Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Not sure if this is the place to post it, but running @1.5ghz using uberkernel + Govnah, and the sound stopped working after leaving the Touchpad at home all day. A luna restart didn't work, but a full reboot fixed the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    nononononooooo... puh-leeeeeez, no. I've <seen> cpu2 come to life; I just have to push things hard enough to warrant it. (Which was quite entertaining in and of itself...) Most people don't push the Touchpad to the point where it's actually needed. Some of us do, esp. that want this to become useful in the business world will <need> this, as the ecosystem comes together. I actually really appreciate that it'll slow down and disable a core if the workload doesn't require it. IMHO, that's elegant programming.
    With the stock kernel it ramps up quicker due to the slower CPU speed. Also F15 starts it's bottom end at 432MHz (the real bottom) so the governor calculates things correctly when scaling up, so scaling from 192MHz during peak load will ramp up the 2nd core quicker, hence people seeing the 2nd core come online more than with my kernel. Along with the fact it's also 1.7GHz and I do other tweaks to run more efficient so it really doesnt need the 2nd core as much. Also, most users aren't ramping up Govnah to poll every 1s to actually see the 2nd core ramp up.
    Live free or DIE!
    New TP user here wanting to overclock.

Is this the Preware a TouchPad user installs?

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Or is that just for Palm Phone devices?
    Last edited by stardomains; 08/12/2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stardomains View Post
    New TP user here wanting to overclock.

Is this the Preware a TouchPad user installs?

[url= - WebOS Internals[/url]

Or is that just for Palm Phone devices?
    Install http://bit.ly/phd-ac for instructions that work on all devices.

-- Rod
    Have had Uberkernel along with Govnah running for a couple of weeks now and everything so far seems to running great. Battery life has not significantly changed, although I've been using the TP more lately in terms of playing games and watching vids. My temp is usually range between 26 to 35 degrees. I tried the NOOP option and found the CFQ option to be be better. I will however, do further comparisons between the two. No major issues, it still stalls ones in a blue moon, but I need to get into a habit of rebooting once in a while. Have had too many cards error, but only with too many browers open playing vids. Thanks!!
    I just downloaded Uberkernel. Working MUCH faster then original.
    I got it working.

When official HP updates come what is the best policy?

Revert to official kernel?+
    Remove patches?+
    Remove Governr?+
    Remove Preware?

And then update and then reinstall them?
    No need to remove Preware or Govnah. Removing patches and reverting the kernel is a good idea though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    No need to remove Preware or Govnah. Removing patches and reverting the kernel is a good idea though.
    There is never a need to revert UberKernel. Either the kernel is overwritten by the update (in which case you just reinstall UberKernel afterwards), or the kernel is not overwritten by the update (in which case by definition it will still work).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification there.
    before installing uberkernel; I suffered from random periods of lag, where the screen seemingly accepted no input for 10 to 20 seconds (yes, running 3.0.2).

after installing uberkernel; problems are completely gone!
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I just installed uberkernel. Certainly adds pep to my TP when running at 1.5. So far no issues.
    I just installed uberkernel. Govnah sees both CPUs running up to 1512. At idle, I see 1st CPU drop to 192MHz and 2nd CPU go to zero. Battery current draw with wifi off and screen at dimmest is 481-500 mA. Battery temp is 31*C.

I have not played with it enough to notice any usability difference yet.

I didn't see it in the Govnah settings - is there a CPU temp graph?

Thanks to all for the efforts.
    We haven't found the temp sensor on the touchpad cpu yet.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    1,292 Global Posts
    I'm going to be heading to my local Best Buy around 830ish because they start selling the TouchPad at 1000. What is the deal with this overclocking? I've never owned a WebOS based device (only apple). Does this speed the system up? Can this be done if I own a Apple Macbook as my computer?

Thanks everyone.
    All you need, to overclock (speed up) the TouchPad, is 'Preware Homebrew Documentation' buy this from the app catalog and follow instructions to the wonders of webOS.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    All you need, to overclock (speed up) the TouchPad, is 'Preware Homebrew Documentation' buy this from the app catalog and follow instructions to the wonders of webOS.
    It really is super easy. Bought my 149 touchpad yesterday at walmart, had preware installed and overclocked in a matter of minutes after reading the instructions. Even brand new the device was lagging at times but at 1.5ghz it's amazing the difference now
    Quote Originally Posted by Benn00 View Post
    It really is super easy. Bought my 149 touchpad yesterday at walmart, had preware installed and overclocked in a matter of minutes after reading the instructions. Even brand new the device was lagging at times but at 1.5ghz it's amazing the difference now
    We aim to please. Feel free to visit http://donate.webos-internals.org to show appreciation.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I am another new touchpad user who is simply amazed at the difference in performance between stock and after Uberkernel @1.5GHz with the key non-logging patches and other speed patches. It's truly crazy how big of an improvement these make. Night and day...Fantastic job to you, Rod, and your team...and all the Homebrewers.
    Here's what has made mine very fast.

Uberkernel 1.5
    Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
    Increased touch sensitivity and smoothness 10
    Muffle system logging
    Unset CFQ IO scheduler
    Unthrottle download manager

Govnah Advanced Settings
    - CPU Frequency: Ondemand
    - I/O Scheduler: NOOP
    - TCP Congestion: RENO