Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    I've been running rock stable with Warthog at 1.7Ghz for days now. My only problem is that sometimes it seems my TouchPad forgets it has wifi. It won't see any networks until I reboot. Not a huge deal to me really but it's a bit odd
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    ...the unset CFQ io scheduler far and away made the largest performance difference of the various patches (documented elsewhere very nicely). I'd not installed it previously, as I'd not yet figured out what is was for. Researched it today... Oh yes...

Wow! Thought it was fast before... Wow.

Then changed the I/O scheduler to noop vs. cfq in Gonna. Next up is to see if TCP congestion makes a difference to my WiFi performance.
    What exactly does the unset CFQ IO scheduler patch do?

And what's the TCP congestion?
    note that I haven't written code since the early 90's, so I had to do some research to figure this out. Have learned the hard way that just applying patches for no good reason is not intrinsically a good thing.

So... here's my current summary, which may actually be reasonably close to correct:

The /etc/init.d/swaphack.sh file, by default has a CFQ override; it appears that this patch removes it. Then by explicitly changing to noop in Govnah, you've changed how the Touchpad queues interactions between the kernel and the flash memory.

CFQ stands for "Completely Fair Queuing"; as a linux kernel i/o function, it is one of a number of methodologies that can be used for prioritizing or timeslicing access to the disk. Other standard Linux i/o schedulers are NOOP, deadline and anticipatory; in researching them, I read that each has a relative primary use case benefit:
    CFQ - current default Linux i/o scheduler, best suited for multi-core server environments
    Deadline - guarantees i/o access schedule, best suited for database environments
    Anticipatory - schedules HDD access, seems suited only if you had a spinny real hard drive
    Noop - simple first in first out queue, best suited for flash memory (which is what the Touchpad has)

all that to say in English is that if you've got lots of things open, the default setting of CFQ is going to equally slice time to each thing, even if you're not using it at that moment. By changing it to Noop, then whatever you're actively doing is going to get the immediate priority. This translates to speed or at least human perception of it. Hubba! Hubba!

The TCP congestion setting appears to specify which algorithm is applied to avoid communications issues. The current Linux kernel (and WebOS) default is Cubic. It's intended for high speed networking environments with high latency. If it sees a congestion event, it'll then expand the wait period; so, I've changed the TCP congestion setting in Govnah to Reno to see if this changes the WiFi performance issues I've been seeing. Haven't had enough time with it to yet determine if there's any impact or not.

Regardless, it is highly entertaining to go back and let my inner geek play a little. Perhaps the Homebrew and Linux guys will correct my errors. After they stop laughing, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    note that I haven't written code since the early 90's, so I had to do some research to figure this out. Have learned the hard way that just applying patches for no good reason is not intrinsically a good thing.

So... here's my current summary, which may actually be reasonably close to correct:

The /etc/init.d/swaphack.sh file, by default has a CFQ override; it appears that this patch removes it. Then by explicitly changing to noop in Govnah, you've changed how the Touchpad queues interactions between the kernel and the flash memory.

CFQ stands for "Completely Fair Queuing"; as a linux kernel i/o function, it is one of a number of methodologies that can be used for prioritizing or timeslicing access to the disk. Other standard Linux i/o schedulers are NOOP, deadline and anticipatory; in researching them, I read that each has a relative primary use case benefit:
    CFQ - current default Linux i/o scheduler, best suited for multi-core server environments
    Deadline - guarantees i/o access schedule, best suited for database environments
    Anticipatory - schedules HDD access, seems suited only if you had a spinny real hard drive
    Noop - simple first in first out queue, best suited for flash memory (which is what the Touchpad has)

all that to say in English is that if you've got lots of things open, the default setting of CFQ is going to equally slice time to each thing, even if you're not using it at that moment. By changing it to Noop, then whatever you're actively doing is going to get the immediate priority. This translates to speed or at least human perception of it. Hubba! Hubba!

The TCP congestion setting appears to specify which algorithm is applied to avoid communications issues. The current Linux kernel (and WebOS) default is Cubic. It's intended for high speed networking environments with high latency. If it sees a congestion event, it'll then expand the wait period; so, I've changed the TCP congestion setting in Govnah to Reno to see if this changes the WiFi performance issues I've been seeing. Haven't had enough time with it to yet determine if there's any impact or not.

Regardless, it is highly entertaining to go back and let my inner geek play a little. Perhaps the Homebrew and Linux guys will correct my errors. After they stop laughing, of course!

Thank you for all of this information! I'm going NOOP now.
    using f15c, govnah only shows 1 CPU at 1.7ghz. Is it still using both cores and just not reporting the second core?
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    using f15c, govnah only shows 1 CPU at 1.7ghz. Is it still using both cores and just not reporting the second core?
    Thats normal. 2nd core shuts off when idle.
    Live free or DIE!
    even when running multiple programs can't get cpu2 to show anything other than 0mhz
    even when running multiple programs can't get cpu2 to show anything other than 0mhz
    ok
    Live free or DIE!
    how did you get f15c to show up in govnah at 1.7ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Thats normal. 2nd core shuts off when idle.
    it's about time you let someone know this
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    i'm seeing the same thing. and when i click on cpu2, the frequency graph is blank...no graph on it.
    like I said in another thread, go to the cli,enable the 2nd core,and watch it come and go according to system load. Having this CPU graph in govnah is a mistake since people think its not working. Like my tweet today said, I'll make both cores run fulltime and never shutoff, then watch all the complaints about battery life fly in.
    Live free or DIE!
    prekoki likes this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I guess people haven't kept up on the f15b/c thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    What exactly does the unset CFQ IO scheduler patch do?

And what's the TCP congestion?
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Having this CPU graph in govnah is a mistake since people think its not working. Like my tweet today said, I'll make both cores run fulltime and never shutoff, then watch all the complaints about battery life fly in.
    nononononooooo... puh-leeeeeez, no. I've <seen> cpu2 come to life; I just have to push things hard enough to warrant it. (Which was quite entertaining in and of itself...) Most people don't push the Touchpad to the point where it's actually needed. Some of us do, esp. that want this to become useful in the business world will <need> this, as the ecosystem comes together. I actually really appreciate that it'll slow down and disable a core if the workload doesn't require it. IMHO, that's elegant programming.
    To discount any programming issue, we will need to extract the governor settings for the second core from your device.

You should post the output from the "Generate Email" option in the help scene for a start, and be prepared to run other Linux commands later if needed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    it's about time you let someone know this
    Sorry, mate, but it's not our responsibility to educate folks about power saving mechanisms in Snapdragon processors.

Marco has posted this many times in this and other threads - if you're using a kernel from the testing feed you have explicitly agreed in the 6 rules to read everything in those threads.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    I guess people haven't kept up on the f15b/c thread..
    And such people are not adhering to the explicit obligations that they agreed to when they added the testing feeds.

-- Rod
    my bad, just read several other threads you post in and it seems my question had been asked a billion times.

running 1.7 most of today, no crashes totally stable. Only issue is the WiFi hang but I got that with uber and stock kernels as well.

have had touchpad 2 days, pretty impressed. Was expecting half baked product, but other than the WiFi issue and lack of document edit/netflix, I am quite impressed.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Sorry, mate, but it's not our responsibility to educate folks about power saving mechanisms in Snapdragon processors.

Marco has posted this many times in this and other threads - if you're using a kernel from the testing feed you have explicitly agreed in the 6 rules to read everything in those threads.

-- Rod
    Rod -- this was sarcasm -- sorry it did not translate well to this page -- i have watched him post over and over about this and thought a little levity was required -- my apologies that my post was not understood as intended
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    Rod -- this was sarcasm -- sorry it did not translate well to this page -- i have watched him post over and over about this and thought a little levity was required -- my apologies that my post was not understood as intended
    Ah, fair enough, I completely missed it.

-- Rod
    oceanrealm likes this.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast