Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The launcher desperately needs the search bar to remain, or at least have an icon next to the categories to bring up Just Type. I don't know how many times I've gone to the launcher out of habit, and then decided I wanted to do a search but you have to close the launcher and type to do that.
    Yes, yes! I did that too, because on the WebOS phones, you can bring up the launcher and still just type to get what you were after. On the phones, the keyboard overrides what's up on the screen which is very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post

My TouchPad does Google search, doesn't your's???

To be more clear, Android tablets don't have a name for their "just type" like functionality but call their devices "xxx with google".

Palm was first to the game with this because it made sense. Android copied it but it never worked as well because all of Palm's phones always had an easily accessible keyboard that you just typed on to override the screen when you were not in an application.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Coming from a phone where there is a sweet physical keyboard, "just type" "just works". When I tried the Touchpad, I spent some time swiping and typing all over the place to bring up "just type" that I'm used to doing on a phone then I noticed... you have to click in the "just type" bar to bring up the keyboard.

Are there other ways or a better way of doing this?

What then, makes this experience on the Touchpad different from a tablet with Google search?
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    good point. although it was never "just type" even on the phone, right? you still gotta flip open the keyboard.

tapping on the "just type" field is a little annoying to me as well...needs more accuracy that just flipping open the keyboard. i would've gone with the gesture to bring the "just type" form and the keyboard. a gesture that's system-wide and can't be overridden by an app. because right now, if i'm working on an app, i think i have to go to card view first, then tap the text field, THEN just type. a quick gesture would've been much more efficient.
    It was always "just type" on my wife's Pixi. No need to nitpick on having to gain acces to the keyboard. It's still the fastest way to launch or find things.
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    Coming from a phone where there is a sweet physical keyboard, "just type" "just works". When I tried the Touchpad, I spent some time swiping and typing all over the place to bring up "just type" that I'm used to doing on a phone then I noticed... you have to click in the "just type" bar to bring up the keyboard.

What then, makes this experience on the Touchpad different from a tablet with Google search?
    I do not own a TouchPad, but I imagine you could purchase a keyboard and begin by just typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
    I do not own a TouchPad, but I imagine you could purchase a keyboard and begin by just typing.
    That right there is the winning answer.

Although if you let your keyboard sit too long, then you have to re-pair it. Not a bad feature if you're like me and forget to turn it off all the time, although customization of idle time before turning off would be nice.
    I wouldn't mind a patch to add a virtual keyboard icon that I could add to my quick launch bar...but then just typing would have to trigger the just type to make it work in a perfect world.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    on the Touchpad typing=tapping and tapping=typing

on the Pre2 I sometimes tap just type to re-search for things without opening the keyboard.
    It works when you add the bluetooth keyboard - but I agree.

I think there should be a 'just type' gesture in the lower half of the screen, say a diagonal swipe from bottom right or bottom left to bring up the just type keyboard and screen without having to pass your hand to the top of the screen.

it is just type.

No matter what you use (laptop, desktop, tablet, cell phone) you always select the field you want to type in.

how is it different from google search?

can you tweet from a google search?
    can you email from a google search?
    can you text from a google search?
    can you update facebook from a google search?
    can you view your contacts from a google search?

thats what i thought
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    For now... The best features will be copied.

And you might want to scratch 'find a contact' off yourlist.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It was always "just type" on my wife's Pixi. No need to nitpick on having to gain acces to the keyboard. It's still the fastest way to launch or find things.
    Right, I should have noted I'm coming from a Pixi where the keyboard is "always on"

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    it is just type.

No matter what you use (laptop, desktop, tablet, cell phone) you always select the field you want to type in.
    On the Pixi and the Pre you don't have to select a field to "just-type". On the Pixi, just start typing. On the Pre, just open the keyboard and start typing. On the Touchpad, find your field, click and start typing. That is different behavior than WebOS prior and is the same as having to click into google search to search an app, search for a contact, or search the web on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by lakefire View Post

I have colleagues that have added keyboards and cases to tether them to their iPads. I'm thinking, why not just get a netbook? But if HP could engineer either a physical or virtual way to differentiate "just type" from "google search" on the tablet without add-ons, it would be far-sighted.
    Last edited by libray; 08/02/2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: can't spell
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    how about a patch that brings up the just type and keyboard by swiping down from the top. (kinda like the reverse "advanced gesture") although then it would have to be called "just swipe and type"
    How about a dedicated Just Type hardware button on the side of the TP?
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I wouldn't mind a patch to add a virtual keyboard icon that I could add to my quick launch bar...but then just typing would have to trigger the just type to make it work in a perfect world.
    ? That would be exactly the same as it is now, but would just work with you tapping on a different part of the screen to bring up the keyboard...
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)

you can't be serious.
    The launcher desperately needs the search bar to remain, or at least have an icon next to the categories to bring up Just Type. I don't know how many times I've gone to the launcher out of habit, and then decided I wanted to do a search but you have to close the launcher and type to do that.

My TouchPad does Google search, doesn't your's???
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...st-thread.html

Even better

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Hardbeatz

Just so you know this post was made originally by me asking the question if there was a better way to use just type on the Touchpad or was I missing something. Something got screwed up in the forum database and took my response that I made after jhoff80 and timestamped that post 6 hours earlier.

But you and any WebOS user has to admit, there are some good suggestions in this thread.

Mods should notice that there is no "last edited by library" on the first post where I quoted but yet the timestamp makes it look like I quoted jhoff80 and Orion Antares from the future and 4 hours before I made the initial thread!