however is just as quick to render webpages as my friend's iPhone 3gs, slightly slower than my other friend's Galaxy S, and quite a bit slower than my other friend's iPhone 4 and that Gingerbread phone I played with the other day (no idea what it was because Androids all look the same and have no real distinguishing features apart from where somebody decided to randomly put the four buttons).
    Now all that sounds fairly OK because the Pre is about as quick as the phones that are as old as it is and gets beaten by phones that are newer, but the benchmarks the TouchPad has undergone would suggest that this is in fact one area where webOS has stagnated.

    Again, I don't think this is catastrophic; HP has been busy with other stuff that was way more important than making sure webOS doesn't lag behind by precious milliseconds or even a second here and there. But now that that stuff is done, they can go back to implementing these little things that, at the end of the day, end up going a long way.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions