Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redmist
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I was having problem connecting and disconnecting to my D-Link DIR-615 router. I tried lots of things but nothing made any lasting difference until I did this....

The 802.11 mode was set to "Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b"

I changed this to "Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b" and now have a perfect, rock-steady WiFi connection.

I think the "n" standard was not defined properly when this router was purchased, and obviously it causes a problem with the TouchPad.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    bevcraw likes this.
    Just for the record, I have the same router. I am in mixed mode for 802.11n/g/b. I've never had a problem connecting to my home wifi. Never had any hiccups home wifi related. Maybe your firmware isn't up to date? My firmware is 3.11NA.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Just for the record, I have the same router. I am in mixed mode for 802.11n/g/b. I've never had a problem connecting to my home wifi. Never had any hiccups home wifi related. Maybe your firmware isn't up to date? My firmware is 3.11NA.
    Oh, I'm way out of date! I'm on 2.23. I've just tried to update and it failed, but I'm not THAT bothered, it's fast enough and stable.

Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I know when I bought my 615 it was in the early days of N (bought mine 3+ years ago). I need to check my firmware, it's been a while since I checked.

Just as a thought (pulling this from car stuff), the NA *might* designate a North American firmware version, just a possibility for RedMist to keep in mind when looking at his firmware.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    That was my impression on NA as well.

The only real wifi/router issues I've had were setting up port forwarding (KalemSoft) but that was just a lack of knowledge, tech support was actually helpful for me for once

Good that you found another solution RM
    I had also Problems with WLAN Connection,
    sometimes it worked ... often not. All the hints in this forum did not work for me.

So I took a WLAN Spy (inSSIDer 2.0) looked what is around my Air :/
    A lot. I have more of 10 WLAN Hotspots in my neighbourhood. Most of them are using channel 1 to 6. My D'LINK DIR 615 took some free channel above 6 (12).
    I changed this manually to channel 3 (was not often used) and tataa. My Touchpad was able to see my WLAN Router again.

Could it be that TP has a Problem with higher WLAN Channels?

Hopefully this experience helps some other people.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Wish I could remember the model number of my D-Link. My problem is whenever I change it from the 2.4 (g) to 5.0 (n) gHz, the TPad continuously disconnects. If I leave it at 2.4 with the 8011g settings, it doesn't lose connection nearly as often. My laptop never has issues with the 5.0 gHz 8011n setting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Oh, I'm way out of date! I'm on 2.23. I've just tried to update and it failed, but I'm not THAT bothered, it's fast enough and stable.

I've never been successful upgrading the firmware via the Admin webpage on the router. I always have to visit their website, download the new firmware and go back to the router Admin page to upload it. Royal pain in the tail, but it's the only way I can perform the upgrade.
    Hmmm... I have a DIR-655 on 1.35NA. I'm on mixed mode G & N. I'll try going straight G and see if that helps.
    my sister and bro'in laws mobile phones had issues on 1 of my routers which when tracked down ended up them misbehavig on the router when using dual band wireless, a quick terminal command turned it off and that sorted that.

Maybe somethign else to look at, tho my TPad was ok with it on, maybe some devices are a tad twitchy on different routers/firmwares/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post

You're probably on the wrong Rev, D-Link has b/c/d rev's out there (hardware versions), the oldest being the B, which I also have.

Note, my TouchPad connected fine when it was set to n-only or g-only, but not when I used b/g/n. The router's firmware is based on a draft revision of the n-standard, I'm assuming that's the problem.

Bottom line, your router is probably revB, and can't update since there have been no updates for that particular model since 2009.
    I switched my Rev A DIR-655 to G-only and I have had no disconnects.
    dir 615 will run dd-wrt... Do it