Page 1 of 32 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
  1.    #1  
    Because of the large influx of threads being posted about the upcoming TouchPad Update (v3.0.2), we have created this thread as a place to discuss.

Also, if you haven't had the chance to read up take a look at PreCentral's two-part review of the TouchPad:
    http://www.precentral.net/review-hp-touchpad

Other fantastical TouchPad forums for your perusal:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-accessories/

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-tips-information-resources/
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/01/2011 at 11:47 AM.
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    It is puzzling why HP is not releasing TouchPad updates sooner....there are several issues that may be deterring potential new buyers...why not fix them asap...i am sure most people won't mind more updates...if they actually make things better..unlike palm pre...HP doesn't have to go thru carriers for releasing their updates...RIMM released so many updates following their launch...may be every other day...it is ok if there are issues that need to be addressed...i don't need to wait month or two so that they can fix xyz...they need to release updates more quickly especially if it is very important...

Doesn't seem like HP has learned the lessons from Palm...this is very competitive market...TP seems to be the next best thing (in my view the best thing) following ipad2. Why not make software reliable that would help bring new users in? we need to expand the user base to create our own echo system...

why don't these people get it...
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Trovahead and coughdrops like this.
    Let's give them until the end of the month which was their target date. I'm sure they are working as fast as they can to get it out.
    since they announced the 4g version, the 3.0.2 build might be destined for that as well...which means that they would require carrier approval.
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    since they announced the 4g version, the 3.0.2 build might be destined for that as well...which means that they would require carrier approval.
    No, it would be strange if update to wifi only version needs att approval.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Having had Android tablets and phones, it's great to see they are taking their time getting it right.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Having had Android tablets and phones, it's great to see they are taking their time getting it right.
    +1

Just get it right when it gets here.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    They said by the end of the month. I'm fine with that, it's just 5 more days.
    who was the guy that said july 25th for certain?
    LocoTreoGurl likes this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Whoever it was is in this thread...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ta-update.html
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    No, it would be strange if update to wifi only version needs att approval.
    it would if they plan on releasing a single version of the OS for both the wifi and the coming 4g version. as in, if they gave the 3.0.2 to AT&T already for testing/approval (my guess is they did already as it does take time). maybe AT&T tells them that it's almost done and that they are just waiting for it. to your point, in this scenario, if AT&T keeps pushing it, then HP can always re-brand this release as 3.0.3 and release it already. that way, if AT&T finds an issue, HP can still fix it under that 3.0.2 version.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I do kind of agree that I'd like to see it this month or as soon as possible. I returned the TouchPad because of the issues I found (mostly the random freezing).

I'd mostly like to see them release it by the end of the month because that is when the $50 rebate expires. As long as I can buy it by July 31st I think I'm still eligible for the rebate, so if the update comes out and actually fixes some of these issues I'll buy it again.

I may end up buying it on July 31st either way and plan to return it again if the update doesn't come out before my return period expires.
    Interesting, my Touchpad has never frozen.

To the point of this thread, I would agree that it would be nice if HP had already released updates and that they would do so frequently as improvements come out. However, I believe this first update is important to HP to answer the review critics and to set the tone that HP is trying to set for WebOS being the foundation it plans to build its array of products around. Someone mentioned Blackberry's frequent updates, however, Blackberry has still often been criticized that none of these updates has solved the fundamental problem of not having PIM info natively on the tablet. Had they done that, my belief is that the Playbook would be selling better.

This is not to say that the Touchpad doesn't have other shortcomings, but I do think strategically its important for HP to have its first update be rather comprehensive around many of the fixable issues that have already been identified (or as the HP directors call it...maturing the OS), and answer the critics.
    All for One and One for All!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Let's hope it's because they are doing lots and lots of QA and testing. They said by the end of the month, so I'll wait until then before getting impatient.
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Doesn't seem like HP has learned the lessons from Palm...this is very competitive market...TP seems to be the next best thing (in my view the best thing) following ipad2. Why not make software reliable that would help bring new users in? we need to expand the user base to create our own echo system...

why don't these people get it...
    Love this type of comment. Love how people think they know how to run a company the size of HP. Classic...

Also, I can guarantee that most people will NOT be happy with the OTA when released. I can already see the responses on this stie: That's it? It took them that long to only deliver that? What about ...? Man, doesn't HP get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Love this type of comment. Love how people think they know how to run a company the size of HP. Classic...

Also, I can guarantee that most people will NOT be happy with the OTA when released. I can already see the responses on this stie: That's it? It took them that long to only deliver that? What about ...? Man, doesn't HP get it?
    The market place knows and decides...we all know what happened with palm...not saying HP is palm..but when u r behind...you need to reach for the stars to compete...otherwise apple juggernaut will run u over...look at nokia and rimm...
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I dont know why people think that the only way to "win" is to destroy apple. There is nothing wrong with having a profitable product that meets the needs of MANY people. Would an ipad meet my needs... yes. Does a TP meet my needs...yes. I choose the TP because of its interface and features. I win! (without destroying apple)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    The market place knows and decides...we all know what happened with palm...not saying HP is palm..but when u r behind...you need to reach for the stars to compete...otherwise apple juggernaut will run u over...look at nokia and rimm...
    Totally different companies and focus in my opinion. You can't look at HP like these other companies. Remember WebOS is one small division in HP - nothing more. While senior managment is pushing WebOS and "the ecosystem"; it's not a show stopper for HP if it were to fail. Yes, they would have egg on their face and I don't believe it will fail. But if it were to fail, HP would be fine. The $1.2 billion purchase of Palm is chump chage to HP - thus a risk to take.

HP and Apple have different business models and it's not about Apple. HP is business first, while Apple is much more consumer based. It is what it is. While Apple's profit margin is larger than HP's, their total revenue is less than 1/2 of HP's (2010 - $63 billion to $130 billion). HP can't look at this as a battle with Apple, rather how can they leverage their massive distribution and partner channels to help push this (and all solutions).

The one thing I have been impressed with is how HP is staying focused on THEIR objectives and timeline with WebOS. I'm very interested to see how things are in about 2 years. My guess is HP will be like RIMM and much more business focused with these devices; consumer sales, while important, will be icing on the cake for them.

just my 2 cents
    Why aren't things done the way I want them done? Everything should be revolved around ME! If it's not, it's WRONG!

...sigh...
    Sprint Love
Page 1 of 32 12345611 ... LastLast