Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By BigCTM
    Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    I have always been a WebOS fan and have wanted to try out the Touchpad since day 1. I was in Costco yesterday and saw the 479 price and bought it on a whim knowing that the 50.00 rebate ended yesterday. With Costco's return policy, I had nothing to lose.

I have been using a Xoom for 3 weeks and mainly wanted to compare them. I used the Touchpad yesterday for about 5 hours so these are first impressions.

-WebOS is just a better OS than Android. It feels more complete and less like a beta product. The multitasking is SO much better.

-The screen on the Touchpad is sharper than the Xoom. The screen on the Xoom is not its strength.

-The app store on the TouchPad is better. It's better organized and it's easier to tell which apps are tablet optimized. I do wish the TouchPad had Netflix and Zinio like the Xoom has. Hopefully these 2 are coming soon.

-The sound of the TouchPad is better. Beats does make a difference but there's only so much you can expect. It's kind of like laptop speakers - get the headphones out!

-The build quality of the Xoom is better. It is solid and still the best built of any Android tablet released to date. The Touchpad has too much plastic.

-I really do not care that much for either of the delivered web browsers. My favorite tablet web browser still is atomic web browser for the Ipad (sold mine recently). I do like the way the Touchpad renders pages better than the Xoom. The Xoom will render a page and continue to render as I scroll down the page. The TouchPad seems to render the entire page faster. This is an area where the Ipad is the winner. The web browsing (though without Flash) is FAST.

-The Xoom wins on extra features like having cameras and a micro SD slot.

At this point, unless the new TouchPad update is a joke, I am going to keep the TouchPad.
    Thanks for a nice balanced review. Glad you are liking your touchpad, we love ours as well. I have often been tempted to keep the 2nd one, but with the 7incher coming out before christmas hopefully I want to wait and see what that brings.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Glad you like it thus far. I got mine yesterday & because I had a Palm/HP profile (from my Pre-), in minutes all my contacts, photos, apps, etc were synched & up on my TouchPad. I immediately downloaded about 20 Apps. Took a bit to download Pivot in the App Catalog, but that also seems nice.

Looking forward to the OTA update & getting more quality apps.
    OP, nice review...i second all your points....the TP isn't perfect to be sure. but like you, i am more than happy with mine.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/01/2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: removed reference to deleted post
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I'd say the xoom is the wrong tablet to compare to.

The galaxy tab certainly is a better tablet than the xoom. It is thin, light, sleek, and has a fantastic screen.
    Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    I had my Palm profile from my Pre Plus and it unfortunately loaded all my old apps. I went in and deleted most of them (except a few of my 'old' favorites that are not tablet optimized yet). I downloaded several new ones too, probably about 10 or so that were free.

Glimpse seems like a good first purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Glad you like it thus far. I got mine yesterday & because I had a Palm/HP profile (from my Pre-), in minutes all my contacts, photos, apps, etc were synched & up on my TouchPad. I immediately downloaded about 20 Apps. Took a bit to download Pivot in the App Catalog, but that also seems nice.

Looking forward to the OTA update & getting more quality apps.
    <<Thread cleaned>>
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    I'd say the xoom is the wrong tablet to compare to.

The galaxy tab certainly is a better tablet than the xoom. It is thin, light, sleek, and has a fantastic screen.
    Except for the fact the Xoom was the tablet he owned and could objectively compare it to...
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCTM View Post
    I had my Palm profile from my Pre Plus and it unfortunately loaded all my old apps. I went in and deleted most of them (except a few of my 'old' favorites that are not tablet optimized yet). I downloaded several new ones too, probably about 10 or so that were free.

Glimpse seems like a good first purchase.
    Glimpse was my 1st paid app.