Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Jeers.

It no longer thinks my AppleTV 2 formatted videos belong in the music app, that's better... but videos still do not play. Abysmal h264 support. Hope this gets sorted soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    With your insight, why don't you please explain the logic of why, when you open multiple links in seperate cards, they won't load in the background and will only load when the card is made full screen. Why did HP take this retrograde step from webOS 2.1.0 to webOS 3.0.0 and then let alone fix this issue in webOS 3.0.2, they have actually gone and made it so, that now a youtube video freezes when in card mode? I suppose my statement should have had a 'sarcasm' smilie attached, but then there is no such smilie and in any case I would have thought that it was obvious anyhow.
    you aren't speaking factually, with the update to 3.0.2, websites do continue to load in the background (memory permitting). However, the website isn't rendered until the card is in view, which likely helps with performance. I've just tested it several times...

I launched a web page, the switched to card view and watched it load and render while minimized.

I then launched another web page, switched to another app while it loaded. When returned, it rendered immediately, suggesting it had finished its loading while I was away.

finally, launched two webpages side by side, then switched to card view, and watched them load simultaneously . If that's not multitasking, what is?

I think some people just complain to complain. Or they are so used to it, they don't even check their complaints.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 08/02/2011 at 04:53 PM.
    hparsons, cobrakon, etx and 1 others like this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I still got the sound loss glitch =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I am not an electrical engineer but I assume the touchstone draws more power when it is charging versus when it has fully charged the TP or when no TP is present. Like when you have a standby light on your TV it draws far less power than when the TV is on.
    We're veering totally off topic, but no, that's not the case with a transformer. The draw for power is the same whether it's charging or not.

The "saving power" comments, in regard to portable devices, almost always refers to saving battery power. That's important for portable devices.

Saving a small amount of power while a device is hooked up to a charger is not.

I'll repeat, this was a complaint looking for a reason.

Ironically, I agree with him that a timer would be nice. Not because it would save power, but because I think the Facebook Exhibition Mode is unbelievably cool when I first lay down to call it a night, but I don't need to see it when I wake up for one reason or another at 3am.

However, that wasn't his "reason" for the complaint. It would have been much more valid, but guess in his hurry to dis the upgrade, it didn't occur to him. Even that is really not a strong reason to complain in a general review of an OS. Sort of picky. Like I said, looking for something to complain about.
    cobrakon and hagster like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Not sure what happened but the update made my calendar worse, and increased the lack of syncing between my various google calendars and the TP. The good news is I deleted the google account and reinstalled it and (knock on wood) it is now working as it should. For the first time since buying my TP on launch day all of my 4 google calendars are being displayed on the TP. Knock on wood.
    I'm wondering if this might be related to the SQL database issue (which was fixed in this update).
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    All of the websites that were broken before are still broken (mint, snapfish).
    I'm sure you know this already, but you can add Snapfish as an account for the Photos/Videos app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Wow, that is one insipid "review."

(Edited to put review in quotes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Wow, that is one insipid "review."

(Edited to put review in quotes.)
    As soon as I saw that link from InfoWorld and it said it was bashing webOS, I automatically knew it was Gaylan Greuman's article. He's a notorious Palm basher and Apple humper. Never has accurate information either. I used to email him corrections but I think I will start emailing his EIC instead (if he even cares)

Back OT

As for the update...awesome. Faster, smoother, no random reboots and sipping power now (10.5 hours now and only 86% used ). Web cards DO load in the background and as for the "YouTube" problem, when it is running in the background...(wait for it) you can't SEE the video anyway so why use CPU cycles to render something you can't see? Video games have been using this for ages, no need to render a whole race track when only the curve ahead is visible.

I HIGHLY doubt anyone uses their TPad with the YouTube in a minimized card and another app in a minimized card. You put YouTube in the background to hear the audio, else you be WATCHING the video and not doing something else no? Am I nuts here or what?
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Apologies if this was addressed and I missed it, but is it now safe to delete apps I don't want?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Apologies if this was addressed and I missed it, but is it now safe to delete apps I don't want?
    I haven't seen this addressed either (I've searched). I'd like to know if it's safe to delete apps as well.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Am I missing something here? Why would it not be safe to delete apps?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    No, I don't think you're missing anything. It is perfectly safe to delete an app.
    there was a bug related to deleting apps that accessed a shared database. I believe that was fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Jeers.

no longer thinks my AppleTV 2 formatted videos belong in the music app, that's better... but videos still do not play. Abysmal h264 support. Hope this gets sorted soon.
    wouldn't apple tv files be DRM protected?
    There was a bug in the SQL database system. If certain apps were deleted, and the TouchPad subsequently rebooted, the database lost data for other installed apps.

I'm almost positive it was fixed in this release, though I've not personally verified it, it was talked about by HP.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The "saving power" comments, in regard to portable devices, almost always refers to saving battery power. That's important for portable devices.
    This discussion of saving battery power brings to mind something I've been thinking about a lot in the last few months--not saving battery power, but saving battery health. I love the touchstones I have for my phone for their convenience, but at the same time I think they're sucking the life out of my battery. The reason for my concern is twofold: one issue is heat, and the other is a repeated charging at high battery cell voltage levels.

I know that heat is the greatest enemy of lithium ion batteries, and the touchstone definitely gets the battery a lot warmer than the charging cable does. I do not think this excess heat is doing my battery's lifespan any favors.

I also notice that when my phone is on the touchstone it will charge to 100% (4.2 V), discharge to about 95% (4 V), and then start charging again. It will repeat that cycle indefinitely. One issue here is that if exhibition mode is running, the phone is using more battery power, and the cycle will repeat at a greater frequency. In other words, the fact that the phone is hooked up to a power source does not mean that the battery is safe from getting worn out by all the extra charge cycles. The other issues is that these charging cycles are taking place when the battery cells are at their highest voltage levels, and I believe that is the second most stressful thing for a Li-Ion battery after heat.

I think that charging via touchstone is reducing the lifespan of my battery faster than charging via cable. I wonder how significant this effect is, and if it makes the convenience of touchstone charging worth it or not.

I realize I've just been talking about phones here, but I'm wondering how much this applies to the TouchPad, as well. That's even more of a concern due to the (supposed) lack of a user-replaceable battery. The repeated charging of the TouchPad at high voltages after it has charged up to near full capacity is definitely still an issue, but maybe with the increased cooling surface area the heat is not such a problem. I don't have a TouchPad yet, but has anyone observed the temperature of their battery as they're charging on the touchstone?

If I do get a TouchPad I have no intention of getting the touchstone for it since I shouldn't have to charge it constantly like I did my Pre Plus (the Pre 2 is much better) and because I think charging it via cable is probably better for the battery's health. Although, I suppose a charging cable would have to use some sort of high voltage repeated partial charging cycle, as well. Usually I try to pull my phone off any kind of charger as soon as it reaches 100%, or even before.
    Last edited by Diesel Donkey; 08/03/2011 at 05:56 PM.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    what about people that liek listenign to music via youtube while wanting to multuitask?

is that kind of the point of webos? mutlitasking?
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    what about people that liek listenign to music via youtube while wanting to multuitask?

That's the point...the *audio* will play just fine but it will no longer render the video (which you couldn't see anyway). I believe this is helping battery life since I am burning far less power while listening to a YT playlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post

Again, hp has smartly chosen not to render things that aren't in view. Why sacrifice resources for something the user isn't using. That said, the audio does continue to play even when the video is out of view.
    I personaly do not like the video not rendering when in card mode. I can understand the video not rendering when the screen is off, but it should render when in card mode. Unfortunately the 'no vieo pause on minimize' patch in Preware does nothing to resolve this issue. Even with the patch installed, the video still stops reendering when in card mode, the audio does continue though.

PS: Why can't they simply make this a selectable option in preferences to choose between having the video rendered while in card mode.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast