Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    If you guys haven't noticed, the supplied Touchpad charger, with the bigger AC to DC adapter, say the output is 5.3 volts as well. Has anyone else noticed this? The regular Palm Pre charger says 5 volts. I'm sure it's safe to charge in any USB port being that once you plug into your computer, you have the option to charge, and we all know the difference in voltage and amperage on a USB port for a computer. You can even charge on your DVR player, PS3, anything with USB as it provides 5 volts, but the amperage is where the difference will be. Trickle charging will inevitably be the case when you charge anywhere but the Palm charger.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    There is a "Y" adapter for USB that plugs into 2 USB ports on the computer and gives you one output for HP USB cord. It will give you greater voltage output and charge like 1a pre charger. The adapter was used for years with portable computer CD drives that needed the higher power. And best of all it cost a heck of a lot less than a wall charger.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 08/24/2011 at 08:49 AM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    If you guys haven't noticed, the supplied Touchpad charger, with the bigger AC to DC adapter, say the output is 5.3 volts as well. Has anyone else noticed this? The regular Palm Pre charger says 5 volts. I'm sure it's safe to charge in any USB port being that once you plug into your computer, you have the option to charge, and we all know the difference in voltage and amperage on a USB port for a computer. You can even charge on your DVR player, PS3, anything with USB as it provides 5 volts, but the amperage is where the difference will be. Trickle charging will inevitably be the case when you charge anywhere but the Palm charger.
    I AM WRONG!!!! The Touchpad WILL NOT CHARGE IN A COMPUTERS USB PORT!!! And now, when I tried to charge with the Palm Pre charger, I got a message saying the the Touchpad may not charge, so it looks like the 5.3 volt adapter is the only way to charge the TP. Anyone else confirm this??
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymutt View Post
    What about the reverse - is it dangerous to charge the Pre with the Touchpad charger?

Thanks
    I would not recommend that for now until you get a positive answer. Remember, the Pre charger is 5volts, the TP charger is 5.3volts. The voltage is where you can have the problem. The amperage rating is just a rating that shows the max available. The higher the amperage, the faster the charge, but if you have higher volts, you could do damage to the Pre.

For now, it seems best to just use the TP charger for the TP, and the Pre charger for the Pre. Also the Pre will allow trickle charging via computer USB, whereas the TP will not.

Right now, I plugged the TP into the Pre charger, and although the message came up saying that it may not charge, I'm going to see what happens in an hour to see if the battery charge increases on the TP. But don't do the reverse. Don't plug the TP charger into the Pre. I have a feeling that the 5.3 volts will possibly do some damage to the Pre. The 0.3 difference would most likely not cause any problems to the Pre, but its not worth it, especially if you can trickle charge or if you have the original Palm charger, or any other charger that outputs 5volts with the micro USB, which I've used before many times for the Pre when I was at my brothers house.
    Well, what do you know! The Palm Pre charger is charging the TP as we speak (or write). In just 3 minutes, the TP has gone from 64% charge to 67%. Good to know. And the TP is connected to a WIFI signal also. Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I AM WRONG!!!! The Touchpad WILL NOT CHARGE IN A COMPUTERS USB PORT!!! And now, when I tried to charge with the Palm Pre charger, I got a message saying the the Touchpad may not charge, so it looks like the 5.3 volt adapter is the only way to charge the TP. Anyone else confirm this??
    I left my plug adapter at work last night and plugged my touchpad into my old (2005) macbook pro's usb port and had a fully charged TP by morning. It never said it was charging but it was.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    As for what I could see, both the iPad 2's 10w Wall Charger and the TouchPad's 10w Wall Charger won't output 2A to devices other than the one's they came for. I'll continue to test this in my home this afternoon but I see no difference in charging my EVO 3D with the iPad 2 adapter. And the iPad 2 adapter won't charge the TouchPad at 2A. Will only limit itself to 1A. This can be noticed by watching the current graph on Govnah.
    i'd recommend a touchstone for ur phone, their 5$ on amazon right now, and they charge ALOT faster on touchstones then when i plug it in altho i haven't plugged my pre2 into anything.....ever? ...wait thats a lie i had to connect it for webOSqi and preware that one time.

Also keep an eye on the touchstone for the touchpad i'm sure those will go on sale soon also.
    5V v's 5.3V is not significant and the amperage is the maximum that can be supplied. The current drawn is determined by the device being charged. You can use the TP charger for any 5V micro USB device. If you want to charge a TP with a lesser charger you need to reduce the current drawn. Minimum is obviously when shut down.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    i just got mine yesterday and the power cord didnt work. i think it has something to do with the oval brick. i bought a touchstone and that worked fine. i would love it if the other cable worked too. is there a fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    This is off topic (dodging the bullets that are now flying at me), but how long does it take for the TouchPad to boot up from a cold start? Since it isn't a phone, I wondered if it was better than my terrible 6+ minutes on my Pre+ on Verizon.
    ...so why not start a new thread rather than hijacking this one? Your question may be of interest to others, but they likely won't see it because your question is off-topic to the thread's title. A little common "netiquette" goes a long way...
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    i just got mine yesterday and the power cord didnt work. i think it has something to do with the oval brick. i bought a touchstone and that worked fine. i would love it if the other cable worked too. is there a fix?
    The standard wall charger/usb adapter (oval brick as you mention) actually can seperate into two parts, I think so that you can add an international adapter etc. Anyways, make sure that the two pieces are properly "screwed together." You can twist it off and back on.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miXwui View Post
    The standard wall charger/usb adapter (oval brick as you mention) actually can seperate into two parts, I think so that you can add an international adapter etc. Anyways, make sure that the two pieces are properly "screwed together." You can twist it off and back on.
    yeah i tried that for about 20 minutes. even adjusted the metal pieces inside. it didnt work. the "oval" part of my touchstone works fine though. oh well i guess ill just have to keep swapping if i dont feel like using the touchstone. you think HP will send me a new one? HAH kidding
    Walmart has the TP standard charger for $11. They are listed online only at this price but bring in a printout of the TP standard charge on the walmart.com website and the manager on duty will price match the charger for you. This is atypical for Walmart but they understand the Touchpad items across the board are being discontinued.

Hope this helps because you don't want to have to be hunting around for another charger 3 months from now if you misplace your included TP charger.

Cheers!
    yeah i tried that for about 20 minutes. even adjusted the metal pieces inside. it didnt work. the "oval" part of my touchstone works fine though. oh well i guess ill just have to keep swapping if i dont feel like using the touchstone. you think HP will send me a new one? HAH kidding
    LOL wait do we have warranties on the firesaled TouchPads..or should we just pray that everything we now buy from HP isn't broken

Have you tried taking the "oval" part of the touchstone and mixing it with the broken one that came with you TouchPad? That way you can maybe better figure out which part is broken. Not that it matter too much...since if half of your charger is broken..you're not going to be able to use it anyways I guess haha
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    If you lose, forget to pack, or break your charger the kindle charger will work. The cables are interchangeable. It only outputs 4.9V, 0.85A so you will get a "low voltage device may not charge warning".
    You have a warranty, get on chat on your TouchPad spend 5 to 10 minutes with the chat person they will confirm serial number and contact info, they will then overnight you the AC Adapter. I did this a few weeks ago (still haven't tested the new one yet).

Quote Originally Posted by miXwui View Post
    LOL wait do we have warranties on the firesaled TouchPads..or should we just pray that everything we now buy from HP isn't broken

Have you tried taking the "oval" part of the touchstone and mixing it with the broken one that came with you TouchPad? That way you can maybe better figure out which part is broken. Not that it matter too much...since if half of your charger is broken..you're not going to be able to use it anyways I guess haha
    Standard 1 year warranty on devices and all accessories from HP.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorx View Post
    As for what I could see, both the iPad 2's 10w Wall Charger and the TouchPad's 10w Wall Charger won't output 2A to devices other than the one's they came for. I'll continue to test this in my home this afternoon but I see no difference in charging my EVO 3D with the iPad 2 adapter. And the iPad 2 adapter won't charge the TouchPad at 2A. Will only limit itself to 1A. This can be noticed by watching the current graph on Govnah.
    Actually the chargers do not have actively do anything to limit the current (amps), that's just how electric works. The amp rating on a charger just determines the maximum that it can provide, the device connected to the charger will draw as much as it needs up to the limit of the charger.

The iPad2 charger won't charge the TP at 2A not because the charger is limiting the current, but probably because the TP doesn't recognize the charger as one that can provide 2A so it won't draw 2A.

I encountered the same problem when trying to get a generic 1A car charger to work with a phone Touchstone, to make it work I had modify the charger. By connecting the data wires of the usb connector to the power wire, I was able to get the touchstone (and the phone) to recognize it as a 1A charger. It's probably something similar with the TP charger.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    The connecting of the 2 wires has to do with the charger itself not being quick charge compliant, in the case above. The charger wasn't wired to send the proper signal to let the TouchStone know it was quick charge compliant. If the TS doesn't see this, it will not turn on.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=OldSkoolVWLover;3105771]You have a warranty, get on chat on your TouchPad /QUOTE]

On chat? Im lost lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast