Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    you have to open a Mojo app. Its there, on the lower right corner!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    hulu works now, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Which of those are OS issues?
    Those are experience issues as 3.02 didn't really didn't do much for the overall experience compared to first release. You can update the OS all you want; if the overall experience doesn't improve or change for the better to rival what is on the other platforms aside from pretty card animations and simple gestures, webos 3 won't do as well as it could. Those things need to be addressed at some point and if I had the experience and knowledge I would have already started on it weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I hope this guy doesn't get paid for his reviews. I'm just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I don't even understand half of his complaints or what they are. What a dolt.

Stuff like "You can't quickly scroll in contacts".

It's obvious he doesn't use webos and doesn't understand it. I think i've used my contacts app a dozen times since my first pre.
    well, it's not like he doesn't make some valid points regarding the current "gap" between platforms. Granted, most of that gap is due to developers choice of which platform on which they develop. Regardless, the end result is the same: webos is good enough provided you're willing to compromise some loss of ability that is available on another platform. Like I said in another thread, I'm still not sure I'm sticking with webos 3. There is a fairly significant gap in my tablet experience. Though I really don't want to go back to the jailbreaking wars of the ipad. Ug.
    my tp seems to run faster(i didnt think it was bad before) i noticed a few changes. its nice to have the calc. back. im just upset they have yet to add a camera app back. WHY would they have a cam and not have apps for it(minus video call).
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    Those are experience issues as 3.02 didn't really didn't do much for the overall experience compared to first release. You can update the OS all you want; if the overall experience doesn't improve or change for the better to rival what is on the other platforms aside from pretty card animations and simple gestures, webos 3 won't do as well as it could. Those things need to be addressed at some point and if I had the experience and knowledge I would have already started on it weeks ago.
    But this thread is about the os update. It sounds like you want several developers to improve their Apps. They probably won't see your comment here.
    hparsons and cobrakon like this.
    Too bad most reviewers consolidate OS, hardware, and app reviews into one big review. It would be nice to see a WebOS, iOS, and Android OS comparison just covering the base/stock OS and nothing else.

Not that it's wrong but IMHO the 3rd party apps are what prop up iOS. They provide most of iOS's advantages/functionality over other platforms. It'd be interesting to see a matrix detailing the functional differences between just the OS and base/stock apps.
    The youtube video playing in 'glimpse' now freezes (the audio continues) when in card mode. Earlier this was not the case. This was one of things I really liked in webOS as it clearly showed the multi-tasking in webOS, but for some strange reason I suppose HP feels that multi tasking is not such a good thing. Or is it just their desire to become more and more like iOS.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Too bad most reviewers consolidate OS, hardware, and app reviews into one big review. It would be nice to see a WebOS, iOS, and Android OS comparison just covering the base/stock OS and nothing else.

Not that it's wrong but IMHO the 3rd party apps are what prop up iOS. They provide most of iOS's advantages/functionality over other platforms. It'd be interesting to see a matrix detailing the functional differences between just the OS and base/stock apps.
    Exactly. I'm betting without all that developer activity on iOS most folks would look at it and say "*** am I suppose to do with this crap?" Because that is what I said until I found some really excellent apps. webos trumps ios, itself, as far as I'm concerned. But the app gap is problematic at this point. It doesn't help that for some reason, some folks just seem to marry themselves to apple as if they are so fantastic and everything else is crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I hope this guy doesn't get paid for his reviews. I'm just sayin.
    No one is paying me either way and I too strongly feel that the update is a rather 'big' failure in improving the user experience by much, specially considering all the hype the big wigs at HP had created for the update. Other than maybe one or two improvements, I finally was able to add my gmail account to quick office, I don't really see much having changed. In fact there are atleast a few things that have actually stopped working with webOS 3.0.2. An example of something that worked fine earlier is the ability for a youtube video to continue playing when in card mode, but no more.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I don't even understand half of his complaints or what they are. What a dolt.

Stuff like "You can't quickly scroll in contacts".

It's obvious he doesn't use webos and doesn't understand it. I think i've used my contacts app a dozen times since my first pre.
    No matter what the update did, it wouldn't have been enough for him, because the logo on the device would still be the same. The guy gave himself away as someone who was looking solely to criticize with this line:
    In WebOS itself, there's still no way to have Exhibition mode go to sleep after a specific period of time, to save power. (Exhibition mode is essentially a lock screen that appears with access to your agenda and other information while the TouchPad is docked but not in use.)
    That overlooks the obvious (obvious to anyone that actually uses the device) - why would the TP need to go to sleep to "save power", when it's hooked up to a power source? Exhibition mode only works when it's charging. Even if the device went to sleep, the charger would still be consuming the same amount of power.
    JED-WEB-OS, Tasdad, Rnp and 2 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    No one is paying me either way and I too strongly feel that the update is a rather 'big' failure in improving the user experience by much, specially considering all the hype the big wigs at HP had created for the update. Other than maybe one or two improvements, I finally was able to add my gmail account to quick office, I don't really see much having changed. In fact there are atleast a few things that have actually stopped working with webOS 3.0.2. An example of something that worked fine earlier is the ability for a youtube video to continue playing when in card mode, but no more.
    Well, I'm waiting a day or so to draw any conclusions. I want plenty of time to test before I share my opinion with others. So far there are a few improvements that are significant to me. They probably should've been present in 3.0.0 but at least HP added them now. As far as hype, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Most of the hype made me feel like the update is a more polished version and what 3.0.0 should've been at launch. The only expectations I had for the update was performance improvements and bug fixes with minor enhancements. I look forward to getting more time playing with the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    People will complain forever about anything and everything they possibly can
    Would you prefer that issues are glossed over so as to coddle a company that reports profits in excess of a couple billion dollars a quarter? I am all for letting a company know when it's doing exceedingly well, but HP has reps that read these forums, and there is no reason to put on kid gloves. Let them know what they are lacking so that they can work to improve the experience. There is nothing wrong with that.

I don't understand consumers that let companies walk all over them. If HP is getting my money, I am going to let them know where the issues are. Right now, they are in apps. Now, you might argue that those aren't "OS" issues, but with the size of HP, I can't figure out why they worked so hard on creating an awesome FB app in house (I am right, that was in house, wasn't it?) and left the document editing to be done by an outside company. Seems it should be core functionality to me. But hey, we got a calculator, right? Who needs document editing when you have a calculator!

And I guess that's my point here with this rant. We can't bring up "app issues" in a thread about the 3.0.2 update, despite the fact that the update INCLUDED APP UPDATES. There remain apps featured on their own website, that aren't even available on the TP. That's pretty misleading, and I think some of us are tired of it.

I love and hate my touchpad, and I should be able to voice the reasons for both of those feelings.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    The problem though, is that this thread was specifically about the 3.0.2. The doc editing will be addressed, but when it is, it won't be through an update to the OS, it will be through an update to the application.

As far as improving the overall user experience. It did. There is no question about that. My wife is not a tech person, and she mentioned how much better email works, and how much faster the device is. The "pretty card animations" statement probably provides a lot of insight on how objective your observations are.
    I can view the event notes in the calendar app now, yay! This was a major problem for me before. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    And I guess that's my point here with this rant. We can't bring up "app issues" in a thread about the 3.0.2 update, despite the fact that the update INCLUDED APP UPDATES. There remain apps featured on their own website, that aren't even available on the TP. That's pretty misleading, and I think some of us are tired of it.

I love and hate my touchpad, and I should be able to voice the reasons for both of those feelings.
    It's perfectly fine to talk about "apps issues" on apps that are core part of the OS. Those that aren't are not going to be part of the OS update.

And yes, when folks rant on about things that have nothing to do with the thread, it gets old quick. It turns the forum into one long gripe session.

As far as voicing the reasons for both of those feelings - I guess I missed where you ranted on about all the things you like about the TouchPad, that don't have anything to do with the 3.0.2 update.

I hope you see my point. Too many folks take every opportunity to complain, often about only their particular pet peeve, when it's really not applicable to the thread.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

That overlooks the obvious (obvious to anyone that actually uses the device) - why would the TP need to go to sleep to "save power", when it's hooked up to a power source? Exhibition mode only works when it's charging. Even if the device went to sleep, the charger would still be consuming the same amount of power.
    Save power as in electricity. You know, like turning off lightbulbs when you leave a room. Pretty reasonable request. No need to leave exhibition running all night and waste money.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    Save power as in electricity. You know, like turning off lightbulbs when you leave a room. Pretty reasonable request. No need to leave exhibition running all night and waste money.
    Again. Turning off exhibition mode does not do what you are saying. The power is still running to the inductive charger. If you take the TouchPad completely off of the charger, the charger is still pulling power.

This was a complaint looking for a reason. That was my point.
    chodaboy and falconrap like this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast