Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Now that we have the ability to save a picture as a wallpaper from the photo app, what size does the picture have to be in order to display as full screen, as do the built in wallpapers?
    I am guessing 1024 by 768 pixels
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Really, it can be most any size but the larger the image, the clearer and sharper it will look. As long as you are using an image that resides on your device you should be fine.

But if you are trying to use a picture that resides on a cloud service like Photobucket or Snapfish, you will either have to take a screenshot of it and use that screenshot as the wallpaper, or move a copy of the pic to the device. For some reason, currently if you try and set a picture that resides on one of those cloud storage services as your wallpaper, it will not scale correctly and you will end up with a small image surrounded by a large gray area.
    1024x1024 is the best at the moment. Pictures displayed as wallpaper will be zoomed if they're smaller than 1024 pixels.

In other words, if you use wallpaper that is 1024x768, then in one orientation your wallpaper will be clear, but in the other it'll be blurry.

1024x1024 will crop the top and bottom in landscape, and the sides in portrait, so just make sure that whatever you choose, that the main part of it is in the center.

I've found great stuff using InterfaceLift HD, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyDaddy View Post
    Now that we have the ability to save a picture as a wallpaper from the photo app, what size does the picture have to be in order to display as full screen, as do the built in wallpapers?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    1024x1024 is the best at the moment. Pictures displayed as wallpaper will be zoomed if they're smaller than 1024 pixels.

In other words, if you use wallpaper that is 1024x768, then in one orientation your wallpaper will be clear, but in the other it'll be blurry.

1024x1024 will crop the top and bottom in landscape, and the sides in portrait, so just make sure that whatever you choose, that the main part of it is in the center.

I've found great stuff using InterfaceLift HD, personally.
    This gets asked quite a lot, doesn't it? Here's my stock answer:

1024x1024 gives you a cropped photo in both orientations. 1024x768 will give you a pixel-for-pixel full screen photo in the landscape, but it will be zoomed to the middle, so you'll only see the middle half (nearly a quarter will be cut off on each side). 768x1024 will give you a pixel-for-pixel full screen photo in the portrait, but when rotated to landscape, you'll only see the middle half. If you always want to see your full photo, you'll need to go to 768x768, but then you'll always have gray bars on either the sides or the top & bottom.

Pictures are only zoomed under certain conditions (when the dimensions are greater than or equal to 1024x768). Otherwise they are just rotated and displayed at the direct pixel-for-pixel resolution. Maybe I should post the set of sized photos I created to determine the exact behavior?