webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Email in Plain Text [Patch Request]
Email in Plain Text [Patch Request]
Like Tree8Likes

Old 08/02/2011, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone know if there is a way to send email in Plain Text mode instead of HTML? My company uses a GroupWise system with the related Mobility sync product and any of my emails that go outside of the company show up with a blank message body, but internal messages send just fine. In my sent items from my mail client I noticed that my messages from the TP are going out as HTML, and I'm wondering if I can find a way to change those to Plain Text if it would solve my empty message problems. Thanks!
beerdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, MonkeyPad and touchpaddled like this.
Thanked by Mize, Rnp, touchpaddled
Old 08/02/2011, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rnp

Great! I need this too, because my yahoogroups cannot accept mails in HTML...

Just need to insert button: format to HTML or Text.

Best Regards...
Liked by touchpaddled likes this.
Old 10/23/2011, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am having the same issue with GroupWise 8.02HP3 and the Mobility Connector (which I have fully patched up through patches released just last week).

Emails sent from the Touchpad to internal users within my company work fine. Emails sent outside the company are delivered with a mess of encoding wrapped around the text (under prior Mobility versions previously they were just blank).

Emails sent to outsiders through this same Mobility connector from my Pre- are just fine.
PeterMacSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agree, would love to see plain text option.
jdlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2011, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

+1 Just found out a listsrv subscription service I use hates my touchpad emails. :'(
touchpaddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

+1 Squirrelmail webmail is my desktop email interface and WebOS 2.x and 3.x messages require opening the html attachment. I hope that someone can make patches for both now that I finally moved my Sprint commboard to a Pre2
bbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2012, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to send email in Plain Text mode instead of HTML? My company uses a GroupWise system with the related Mobility sync product and any of my emails that go outside of the company show up with a blank message body, but internal messages send just fine. In my sent items from my mail client I noticed that my messages from the TP are going out as HTML, and I'm wondering if I can find a way to change those to Plain Text if it would solve my empty message problems. Thanks!
My patch has been accepted by webos-internals and is now available in Preware.
"Include Plain Text Alternate"

It basically returns the WebOS 1.4.5 email behavior to 3.0.5. It is not extensively tested, but it fulfills my needs and I've been using it for a couple of weeks with no ill effects. I think a change in the mechanism for signature insertion in WebOS 2.x broke the plain text generation in that version and so they commented-out the code to make the 'text/plain' alternate. I spent a lot of time trying to get plain text working nicely in 2.2.4 ever since I moved my Sprint comm board to a Pre2 two and a half weeks ago (Sept. 2012) but haven't been able to get anything more than an embarrassingly ugly hack that includes hard-coding my signature into the patch.

So, to keep a long story long ;-) - at some point I took a break from tearing my hair out working on 2.2.4 email to see what was going on in 3.0.5. Lo and behold, it seemed that they had everything in place to support a 'text/plain' alternate and probably just ran out of testing time so they never 'turned it back on'. This patch uses similar string manipulations to those in 1.4.5 to strip tags and decode html entities and then slaps that string into a regular 'text/plain' alternate hunk for the smtp service. This will produce multi-part emails like 1.4.5 and should not effect the currently generated 'text/html' hunk. It has been tested only on the squirrelmail imap service I use for 95% of my email.

All the usual disclaimers apply - no warranty made or implied, this could possibly mess up your email, use at your own risk, etc. and additionally, I'm a small business owner that clocks about 70 hours a week on things that have nothing to do with developing/coding, I am not looking for feature requests for this patch! I find it very useful and have released it to the community since others have expressed interest. If someone wants to take this work and make a patch that adds a GUI so a user can choose to generate only 'text/plain' or only 'text/html' I welcome it, and will help if I can, but I have no plans to work on such a thing and very limited time for coding projects.

On the other hand, if anyone has made any progress on similar functionality for 2.2.4 please post here or PM me to see if we can get anywhere with our phones.

The patch is in the Preware email category: "Include Plain Text Alternate"

I made a companion patch to the browser that makes the Browser's 'Share via email' work better for text/plain by making the email subject the page title and the body of the email is populated with the page title and the URL separated by a line break. No obscure hyperlinked or canned text.
The Browser patch is named: "More transparent share link"
[PATCH] More transparent share link
-Go WebOS!

Last edited by bbito; 09/22/2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Add a link for browser patch
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by PeterMacSF, Rnp
Old 09/21/2012, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rnp

Wow!! Great!!

You got a Beta Tester!

Thank you, man!

Best Regards...
Old 09/21/2012, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Wow!! Great!!

You got a Beta Tester!

Thank you, man!

Best Regards...
I hope it works as well for you as it has for me! If you hate the "Check out this web page" text when sharing from the browser as much as I did (seems creepy/spammy to me), install my Browser patch too. I forgot to mention above that it also forgoes inserting that page thumbnail PNG file, With the email patch installed, shared link emails will only show one attachment (the text/html hunk) when opening in my squirrelmail webmail interface.
. Go WebOS!
Old 09/21/2012, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMacSF View Post
I am having the same issue with GroupWise 8.02HP3 and the Mobility Connector (which I have fully patched up through patches released just last week).

Emails sent from the Touchpad to internal users within my company work fine. Emails sent outside the company are delivered with a mess of encoding wrapped around the text (under prior Mobility versions previously they were just blank).

Emails sent to outsiders through this same Mobility connector from my Pre- are just fine.
Hi Peter, I'd be curious to know if my patch : "Include Plain Text Alternate" fixes your problem. It should, since you mention that the messages from your Pre- worked. The multi-part messages created by this patch closely match what was produced by the WebOS 1.4.5 email app. It is available in Preware.
Old 09/22/2012, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm not seeing this patch or the "more transparent share" patch in preware after updating my feeds.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
I'm not seeing this patch or the "more transparent share" patch in preware after updating my feeds.
It's unfortunate that you're having trouble getting these patches. Perhaps you're running WebOS version that isn't supported by these patches. The "Include plain text alternate" patch is 3.0.5 only and has been available in Preware feed since 9/21/12 in the Email section. The 3.0.5 version of "More transparent share link" came through on the same day I think and the 2.2.4 version of it came through late on 9/22/12 this patch modifies a browser file and is in the browser catagory. Here's the official thread for the 'share link' patch:
[PATCH] More transparent share link
-hth
--bbito

Last edited by bbito; 09/25/2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add category info
Old 01/22/2013, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

bbito
Is it possible to install your patch "Include Plain Text Alternate" on HP Veer with WebOS 2.1?
Old 01/22/2013, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shura View Post
bbito
Is it possible to install your patch "Include Plain Text Alternate" on HP Veer with WebOS 2.1?
Hi Shura, Unfortunately the code is very different in 3.x and 2.x and I haven't been able to make a releasable 2.x patch, see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbito View Post
... I think a change in the mechanism for signature insertion in WebOS 2.x broke the plain text generation in that version and so they commented-out the code to make the 'text/plain' alternate. I spent a lot of time trying to get plain text working nicely in 2.2.4 ever since I moved my Sprint comm board to a Pre2 two and a half weeks ago (Sept. 2012) but haven't been able to get anything more than an embarrassingly ugly hack that includes hard-coding my signature into the patch.
-Go WebOS!
Old 01/23/2013, 02:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sad.

Thank you.
Old 12/15/2013, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Here used to be patch for 2.2.4... read next page to find improved one...
Attached Files
File Type: patch plaintext.patch (846 Bytes, 16 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by artxxork; 03/05/2014 at 04:17 PM.
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by bbito, LewisR, Rnp
Old 12/15/2013, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
Here is patch for 2.2.4:

Code:
--- orig/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js	2013-12-15 23:36:25.816249741 +0100
+++ patched/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js	2013-12-15 23:36:25.836249740 +0100
@@ -1073,7 +1073,7 @@

this.composition.setSerializedParams(params);
 	Mojo.Log.info("Sending email");
-	
+    this.composition.email.parts.push({ type: "body", mimeType: "text/plain", content:(this.bodyElement.innerHTML + this.forwardElement.innerHTML).replace(/(<br>|<p>)/g, '\n').replace(/<\/?[^>]+>/gi, '').replace(/&nbsp;/g,' ').replace(/&gt;/g, '>').replace(/&lt;/g, '<').replace(/&amp;/g, '&')});
 	// Try to send the email.  send() does some validation, and returns false on failure (after calling through to the onFailure handler).
 	if (this.composition.send(successFunction)) {
Great! I have been wanting this for a long time ... thank you very much!
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/02/2014, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
Here is patch for 2.2.4:
Hi,
Thanks for the patch, however I'm not sure how to install?
If I email it to my phone and try Internals I get the error:
-----
Patch installation failed
AUSMT is missing. It is required for patching.
-----
Must it be installed with webOSQI?
Old 03/02/2014, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbito View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the patch, however I'm not sure how to install?
If I email it to my phone and try Internals I get the error:
-----
Patch installation failed
AUSMT is missing. It is required for patching.
-----
Must it be installed with webOSQI?
Simple solution: you just need to install the AUSMT scripts using Preware or WOSQI before you install patch files using Internalz.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/02/2014 at 08:06 PM.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bbito
Old 03/02/2014, 08:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

I would love to see a patch: email open to all inboxes
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0