Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I guess I missed where you ranted on about all the things you like about the TouchPad, that don't have anything to do with the 3.0.2 update.
    I didn't do a full review in this thread. So you would have to read other threads.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Yeah, that must be it. HP feels multi-tasking isn't important, and they want webOS to become like IOS.

Such amazing insight!!
    With your insight, why don't you please explain the logic of why, when you open multiple links in seperate cards, they won't load in the background and will only load when the card is made full screen. Why did HP take this retrograde step from webOS 2.1.0 to webOS 3.0.0 and then let alone fix this issue in webOS 3.0.2, they have actually gone and made it so, that now a youtube video freezes when in card mode? I suppose my statement should have had a 'sarcasm' smilie attached, but then there is no such smilie and in any case I would have thought that it was obvious anyhow.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Positive: Overall improved performance. Feels a lot more polished now. Preware fixed.

Negative:
    1. Still a few lingering hiccups, but nothing as bad as the last iOS update for my wife's iPad.
    Last edited by bobsentell; 08/02/2011 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    With your insight, why don't you please explain the logic of why, when you open multiple links in seperate cards, they won't load in the background and will only load when the card is made full screen. Why did HP take this retrograde step from webOS 2.1.0 to webOS 3.0.0 and then let alone fix this issue in webOS 3.0.2, they have actually gone and made it so, that now a youtube video freezes when in card mode? I suppose my statement should have had a 'sarcasm' smilie attached, but then there is no such smilie and in any case I would have thought that it was obvious anyhow.
    Maybe it was an issue with the Flash player? I prefer the video to play in card mode also. Maybe it was a trade-off between stability & performance over function.
    Again. Turning off exhibition mode does not do what you are saying. The power is still running to the inductive charger. If you take the TouchPad completely off of the charger, the charger is still pulling power.

This was a complaint looking for a reason. That was my point.
    I am not an electrical engineer but I assume the touchstone draws more power when it is charging versus when it has fully charged the TP or when no TP is present. Like when you have a standby light on your TV it draws far less power than when the TV is on.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Again. Turning off exhibition mode does not do what you are saying. The power is still running to the inductive charger. If you take the TouchPad completely off of the charger, the charger is still pulling power.

This was a complaint looking for a reason. That was my point.
    If this was the case the Touchstone would be getting hot without the Touchpad on it. That power has to go somewhere, if it's not being stored it would be radiated as either heat or light.

It's just a transformer, like the one that converts the high voltage power from the overhead cables to the mains voltage you use at home. The input power will be closely related to the output power, albeit with some efficiency losses. Drawing less power at the load will indeed reduce the power drawn from the source.

In summary, turning off exhibition will either reduce the charge time or reduce the power drawn from the mains. Both options would save approximately the same energy (Energy = Power * Time).

Regardless it will have negligible effect on your overall energy consumption. You're better off opening the oven door less often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I am not an electrical engineer but I assume the touchstone draws more power when it is charging versus when it has fully charged the TP or when no TP is present. Like when you have a standby light on your TV it draws far less power than when the TV is on.
    I am an electrical engineer. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I don't know what these people are complaining about. Do they know those big black 'wall wart' power supplies draw power when not in use also. I doubt they go around unplugging all of those!
    Please note this was only a ".02" update. There are many issues I have about the TP which I am sure will be addressed in larger updates.
    No matter what the update did, it wouldn't have been enough for him, because the logo on the device would still be the same. The guy gave himself away as someone who was looking solely to criticize with this line:

That overlooks the obvious (obvious to anyone that actually uses the device) - why would the TP need to go to sleep to "save power", when it's hooked up to a power source? Exhibition mode only works when it's charging. Even if the device went to sleep, the charger would still be consuming the same amount of power.
    My thoughts exactly. This guy's an *****.
    chodaboy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I don't know what these people are complaining about. Do they know those big black 'wall wart' power supplies draw power when not in use also. I doubt they go around unplugging all of those!
    All the energy saved in switching off your charger for one day
    is used up in one second of car-driving.

Source:-David MacKay FRS: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air: Contents
    falconrap likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    hulu works now, too!
    I used hulu before the update.
    Hulu works alot better now. Streaming flash video in general is soo much better. Ive tested Hulu, ESPN, and Crackle so far. No hiccups and this is over the 3G connection from my phone through wifi tether.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Too bad most reviewers consolidate OS, hardware, and app reviews into one big review. It would be nice to see a WebOS, iOS, and Android OS comparison just covering the base/stock OS and nothing else.

Not that it's wrong but IMHO the 3rd party apps are what prop up iOS. They provide most of iOS's advantages/functionality over other platforms. It'd be interesting to see a matrix detailing the functional differences between just the OS and base/stock apps.
    Would be meaningful if hp sells webOS alone, or iOS apps are available on other platforms...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Not sure what happened but the update made my calendar worse, and increased the lack of syncing between my various google calendars and the TP. The good news is I deleted the google account and reinstalled it and (knock on wood) it is now working as it should. For the first time since buying my TP on launch day all of my 4 google calendars are being displayed on the TP. Knock on wood.
    One negative I have found is now when I delete an e-mail, it switches to the previous e-mail instead of going to the next e-mail. Not sure why they made that change.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I used hulu before the update.
    I always had problems playing whole TV shows before on Hulu. Now after the update its working alot better for me. Also notice how web sites continue to load when you swipe away to another card.

Also after deleting last photo in album, it gives you an option to delete the album or add photos to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Positive: Overall improved performance. Feels a lot more polished now.

Negative:
    1. Preware Broke... for maybe the next few hours...
    2. Still a few lingering hiccups, but nothing as bad as the last iOS update for my wife's iPad.
    Preware didn't break for me.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Preware didn't break for me.
    It started working for me this morning.
    We've seen that quickoffice editing is coming (see a post where a guy borrowed a TP from an HP rep that had it running on 3.0.2 = do a search).

I need that and citrix and I'm set.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    Save power as in electricity. You know, like turning off lightbulbs when you leave a room. Pretty reasonable request. No need to leave exhibition running all night and waste money.
    What? You mean that no one knows that you can shut off exhibition mode by clicking the power button while it's on?
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast