Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 116 of 116
Like Tree56Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I just don't see how they've created a problem. Pages at DO load in the background, they just don't render in the background because it's a waste of resources.

    Likewise the video still plays when minimized, but HP made the smart decision to only render the video when it's active, so that the app that your switching to doesn't have to take a performance hit.

    A simple case of pleasing the masses over the select few who would want a useless feature that hinders performance.
    First of all, you are wrong. The pages DO NOT load in the background, atleast not until you spend atleast a few seconds to see it start loading the page/card. Secondly, I fail to understand what 'wasted' resources some of you keep referring to. How are these resources "wasted"? Even if resources are being used, that is what they are there for, to open and render pages that I want to read. Why is it neccesary to waste my time in waiting for each page/card to load and or render before I can read it? So basically, as I see it, your consider multi-tasking a waste of resources. It's funny how all this sounds so much like Apple's logic for the minimal multi-tasking in iOS. The irony is that they have slowly and slowly bee making their OS more and more capable of multi-tasking, while HP does the opposite. It's also funny, how older webOS hardware had enough resources to multi-task whereas their flagship product now needs to cut down the multi-tasking to save "resources".
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You're assuming it's a "problem" for everyone, but your premise is wrong.
    And you are assuming that it is "not" a problem for many, and that premise too, is wrong.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    First of all, you are wrong. The pages DO NOT load in the background, atleast not until you spend atleast a few seconds to see it start loading the page/card. Secondly, I fail to understand what 'wasted' resources some of you keep referring to. How are these resources "wasted"? Even if resources are being used, that is what they are there for, to open and render pages that I want to read. Why is it neccesary to waste my time in waiting for each page/card to load and or render before I can read it? So basically, as I see it, your consider multi-tasking a waste of resources. It's funny how all this sounds so much like Apple's logic for the minimal multi-tasking in iOS. The irony is that they have slowly and slowly bee making their OS more and more capable of multi-tasking, while HP does the opposite. It's also funny, how older webOS hardware had enough resources to multi-task whereas their flagship product now needs to cut down the multi-tasking to save "resources".
    first of all, I am not wrong. In fact, before starting this reply, I opened a new card and launched webOSroundup up, without waiting. I'll check on it when I'm finished typing this.

    Secondly, the resource is memory. Its a limited resources. Using memory to render objects the user isn't looking at is foolish, because it limits the amount of memory available to the user for the tasks he/she is ACTUALLY USING, Once all of the memory is used up, you'll either see a 'too many cards' error or the background application will have to refresh when you return to it. Both of those occurrences are far more undesirables than the solution HP has provided. While running applications in the background, the application in the foreground should get priority. That's just common sense. That doesn't mean stop the background app (which webOS doesn't) it means reallocate resources to the active app when plausible. Its plausible to remove resources away from rendering something the user can't see...


    thirdly, I don't consider multi-tasking a waste of resources. But it is resource intensive. HP has found a way to use these resources efficiently while making sure the user experience is uninterrupted. HP's approach is the same one used by video game designers. If you wait until objects are in view before drawing them, you can use the resources you've saved improve what is actually on screen. I just don't get why you keep saying HP is moving away from multitasking...

    Update: just as I suspected, WOR was fully loaded, by the time I made this post. The page rendered instantly when I switched. And by the time I returned back from WOR, my post was uploaded. I don't know what's wrong with your touchpad, but this thing multitasks nothing like
    Apple's. I'm not even sure why you brought them up...on webOS, TASKS CONTINUE IN THE BACKGROUND...PERIOD.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 08/04/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    cobrakon likes this.
  4. #104  
    i think it comes down to the few die-hard purests that believe that true multitasking is that anything apps you have running in card view continues to run and you can see it. my need for speed should be running even if i am not playing... that's how it works on my pc right? i like to listen to youtube vids or podcasts of CNBC on smaller windows on my pc while on other windows too.

    mhunterjr... i guess his view of proper multitasking differs from yours and he doesnt understand your point of how if unecessary, then no harm if it helps the with performance but he will never understand it.

    hmm... that sounds very similar to the apple argument of multitasking eh?

    sanjay... you may think it a perfectly good feature that did not need to be lost... but obviously hp thought otherwise. i think the obvious answer is that 'true multitasking' has a price which is probably a huge use or resource... maybe the cause of many bugs or lag issues experienced before. it just sounds like they choose what kind of media gets run in the background now. it multitasks... but just not 100% anymore. they choose very carefully now to give you 99.9% of the experience and almost all wont know the difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    well I'm glad hp focused on performance instead of wasting time implementing features that few would find use for. Maybe they'll implement some sort of preference options in the future, but I'd rather they continue to focus making the various improvements that are NEEDED in order for webOS to gain traction in the mobile space.
    Last edited by donm527; 08/04/2011 at 09:36 PM.
  5. #105  
    webOS prioritizes resources to cards that are minimized. Check out this article Wired.com Explains: How Mobile Multitasking Works | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    donm527 likes this.
  6. #106  
    that's a really cool link. i never knew. thanks.

    i hate android ui... only limited time playing with them but when i do, i wanna give back the device very soon after... but reading that article it sounds like android actually sounds like it actually multitasking the way many believe true multitasking is... by still allowing processes while in the background.

    webos just has a better ui to give a better and smoother show of multitasking but it will suspend process on some apps to some degree like ios does and not allow access certain types of resource like accelerometer data if run in background.

    is that really correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    webOS prioritizes resources to cards that are minimized. Check out this article Wired.com Explains: How Mobile Multitasking Works | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
  7. #107  
    It's really strange, that with all the wonderful mumbo jumbo that HP has been able to achieve by reducing the multi-tasking functionality in webOS 3.0.2, the TouchPad still needs the 1.7 GHz overclock to finally run smoothly. I really might have not be as bothered by this, if only 3.0.2 had actually shown a marked performance improvement. But unfortunately, even that is not the case and in fact, not only am I not alone in feeling that there is no great improvement, if any at all, but there are some I personally know, who feel that the performance has actually degraded. Personally, I will take funtionality over speed any day and I don't need you or anyone else to feel the same, but I for one prefer all cards to not only load, but render fully in the background, ready for me to simply be able to switch to and read.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  8. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i think it comes down to the few die-hard purests that believe that true multitasking is that anything apps you have running in card view continues to run and you can see it. my need for speed should be running even if i am not playing... that's how it works on my pc right? i like to listen to youtube vids or podcasts of CNBC on my pc while on other windows too.

    mhunterjr... i guess his view of proper multitasking differs from yours and he doesnt understand your point of how if unecessary, then no harm if it helps the with performance but he will never understand it.
    It all comes down to pure unadulterated bragging right --- whether it's useful in real life usage at all, it doesn't really matter at all.

    But it has a huge effect on the remaining die-hard webos developers.

    IOS programmers have their money and Android programmers have their open source religion. Microsoft is throwing money left and right to mobile developers.

    The rest of the nuts --- as John Cusack's character in Grosse Pointe Blank said it best, needs some kind of ideology to hang on to (i.e. "taming unchecked aggression"). WebOS developers used to code on it because they believe that their system has the best multitasking performance.

    Now those nuts are going to code on the Playbook. Even though the Playbook native SDK isn't out yet, those nuts are using the QNX desktop PC version to code in native c and jerryrigging their codes to have the highest performing fart apps in the entire mobile world.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i think it comes down to the few die-hard purests that believe that true multitasking is that anything apps you have running in card view continues to run and you can see it. my need for speed should be running even if i am not playing... that's how it works on my pc right? i like to listen to youtube vids or podcasts of CNBC on smaller windows on my pc while on other windows too.

    mhunterjr... i guess his view of proper multitasking differs from yours and he doesnt understand your point of how if unecessary, then no harm if it helps the with performance but he will never understand it.

    hmm... that sounds very similar to the apple argument of multitasking eh?

    sanjay... you may think it a perfectly good feature that did not need to be lost... but obviously hp thought otherwise. i think the obvious answer is that 'true multitasking' has a price which is probably a huge use or resource... maybe the cause of many bugs or lag issues experienced before. it just sounds like they choose what kind of media gets run in the background now. it multitasks... but just not 100% anymore. they choose very carefully now to give you 99.9% of the experience and almost all wont know the difference?
    my problem is that sanjay is suggesting that webOS suspends the loading of webpages when they aren't active, unless I wait before switching applications... But that notion is completely false. I don't think there is a difference in perception. Just one person being mistaken. I intend to post a video of my touchpad doing what he says it is incapable of. My video will show my touchpad simultaneously loading two webpages on a touchpad running webOS3.0.2 with the stock kernel (no over-clocking)

    I just don't like misinformation being spread. A potential new webOS user might be turned away from the product based on comments that aren't factual.

    --> Exhibit A
    --> Exhibit B

    i rest my case... some people complain for the heck of it...
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 08/04/2011 at 11:30 PM.
    hparsons, cobrakon, etx and 2 others like this.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo_sg View Post
    i think the functionality of adding addresses to "Contacts" directly from the mail app should have been resolved.
    LOL, whut?? Tap on ANY address in an email and you will get a popup asking if you want to add to a new contact or existing.

    /smh


    (I swear, you should have to enter a valid TPad serial number before making comments on the device because the FUD on here is so thick you can spread it on a bagel... )
  11. #111  
    Jeer: The "Dismiss" and "Snooze" buttons on the Calendar reminders are reversed on the TP compared to the reminders I get on my Pre Plus. Because I have been trained to push the button on the left (Dismiss on my phone), I am constantly snoozing instead of dismissing the reminders on my TP.
  12. rumz's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #112  
    Jeers: the sound still dies on me, forcing me to reboot to get any audio out of my TouchPad.
  13. #113  
    I have a question. The Touchpad has an Adreno 220 GPU in it. How does it compare to the ipad2 or the Galaxy Tab in games?
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I have a question. The Touchpad has an Adreno 220 GPU in it. How does it compare to the ipad2 or the Galaxy Tab in games?
    I don't think you'll notice a difference here at all. I PDK Apps (which describe most games) run as smooth as butter...
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I have a question. The Touchpad has an Adreno 220 GPU in it. How does it compare to the ipad2 or the Galaxy Tab in games?
    I don't think you'll notice a difference here at all. I PDK Apps (which describe most games) run as smooth as butter...
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    And you are assuming that it is "not" a problem for many, and that premise too, is wrong.
    Quite the contrary, I've acknowledged it's problem for you. I even said these types of things are regular trade-offs in the IT world. My assertion though, is that it's not a problem in need of a fix, or at least a fix that may affect over-all performance negatively.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions