View Poll Results: If you have the TouchPad, do you like it?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I absolutely love it and use it daily!

138 71.88%
  • I like it, but don't use it often.

5 2.60%
  • I have some issues with it, but enjoy it otherwise.

33 17.19%
  • I don't like it at all.

6 3.13%
  • I returned mine because I didn't like it.

10 5.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    We liked it so much that I bought a second one for my wife.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    bhughes719 likes this.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    I stopped bringing my laptop home from work. I use the TouchPad for everything I used to do on the laptop in the evenings.
    Me, too! I leave my laptop at work except for weekends. But some weekends, I never even take the laptop out of the case! I am using the TP for most everything at home. If I need to print, I "borrow" my husband's HP laptop (boy, is that sucker heavy, especially after the TP!)
    I've only had mine for a week now and love it. I previously owned an iPad and sold that pre iPad 2 to minimize loss. I found that after having a tablet not having one kinda sucked. I was anticipating a webOS tablet but man I didn't know if I was going to be able to hold out till now. The TP is my everything device at home. Sunday I spent most of the day in bed recovering from a concert and it was used extensively doing internet related task. So I am a happy camper with the device. Looking forward to the update but as a Pre- day 1 user not really holding my breathe for world changing updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Did all this, no change I'll be working in an app, go to scroll and the screen is just dead. 5-15 seconds later every touch I did goes by in a flash. In a dual-core system something just seems amiss there.

I am hopeful, we'll have an update within 6 minutes
    wow I have not had that. You did both preware and ##LOGS# (did you correctly set logging to minimal?). I swear no lag here ever! DO you have too many things open?

BUT I had to reformat my system as another family member wanted to login with their profile. Logging settings went ot fractory default and wow I see what you folks talk about horrible lag. And that was even after all the apps d/l'd. So I applied ##LOGS# set to minimal and good to go.
    I love my TP. Sold my Motorola Zoom when I got it. It is a huge time saver for doing my daily stuff (reading e-mail,listening to my favorite podcast, browsing the web). WEBOS has a great multitasking experience. I can't use my wife's IPAD no more. I get tired switching apps

I hope good apps keeps pouring in. The only thing that I miss from my Zoom is TAPTU and PULSE new reader.
    I'm mostly deceived by the fact that it doesn't shine both in the inside and the outside. Webos is great but the outside is just crap compared with what concurence do.

But the apps already here are great and promising. The fact to not being able to dl pdf's linked with a cgi link is mostly my only complaint.

I will use the tp to shçwcase my work to customers starting fall (websites mostly), and it is really great for that (cause I do a lot of flash)!! For now, I read news, mails a,d other stuffs I did with my computer and the tp just handles that plainly.

Missing preware though (since novacom drivers are not working with lion).
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    wow I have not had that. You did both preware and ##LOGS# (did you correctly set logging to minimal?). I swear no lag here ever! DO you have too many things open?

BUT I had to reformat my system as another family member wanted to login with their profile. Logging settings went ot fractory default and wow I see what you folks talk about horrible lag. And that was even after all the apps d/l'd. So I applied ##LOGS# set to minimal and good to go.
    Crap! I actually forgot to do the ##LOGS#. I'll try that tonight! Thanks.
    I use it most every day, but functionality is still severely limited with not being able to connect to the WiFi at work. I do use FreeTether (which is a violation of InfoSec policies) on my FrankenPre to synch email and calendar.

At work I use TapNote and pondNotes (I have not decided which to use yet since I like features of both) to take notes in meetings, I view PPT and PDF files, I draft email responses, etc. Most days I can leave my monster leather padfolio in the office and not haul it to meetings.

At home I use it to keep up on work and personal email, update facebook occasionally, surf while watching TV with the family and read books on Kindle at bed time.

All in all, I am very happy with the device, but it will be returned if the infamous update doesn't fix the issues with PEAP-GTC wireless support. I might end up being one of those iPad2 converts... but I'll go kicking and screaming all the way.
    ksevern likes this.
    Very happy with it. Am only using the desktop about three times a week since getting it. Its too easy to grab it from the nightstand and not get outa bed. Its too hard to fight the kids to use it!
    Having only a desktop at home and my Pre-, I'm using my TouchPad more and more every day. I would much rather prefer sitting outside on my deck in the blistering heat, under the umbrella, than sitting inside the house in front of my PC.

Although I've homebrewed the sweet-zombie-Jesus out if my Pre, this replacement I've gotten is nowhere near as good as my last with constant lag, freezing, TMC. (all with UK SS 1K/500) and all the other usual performance patches.

I rarely use my Pre for anything other than phone calls, text messages and freeTether.

My main uses for my TouchPad are general surfing, playing games, social media, music/video.

I have had the odd problem here and there. Lost my sound one time only (fixed immediately after finding the thread on it), and have had the odd reboot, but for the handful of times it's happened, I'm not too worried about it. Also had an issue with not finding media files...again something that was fixed immediately after finding the thread on it.

Bought mine 15 July, first day it was available up here and really haven't looked back.
    I've got a PC, Laptop and Netbook and since getting my TouchPad I've only touched the Laptop a couple of times to do a couple of things that you just can't do on the TP at this time, so I'm loving it.

The best part about the experience to me is that since I leave the TP on 24x7, we had a couple of nights of storms in my area which woke me up in the middle of the night, and since I have satellite I knew that my signal would be out. Picked up my TP, checked the weather and could go back to sleep without having to turn anything else on, make noise to wake anyone up, or mess up my "night vision" from it being the middle of the night.

It has been great for casual surfing and easy entertainment purposes. The only problem that I've had is the "Can't find page" problem that gets resolved by resetting WiFi or Airplane mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Crap! I actually forgot to do the ##LOGS#. I'll try that tonight! Thanks.
    Please let us hear if that works. I'm hopeful for you.

Ain't this community grand? So much helpful experience you guys contribute. Of course, I'm always a taker...don't have the knowledge to really help here. So thanks to all those who give great help on PreCentral...and I hope this helps nyquistJack tonight.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Having only a desktop at home and my Pre-, I'm using my TouchPad more and more every day. I would much rather prefer sitting outside on my deck in the blistering heat, under the umbrella, than sitting inside the house in front of my PC.
    Last summer when I visited your fair city, I left Taber, AB where it was almost 90 degrees F, and upon arriving in Calgary about an hour and a half later, it was in the 40's F. So, I guess you can sit in the blistering heat without too much worry because in the next 10 minutes....

I'm not at a point where I can buy a TP, but I'm keeping my options open. My Verizon Pre+ is up for replacement around the end of September...but since it is supplied by my business, I'll have to wait a bit longer before upgrading to a Pre3...or something else by then?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

definitely get the keyboard, Touchstone and case = makes it feel like a laptop replacement. the case folds to make it stand. We just need quickoffice now. And citrix. If I get those two, I really might stop using my desktop pc.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    I've got a PC, Laptop and Netbook and since getting my TouchPad I've only touched the Laptop a couple of times to do a couple of things that you just can't do on the TP at this time, so I'm loving it.

The best part about the experience to me is that since I leave the TP on 24x7, we had a couple of nights of storms in my area which woke me up in the middle of the night, and since I have satellite I knew that my signal would be out. Picked up my TP, checked the weather and could go back to sleep without having to turn anything else on, make noise to wake anyone up, or mess up my "night vision" from it being the middle of the night.

It has been great for casual surfing and easy entertainment purposes. The only problem that I've had is the "Can't find page" problem that gets resolved by resetting WiFi or Airplane mode.
    Beerdini, have you tried updating the DNS servers on your wireless router? I had previously used the default DNS servers that my wireless router got through the DHCP process with my cable Internet provider, Charter. I would often get the "Can't find page" errors on my Pre and computer. Since manually changing from Charter DNS to OpenDNS I haven't had any other trouble. Not to mention websites do load up faster with OpenDNS. It's a free service and I have been using it since late 2009.

Here's their site: OpenDNS | DNS-Based Web Security

In case you want to use it, there's no need to sign up for an account to add their servers to your DNS configuration. Their servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. I think they added some more recently, but I don't know the addresses.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I use mine about 20 times a day. It's lovable in a way that my Asus Transformer wasn't.

Is awesome.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I would much rather prefer sitting outside on my deck in the blistering heat
    What is blistering heat for you folks anything over 70 degrees fahrenheit?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I was skeptical about tablets in general and thought I'd kick myself for not spending the $500 on a laptop that for the same price would do more.

However, I was very suprised at just how much more convenient this form factor is compared to a laptop. With a laptop, I generally have to carry cables around and if it's asleep or turned off it takes forever to booth. Because of the size, I would never just carry it with me everywhere I go. However, I find that the touchpad is so easy to lay on the kitchen table to read news while I eat breakfast, to have on the arm rest of my easy chair or to carry while I'm out and about. I find it has probably taken over about 80% of my computer time. I still head to my desktop for photo editing, working with music files, burning CDs accessing some reference works that I only have on the PC and document editing (hopefully that will change soon). Occasionally, I'm doing something where I just want the big screen, but I never realized just how much of what I do is basic web browsing, checking e-mail and things like that.

I'm feeling better and better about the purchase every day. I know the price will continue to drop on tablets and this one will probably be obsolete in 1-2 years, but this was the case with PCs back in the 90's as well. If you're an early adopter in any kind of electronics, you just have to accept that and not look back once you've made the leap.

I also think that this purchase has made something like the Veer much more pallatable for me.. I can use it to tether the Touchpad when I want the big screen so I don't have to cram as much onto the screen of my phone. I may consider it instead of the Pre3 now.

No regrets here.
    Tatobest likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cthetford View Post
    I also think that this purchase has made something like the Veer much more pallatable for me.. I can use it to tether the Touchpad when I want the big screen so I don't have to cram as much onto the screen of my phone. I may consider it instead of the Pre3 now.

No regrets here.
    Just to add I am loving my Veer with the TP, once 2.2 is on it and I can get my SMS on the TP it will be even better.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Tatobest likes this.
    I'm really enjoying mine. I use is constantly throughout the day. My pre has mostly been relegated to phone calls (when not hooked up to the TP), text messaging, music while running, and tethering for my Touchpad when not in regular wifi range. I'm a junior in college and haven't owned a laptop at all, I've done all my work on my desktop. My tablet has I've found is in the sweet spot between my desktop, on which I do all my heavy computing, video editing and whatnot, and my phone's inconspicuous portability.
    I take my tablet with me most places, work, school, ect... It's pretty portable.

The apps I use most are Advanced Browser, The Music Player, Facebook, and Kindle. I've really enjoyed Kindle. I'm not really an avid reader, but I've found I've read more books since we got the Kindle app than I'd read in the previous six months. It's starting to get expensive. But I love it, any spare moment I've got, there's a good chance I've got my touchpad on me and I'll whip it out and start reading.

I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again; We need Quickoffice to support document editing. For the next two weeks it's not quite as important to me, but when Fall Semester starts up at my university, I'm going to need it.

All in all, I am very satisfied with my Touchpad. It's got a few rough edges but once HP irons them out I'll be as happy as a worm in an apple.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast