Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    So someone who has the knowledge to check, can they see if 3.0.2 brings hardware acceleration?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    So someone who has the knowledge to check, can they see if 3.0.2 brings hardware acceleration?
    A large majority of 3.0 was already hardware accelerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A large majority of 3.0 was already hardware accelerated.
    You may want to enlighten Richard Kerris then:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rd-kerris.html

Performance-wise, I'm quite disappointed at this update. Hopefully the x.0.2 version number is just a sign that more robust updates are afoot.
    Nothing from a pure performance point of view suggests that there is any new hardware acceleration in 3.0.2.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    personally, this is the only improvement I care about. is the touchpad even technically capable of "iOS-style" navigation?
    carman16 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You may want to enlighten Richard Kerris then:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rd-kerris.html

Performance-wise, I'm quite disappointed at this update. Hopefully the x.0.2 version number is just a sign that more robust updates are afoot.
    Kerris apparently doesn't listen to his in-house developers (this isn't a shock, really). Looking back on some of the original enyo developer videos, they specifically state enyo apps are hardware accelerated. In fact, they go on to say that a lot of the transitions like sliding the multiple panels (they used the email app as an example) aren't possible in software only rendering.

EDIT: I suppose its possible that not ALL of the UI elements are hardware accelerated (specifically CSS) but definitely some are already baked in.
    From the system log:
    2011-08-02T02:26:10.443713Z [1025] webos-device user.debug LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgr}: virtual bool PGLES2Context::initialize(Palm::WebView*, Palm::WebGLES2Context*) called
    2011-08-02T02:26:10.444097Z [1025] webos-device user.debug LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgr}: virtual bool PGLES2ContextTextureShared::renderOnScreen() called
    GLES2Context would be OpenGL ES 2. To what degree is it using open gl and hardware accel I do not know. But it's clearly not rendering in software.
  8.    #8  
    I thought Kerris said webOS 3.02 will bring hardware acceleration.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    From the system log:

GLES2Context would be OpenGL ES 2. To what degree is it using open gl and hardware accel I do not know. But it's clearly not rendering in software.
    what does your comment mean? Dont understand so technical stuff, please dumb down.
    what does your comment mean? Dont understand so technical stuff, please dumb down.
    Durp OpenGL makes stuff run faster Herp Derp Derp
    acaplinger likes this.
    He meant some of the items aren't being rendered in software, i.e. some actions are hardware related.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Has anyone tried Microsoft's HTML5 speed demos? Microsoft put a lot of emphasis on hardware accelerated graphics.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Durp OpenGL makes stuff run faster Herp Derp Derp
    I guess this was not there before 3.02?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Webos isn't capable of being as swift as android and ios. I am not a developer but I read it has something to do with the code not being native or something like that. As a result we have to wait for things to load while things happen instantly on other platforms. Webos shouldn't be performing slower than a pc when the apps are so small. I think that's what is really killing the platform. It is so slow.
    augustofretes likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Webos isn't capable of being as swift as android and ios. I am not a developer but I read it has something to do with the code not being native or something like that. As a result we have to wait for things to load while things happen instantly on other platforms. Webos shouldn't be performing slower than a pc when the apps are so small. I think that's what is really killing the platform. It is so slow.
    I'm no engineer but if that's true then that really sucks. There's only so much optimization they can do. For a platform that's built for mobile devices this seems like a huge problem.

Anyone else with knowledge can comment on this?
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    That's not true. What you are talking about is the speed at which apps can open. That is a different topic. Hardware acceleration has to do with the smoothness of scrolling and navigating around the OS including within apps which is up to the developers to code.
    feltmoney and Rnp like this.
    jamex, you haven't used a modern webOS device have you?
    etx likes this.
    If you think things are happening instantly on other platforms, then apparently you haven't used iOS yet.
    Hmm really? Try an iPad next to a TPad and measure the time that the USER CAN INTERACT with the app. On iOS you get a "frame" for the app instantly but it is "empty" with a spinning "loading" graphic and then you can interact.

On webOS you get the app card while the app is loading in the background, but once the app appears, you can work immediately. You don't get a "spinning" loading icon unless the app pulls from the web. Time to INTERACTION on both is about 1.02 - 1.93 seconds. iOS just "seems" faster but in either case, the user interacts at the same time.

(I am currently testing iPads, Playbook, a GTab10, and Transformer and have been benchmarking for the past week)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Hmm really? Try an iPad next to a TPad and measure the time that the USER CAN INTERACT with the app. On iOS you get a "frame" for the app instantly but it is "empty" with a spinning "loading" graphic and then you can interact.

On webOS you get the app card while the app is loading in the background, but once the app appears, you can work immediately. You don't get a "spinning" loading icon unless the app pulls from the web. Time to INTERACTION on both is about 1.02 - 1.93 seconds. iOS just "seems" faster but in either case, the user interacts at the same time.

(I am currently testing iPads, Playbook, a GTab10, and Transformer and have been benchmarking for the past week)
    That depends. If you're loading an application for the first time, then depending on the app you might be presented with an empty "frame" (however, most end users don't know the difference) for a second or two, but that all depends on the application.

If you're launching an application that is in a saved-state mode, then it is instant and able to interact with immediately upon opening.

Last edited by barkerja; 08/01/2011 at 11:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast