Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hi all - I have a Touchpad that I am trying out from a friend, but they neglected to include the charger. I tried plugging into my USB port on my PC, as well as use my Pre charger (the cylindrical one that came with the original Pre).

How come neither of them work? Am I sitting on a dead Touchpad until I can get the charger?
    USB from a PC delivers 0.5A
    The Pre charger delivers 1.0A
    The Touchpad charger delivers 2.0A.

The Pre charger should work, even though it's not giving the icon. It'll just take a longer time.
    Pretty much. The TP's charger is much bigger and a USB port does not have enough juice to power the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mejifair View Post
    Hi all - I have a Touchpad that I am trying out from a friend, but they neglected to include the charger. I tried plugging into my USB port on my PC, as well as use my Pre charger (the cylindrical one that came with the original Pre).

How come neither of them work? Am I sitting on a dead Touchpad until I can get the charger?
    Yea pretty much. You need a Touchpad adapter for the wall socket. It's uses a 2amp charger and the one for the Pre is only 1amp so it won't provide the power needed to charge the TP.
    If you're using a standard 1.0A Palm wall charger (e.g. the ones for the Veer, Pre, pixi, etc...) it will charge your TP just fine. It will give you the "not enough voltage" warning, but if you check your battery level it will increase over time. Keep in mind this IS slower than using the included 2.0A adapter though.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Good to know!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I left my charger at work accidentally one weekend and had to use my pre charger. It charged best when I powered the TouchPad off. It still took longer, but charged much better than when the TouchPad was on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Yea pretty much. You need a Touchpad adapter for the wall socket. It's uses a 2amp charger and the one for the Pre is only 1amp so it won't provide the power needed to charge the TP.
    Even a 0.5amp charger will charge the TP but VERY slowly and only if the screen is off. At 1.0 amp (Pre 2 charger) it will charge relatively well, but if you are watching a movie or other high demand application, you will likely draw more power than the charger is supplying.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Here's how I look at it.

PC/USB 0.5 amp = Charge with screen off slowly (25%). With screen on, battery will discharge.
    Palm Pre charger 1 amp = Charge with screen off moderately (50%). With screen on battery, will stay at level.
    TouchPad charger 2 amp = Charge with screen off normal (100%). With screen on, battery will gain charge at slightly slower than normal rate.
    This is off topic (dodging the bullets that are now flying at me), but how long does it take for the TouchPad to boot up from a cold start? Since it isn't a phone, I wondered if it was better than my terrible 6+ minutes on my Pre+ on Verizon.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

There are several 2 Amp USB charger adapters available. Just google it for a source near you.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  12. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Yep, deffo charges from the Pre charger
    I <3 my Gigabyte motherboard with quick charge enabled USB2.0 ports. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    This is off topic (dodging the bullets that are now flying at me), but how long does it take for the TouchPad to boot up from a cold start? Since it isn't a phone, I wondered if it was better than my terrible 6+ minutes on my Pre+ on Verizon.
    In my experience. TP and Veer boot much faster than my 1.4.5 original Pre.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    In my experience. TP and Veer boot much faster than my 1.4.5 original Pre.
    Cool...cool...

When you say 'much faster'...would you say in 2 minutes? Or maybe 3 minutes? Or... _________ [fill in the blank ]
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Cool...cool...

When you say 'much faster'...would you say in 2 minutes? Or maybe 3 minutes? Or... _________ [fill in the blank ]
    I'd say probably a minute and a half on a device fully loaded with apps. On the Pre, the more apps you install, the slower boot gets. It's probably 7 or 8 minutes now for me to reboot my Pre 2.

The Touchpad also transfers files in USB mode much faster. Filling up the Touchpad with music happens at a reasonable rate, not the ridiculously slow speed of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Well - I tried every USB charger that I have at home, and none of them charged the Touchpad one bit. I left the Pre charger on for a couple of hours with no charge. I think something might be wrong with the Touchpad itself!
    Cool...cool...

From a full power down, under 2 minutes on the Veer. Haven't done a full power down on the touchpad lately...
    What about the reverse - is it dangerous to charge the Pre with the Touchpad charger?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Here's how I look at it.

PC/USB 0.5 amp = Charge with screen off slowly (25%). With screen on, battery will discharge.
    Palm Pre charger 1 amp = Charge with screen off moderately (50%). With screen on battery, will stay at level.
    TouchPad charger 2 amp = Charge with screen off normal (100%). With screen on, battery will gain charge at slightly slower than normal rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymutt View Post
    What about the reverse - is it dangerous to charge the Pre with the Touchpad charger?

Thanks
    Pre (or other phone) will charge fine with the 2 amp charger.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast