Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I assume thats the 3G Version as it has a 'number' field, so I suppose thats the version of webos shipping on those devices
    Don't think so !

Version 3.0.2. is the number of the 'coming soon'-Update !
    Maybe the TP's produced for Signapor/Asia-Pacific are updated out of the box.
    I think you may have misunderstood me, I was pointing out that on that image the device info lists a 'number' which my device info doesnt. Therefore, it was my assumption that the device has a telephone number associated with it (my Pre also has a 'number' field).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Love this type of comment. Love how people think they know how to run a company the size of HP. Classic...

Also, I can guarantee that most people will NOT be happy with the OTA when released. I can already see the responses on this stie: That's it? It took them that long to only deliver that? What about ...? Man, doesn't HP get it?
    Some people are just update junkies.. Even if the device was perfect they would be going "No updates? We've been abandoned!" I see this a lot with "Microsoft updates" People get all wiggy if they don't get regular updates even if they haven't a clue what any of them do.
    FenrirWolf and barryb20 like this.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by obwielnls View Post
    Some people are just update junkies.. Even if the device was perfect they would be going "No updates? We've been abandoned!" I see this a lot with "Microsoft updates" People get all wiggy if they don't get regular updates even if they haven't a clue what any of them do.
    Beanis likes this.
    Well when it comes to windows, I get mad when I am getting updates every day...

and yes I know that means they probably fixed a bug, but the bug wasn't there until the last update made the bug...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ariker01 likes this.
    Actually, that could have been a bug in Windows XP that they are just now getting around to fixing.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

Or Adobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

and yes I know that means they probably fixed a bug, but the bug wasn't there until the last update made the bug...
    Turn them off.. (All of my corporate clients have them disabled, we push out the ones that are needed.. Usually 3 or 4 per YEAR) Some of them have been known to cause more problems than they solve..

Some of the fixes read something like this:

"This update solves a seriously critical security flaw in your computer. Its possible that if someone in a time zone that's exactly 12 hours off from yours and has the same computer name and the same user name attacks your computer at midnight on a year that ends in the letter J the attacker could cause your computer clock to RESET it self to the new timezone. We recommend you install this update NOW.. NOW we say! .. Don't wait, don't think!.. Do it Do it now!

P.S. After you install this update you will have to reboot and there is a chance you will not be able to ever print to any printer again.. ever.. oh and you can't uninstall this either.. have a nice day. "

Ok they don't read exactly like but close.. seriously ;p

I'm thinking this is off topic and I'm on my soap box.. Sorry guys.
    graylion likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    Or Adobe.
    Truth, this one drives me nuts at work since I need to keep adobe up to date.

Turn them off.. (All of my corporate clients have them disabled, we push out the ones that are needed.. Usually 3 or 4 per YEAR) Some of them have been known to cause more problems than they solve..

"This update solves a seriously critical security flaw in your computer. Its possible that if someone in a time zone that's exactly 12 hours off from yours and has the same computer name and the same user name attacks your computer at midnight on a year that ends in the letter J the attacker could cause your computer clock to RESET it self to the new timezone. We recommend you install this update NOW.. NOW we say! .. Don't wait, don't think!.. Do it Do it now!

P.S. After you install this update you will have to reboot and there is a chance you will not be able to ever print to any printer again.. ever.. oh and you can't uninstall this either.. have a nice day. "

LOL, yeah I need to turn em off, and LOL at the rest of your post.

Sad thing is, on my Win7 machines I'm just kinda like meh any more. I let em do their thing. Need to clean up the office PC. And the HTPC runs XP so no headaches there.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Let's get back to discussion of the TouchPad, please.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    1. Do you own one?
    2. No one should buy a 1.0 launch day product unless they expect bumps and trust the manufacturer to solve them. Don't buy it to play and return. That's just wrong.
    1. Yes since launch.

2. WHAT!!!!! You have to be kidding why would anyone intentionally buy a product that did not work correctly. I bought my touchpad thinking that it would work great out of the box. The only problem I thought I may have is lack of apps which my workaround for that was going to be a good browser so I wouldn't need a lot of the apps I use on android. My browser freezes up so often its not worth using. In fact some times my pre- loads pages faster.
    I trusted HP when I bought the pad but now 27 days later I don't. You can say all you want about how these things take time and so on but get real. If a multi billion dollar company with hundreds of thousands of employees cant get an update out within a few weeks to fix some of the major problems then i'm going to say that HP is not giving there full support to the product and if there not giving there full support at launch they never will. I really wanted HP to come out of the gates running with webos and give it the chance it didn't have with palm's lack of funding but I see now that HP is going to be the death of webos
    @2 this is true of all things. You shouldn't by the first year of a revised car model as well. You will end up going through the growing pains of more warranty work and other bugs the manufacturer has to go through. This goes for a lot of things, not saying you have to wait for TP 2 to come out, but launch items of most products involve some waiting. This is the first time the device/car/etc is being mass produced issues will come up and as he said you have to trust the manufacturer to fix them.

The life of an early adopter is rough and is one reason I am usually not one. At the same time I am the kind of person that tries to take great care of my purchases and educate myself on them.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Windows Updates the only virus you willingly install!

graylion
    obwielnls likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyg8 View Post
    1. Yes since launch.

2. WHAT!!!!! You have to be kidding why would anyone intentionally buy a product that did not work correctly. I bought my touchpad thinking that it would work great out of the box. The only problem I thought I may have is lack of apps which my workaround for that was going to be a good browser so I wouldn't need a lot of the apps I use on android. My browser freezes up so often its not worth using. In fact some times my pre- loads pages faster.
    I trusted HP when I bought the pad but now 27 days later I don't. You can say all you want about how these things take time and so on but get real. If a multi billion dollar company with hundreds of thousands of employees cant get an update out within a few weeks to fix some of the major problems then i'm going to say that HP is not giving there full support to the product and if there not giving there full support at launch they never will. I really wanted HP to come out of the gates running with webos and give it the chance it didn't have with palm's lack of funding but I see now that HP is going to be the death of webos
    Strange. I have yet to see my browser freeze. Mine works out of the box.. ok I cheated and spent about ten minutes installing preware and a few patches. As for the bugs, maybe HP is listening to the community first to see if there are other bugs to fix. why would you push out an update when you don't even fully know what all the bugs are? To me that would seem silly. And i sure as hell wouldn't want to see an update every day to fix one small tis or one small that.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    where's my ota update? Waaaah! :-(
    <<staff edit>>

Yes, HP has a lot of employees, but only a very small fraction of them sre working directly on webOS (though I hear from some of them that lots of them are now using webOS phones, and providing feedback to that division). In spite of that, a major fix the same month a new OS, on a totally new device is no small feat.

But, you've looked into your crystal ball and determined that not only will HP "not give their full support"; but they're "going to be the death of webOS" as well.

And you based this on your disappointment that an update's not out yet...

Seriously?

C'mon. HP has spent billions on this. Not only are they not going to be the death of webOS, they've rebuilt it, and have committed to putting it on literally hundreds of million devices. Sort of an odd way to "die".

Gotta say, spelling errors and all, your predictions and assessment don't really gybe with reality.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/28/2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: enough with the spelling checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The update, at this point, is getting way too hyped.

It's a .02 update, not even a .2. That should tell you how significant it will be.

I shudder to think of all the whining that will take place when the OTA flies out, because it didn't fix X or Z.
    I'm expecting this to be a common reaction too. I'd be more excited if it were a 3.1 update or something, but even then I don't expect one update to rule them all. There are plenty of numbers after 3.0.2 and 3.1 or whatnot for more and better updates to come.
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 07/28/2011 at 01:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I got my Touchpad, first WebOS device, by pre-ordering on Amazon. Quite a bargain as I am getting new things for free every week. Movies, books, all coming in OTA with a day before Christmas feeling of expectation of a new toy. Now I'm waiting for the Update. After that I get to open Splashtop or some other remote desktop program. I could have waited until all these things came out, then bought, but where is the fun in that? Adopting early lets you get a new device over and over again at a low cost.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    hparsons, gastr and gzinkl like this.
    Remember way back with early 1.x updates, an article on Precentral tried to see a pattern in update schedules? I think they found most on Thursdays.

:-)
    Sorry to sound off, but I bought 2 Pre Plus phones last August with the assurance that an OTA upgrade would fix the various shortcomings I quickly identified.... I waited a month, a quarter, 6 months and then told there would be no upgrade of the Pre Plus.

I bought the TouchPad on 7/6, assured that the OTA upgrade would happen within 10 days for sure.

It is now the 28th. I still can't login to hotmail.com or mail.live.com .... I love the integration of my calendars, contact lists and email (2 facebook accounts, 3 m.hotmail.com (exchange) accounts, etc.) .... but webOS mail still does not support HTML email !!!!

On my Pre Plus, I can access mail.live.com (or hotmail.com or mail.msn.com) and view my html mail, SkyDrive, and the mobile versions of Web Office.

If obsolete webOS version 1.45 can do this (and view DRUDGE REPORT 2011 reliably) why can't webOS 3.0 ????

I will be a VERY unhappy customer if the OTA upgrade comes and I STILL find that the browser on my Pre is more compatible than on my TouchPad !!!
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast