Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. w0z
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    James thanks for being a bit of fresh air amongst all the iFanbois at ZDNet.
    Quote Originally Posted by gqgiant View Post
    wow very sweet...

f15c eagle here with 1.728ghz
    33C
    battery current about -700 to -760
    What did you use to see these stats?
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    What did you use to see these stats?
    govnah
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Why all the request for videos? Are there really that many people lurking here without a TP?
    More like TP owners that don't want to do alpha testing of these kernels, there are some risks involved.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    I installed the WarthogKernal yesterday and Govnah was showing I was only running at 1ghz. I'd seen a tweet by Rod I believe saying the Warthog and F15 kernals auto set your speed at 1.5 or 1.7 without any need for Govnah use. Didn't seem the case for me? Do you have to manually create a new profile with the speed you want in Govnah? Also, curious if anyone has ran into this. While having Warthog installed, going to the Youtube.com website, no videos would play from there, just an endless black screen. However, they'd play fine when embedded into other webpages.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    As it's been stated above, there is only 1 feed that has the testing kernels in it. When I put my feeds in and followed all the directions, I didn't see the new kernels until a day later. I did add them the day of the update, so they might not have been made compatible at that time.

Nobody here is trying to be to secretive regarding the kernels. We just want to make sure you can figure out how to do it on your own. In the off-chance that you fry your TouchPad(or whatever device you are trying to overclock), then that responsibility lies solely on you. CYA rules in effect
    I don't think there is a conspiracy here, I just can't get it to work.

As for figuring it out on my own... unless there is something else besides adding the testing feed and rebooting then there is nothing left for me to figure out. I have followed the directions EXACTLY but it is not working for me. I'm sure there is something I'm doing wrong here but I am at a loss as to what it is. Is there a feed that I *shouldn't* have that might interfere with the kernel testing feed? That's the only thing I can think of.

Also, I saw where someone had posted what appears to be the actual feed address on the first page of this thread. I have tried adding that as well but every time I reboot the feed disappears.

Again, is there any way I can just add this via quick install? Maybe taking out the human element will yield success.
    Nevermind, the address on the first page isn't the kernel testing feed, but someone posted it on the third page. I added it and it showed up immediately. Seems like there could be a better solution to do this than to go through adding a dummy address and rebooting, like a warning popup whenever you access the kernel list under "Available Packages".

Thanks to everyone for their help!
    F15 auto set the parameters for me.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    Nevermind, the address on the first page isn't the kernel testing feed, but someone posted it on the third page. I added it and it showed up immediately. Seems like there could be a better solution to do this than to go through adding a dummy address and rebooting, like a warning popup whenever you access the kernel list under "Available Packages".

The point of the "hoops" is to ensure that people read the instructions purposefully and thoroughly. If one cannot do that; then its unlikely that the individual would be a good alpha tester.

There have numerous instances of 'users' blindly installing anything that pops into Preware without understanding the consequences and then whingeing in the forums. Adding a 'button' or pop-up is just another 'blind click' to those people, similar to reading a EULA.

Just in case I wasn't clear, here are the rules posted by WebOS Internals:
    Rules that you must agree to before using these feeds
    Before you use our testing feeds, please read and agree to the following rules:

- Anyone participating in WebOS Internals alpha testing of any kind must be prepared to fully erase and webOS Doctor their device at a moment's notice without warning and without any regrets or complaints.
    - They must be prepared to and able to log into the command line on the device and type Linux commands when instructed to do so. Knowing Linux commands ahead of time is preferred, but not required if you are willing to learn them when necessary or can follow instructions without making mistakes.
    - They must be prepared to go to great and extraordinary lengths to try and reliably reproduce any problems they encounter.
    - They must give full and detailed bug reports, leaving out no piece of information which could possibly be remotely connected to the problem.
    - They must read any and all documentation and forums threads (in their entirety) before asking a question.
    - They must fastidiously follow the forum threads where the alpha testing is being discussed by the authors, and follow precisely any instructions given there.
    - If you're not prepared to do *all* the above, and do it all in good spirit, then please wait for the public release of the item.

- If you are prepared to do *all* the above, then by all means please participate in the alpha testing.

Note that everything above is a function of attitude, not of skill.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The point of the "hoops" is to ensure that people read the instructions purposefully and thoroughly. If one cannot do that; then its unlikely that the individual would be a good alpha tester.

There have numerous instances of 'users' blindly installing anything that pops into Preware without understanding the consequences and then whingeing in the forums. Adding a 'button' or pop-up is just another 'blind click' to those people, similar to reading a EULA.
    I suppose you're right. I am very interested to know why I couldn't get it to work. The instructions are simple enough and I'm sure I followed them correctly the TEN or so times I tried it but to no avail. Does anyone know where I might have gone wrong here?

I would type the name in, add the dummy url and hit add feed. I clicked "OK" when the warning came up and the feed with the dummy url would be added to the list. I then did at some point ALL of these things:

1) Held the power button and home button to restart. Upon restart immediately go to Preware. The feeds load on start up but I would reload them again to make sure. When I checked the feeds list the kernel testing feed was not listed.

2) Held power until I had the option to shut down and did. Then I would hit the power button to restart and immediately go to Preware. The feeds load on start up but I would reload them again to make sure. When I checked the feeds list the kernel testing feed was not listed.

3) Would back out of the Manage Feeds screen where I would get the "Update Feeds" button. Ignored it and restarted from there.

4) Would back out of the Manage Feeds screen where I would get the "Update Feeds" button. I would update feeds but the kernels wouldn't show. Rebooting didn't help.

I know some of these are wrong (like 2-4) but I was desperate. I'm sure my problem lies somewhere in the reboot. If someone sees a problem please let me know what it is.

Glad you got it sorted.....it is what it is and the same process for overclocking your phone as well

I think it's a "make sure you read every little detail" more than anything
    One thing I still haven't figured out is if I can swap between different kernels directly or if I should always install the palm default first, reboot, then install a different custom one.
    You should remove the OC kernel, before adding a new one. Take the time and reduce the risk.
    My testing kernels finally showed up today as well. I wonder if they didn't show because I have Preware set to only update once a day instead of every time I open it.
    I suppose you're right. I am very interested to know why I couldn't get it to work. The instructions are simple enough and I'm sure I followed them correctly the TEN or so times I tried it but to no avail. Does anyone know where I might have gone wrong here?

I would type the name in, add the dummy url and hit add feed. I clicked "OK" when the warning came up and the feed with the dummy url would be added to the list. I then did at some point ALL of these things:

1) Held the power button and home button to restart. Upon restart immediately go to Preware. The feeds load on start up but I would reload them again to make sure. When I checked the feeds list the kernel testing feed was not listed.

2) Held power until I had the option to shut down and did. Then I would hit the power button to restart and immediately go to Preware. The feeds load on start up but I would reload them again to make sure. When I checked the feeds list the kernel testing feed was not listed.

3) Would back out of the Manage Feeds screen where I would get the "Update Feeds" button. Ignored it and restarted from there.

4) Would back out of the Manage Feeds screen where I would get the "Update Feeds" button. I would update feeds but the kernels wouldn't show. Rebooting didn't help.

I know some of these are wrong (like 2-4) but I was desperate. I'm sure my problem lies somewhere in the reboot. If someone sees a problem please let me know what it is.
    I had the same problem adding the Kernel testing feed. I added the Touchpad (armv7 or webos-testing feed) and the kernel testing feed. Rebooted and the webos-testing feed showed up but no webos-kernel-testing feed.

What did work for me was adding both webos-testing and webos-testing-all along with webos-kernel-testing. Shutdown and powered up and finally the kernel testing feed showed up. Now that I see it, I'm too chicken to actually test the kernel!!!
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    I haven't played with alternative kernels since the pre+, now on the pre2 and TP. i have one question I want to be sure of before installing the uberkernel on the tp and that is: How do I get back? I see the regular kernel in preware, do I uninstall and then install the original? Just install the orginal over the rop of the testing one? Just want to know a clear path short of the Doctor.

Thanks to all for the hard work and excitement, not just for the kernel, but all of preware. It must time for another donation .
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w0z View Post
    For those running these kernals, what is the maximum temperature you're seeing on Govhah?

1. Palm Kernal ?
    2. UberKernal (I see 35C max)
    3. WarthogKernal ?
    4. F15C Eagle ?
    running warthog- 1.782ghz, 31c
    Hmm. I tried out the eagle kernel and found it to be more jittery than uberkernel in spite of the higher clock speed. So warthog is more stable, I take it?

Edit: gave warthog a shot and yeah, it's a lot better. Sweet.
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 08/03/2011 at 07:40 PM.
    Like an earlier poster, I'm not seeing speeds above 1.188 with the F15 kernel. Is this because it's an on-demand profile?

I just installed the patch that unsets the cfq scheduler, which may help?
    did you specify 1.782GHz in your on-demand profile?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast