Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1087 View Post
    My take is that the OTA update will be MIA as July 31 comes and goes. Shortly After and By End of Month were HP Corporate "horse hockey". Next tapdance will be something like "We really want to get it right... Definitely before start of Q4". Betcha a buck!
    Well, this is why I'm only waiting until Friday. I really, really like HP products and I really, really like the way webOS works. It just doesn't quite do everything that was promised (Quick Office editing) or that I need (HTTP proxy). I like it enough to give them some time, post release, to do what they said. But, I don't have $600 to spend on something just to show my support of what could be a great ecosystem, in time.

Believe me, I want to see the TouchPad succeed, at least for me. I spent a fair amount of breath between February and June trying to convince tablet-seeking friends to "hold off for another month or two because the TouchPad is coming". I've got a lot of crow to eat if I return my TouchPad.

If HP can't make the thing usable in a competitive time, though, at least I can eat my crow warm, and do it while editing documents on an iPad.

What I'm still hoping for is to have HP meet it's announced deadline, which will probably be measured by having Quick Office editing and the GPU boost. With luck, it'll even include the other bits I want. I don't think it's unreasonable for even the biggest HP booster to be getting a bit nervous and setting up a Plan B. C'mon, HP treated the release of the Kindle App and HP Movie Store, last week, as a "big win". That wasn't a win. That was, at best, on-time delivery. At worst, it was late delivery -- Kindle is still in beta.
    Jonesey likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The update, at this point, is getting way too hyped.

It's a .02 update, not even a .2. That should tell you how significant it will be.

I shudder to think of all the whining that will take place when the OTA flies out, because it didn't fix X or Z.
    If anyone is hyping it, it's HP. Do you remember what Ruby and Dewitt said in the TIMN interview?

"Jon: One more thing, don’t forget that we have our OTA update coming soon. As we discussed, it’s been under development for three, nearly four months, and it’s terrific. We want to be sure you get a unit with that on it and take a second look.

TIMN: Will that be available by the 17th?

Jon: No.

Stephen: Some elements will be available, improvements to our movie store, the Kindle app… but the OTA is planned for the end of the month. And we’ll use this as an opportunity to go back to the reviewer community… you also saw probably the announcement that we have our 4G tablet in the pipeline with AT&T, and we’re working on that. There’s going to be plenty of stuff to talk about. If we end up turning around those reviews, and people say ‘hey HP fixed that stuff’… that’s going to be the case you should expect. But you don’t just whip these up; there’s a full engineering effort behind them."

They themselves said that it would be great... great enough to merit the device going back into the hands of reviewers for a second look.

So if it isn't, then let them explain it and apologize. No need for webOS apologists from within the paying customer base. A customer has the right to expect what is advertised, and to complain if that isn't delivered.

I'm still personally hoping that it IS great... which is why I still have mine and begged BB to extend my return policy to let me see and use it after the update, just like HP asked me to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Please explain.
    HP is treating consumer market as less demanding than business market. In some sense, they are acting like bully, playing on scale card too much. Here no one cares about volumes company can potentially pump out of their production lines. Take Sprint situation for example - HP couldn't find angle despite their power and strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    HP is treating consumer market as less demanding than business market. In some sense, they are acting like bully, playing on scale card too much. Here no one cares about volumes company can potentially pump out of their production lines. Take Sprint situation for example - HP couldn't find angle despite their power and strength.
    <<mod delete>>

Exactly how is HP treating the consumer market as any less demanding than the business market. Yes, they are treating them differently, but less demanding? How so? Both markets got the same device, both markets got the same updates (and that is what this thread is about). So other than your constant stream of anti-WebOS nonsense, how are they being treated differently, specifically in relation to the OTA update?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/26/2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: insulting
    Midway99 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1087 View Post
    ...They may be working on updates, but they probably don't have the quality and quantity needed to "make good" for the unfinished software on the soft/hard launched device. They're most likely "stuck" and are loathe to admit it.
    Of course, that's it. They're loathe to admit it. They'd much rather offer something they can't deliver, and then talk about that in the interviews.

/sarcasm

You guys all know way too much. You should be running your own mutil-billion dollar companies.

HP said "about 10 days", and "by the end of the month". We're still in those time frames.
    Midway99 likes this.
    i know some people holding their decision, whether to keep or return TP, on success of this update, but period of 30 to 45 days from launch is not too long at all. If I was one of you guys, waiting to decide, I would return my TP, and buy another one instantly. That way I could wait without nervous.
    C'mon, tell the truth. If you were one of those guys, you'd never have bought it in the first place. I think I see a pattern:

Step 1 - Tell them they shouldn't buy it
    Step 2 - Tell them what a mistake they made
    Step 3 - Tell htme they should take it back
    Step 4 - Help ensure no one else makes the same mistake

This passes for "support" on here. Sad.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I assumed he meant about 10 days from the hard launch.
    I interpreted it that way as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by estockda View Post
    I interpreted it that way as well.
    yaaay! That means tomorrow
    sledge007 likes this.
    i know some people holding their decision, whether to keep or return TP, on success of this update, but period of 30 to 45 days from launch is not too long at all. If I was one of you guys, waiting to decide, I would return my TP, and buy another one instantly. That way I could wait without nervous.
    I strongly object. It borders on fraud and costs retailers actual dollars.

it also causes the resident sales people to discourage prospects from looking at it.

the number one thing that reps use to rank their preference in what they recommend is return rates.

any one that wants webOS to succeed should realize that each return is a dagger in the heart of webOS.

people should stop seeing the returns dept as a free source of toys to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    <<mod delete>>

Exactly how is HP treating the consumer market as any less demanding than the business market. Yes, they are treating them differently, but less demanding? How so? Both markets got the same device, both markets got the same updates (and that is what this thread is about). So other than your constant stream of anti-WebOS nonsense, how are they being treated differently, specifically in relation to the OTA update?
    its not constant anti WebOS stream at all, and you can find my pro WebOS posts I've posted like today. I'm anti-nothing-is-wrong-with-webOS attitude, and at-HP-is-managing-good-webOS-reboot.

When I said HP is treating consumer market as less demanding I think on this: HP allowed themselves to release few mm thicker device and that counts more in consumer than professional market, they allowed themselves to release few grams heavier device than market leaders, they neglected finesses like absence of fine tuning of sound, managing of multimedia files etc. If you don't act along rules, and play on your strength and power, than you are acting like bully. Isn't this correct? And, like this is not enough, HP released device that freezes and reboots by itself. So, where exactly HP did show right approach to consumer market and how? By announcing how they manage to secure production of 3 million TP till end of this year? Is this example of message that will relax webOS users and ensure them in webOS success?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/26/2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: quoted some deleted text
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I strongly object. It borders on fraud and costs retailers actual dollars.

it also causes the resident sales people to discourage prospects from looking at it.

the number one thing that reps use to rank their preference in what they recommend is return rates.

any one that wants webOS to succeed should realize that each return is a dagger in the heart of webOS.

people should stop seeing the returns dept as a free source of toys to play with.
    Yeah man, but TP is having some serious problems for now, and some guys are for so long webOS if OTA is not released while I can still return it.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    some of you guys need to just return your touchpads and get something that magical device that does EVERYTHING you need.

also, quit holding hp’s feet to the fire about an update release date. I want it to be released when it IS ready, not when they tried to get it ready.
    hparsons, cawhalen and jondough like this.
    I said HP is treating consumer market as less demanding I think on this: HP allowed themselves to release few mm thicker device and that counts more in consumer than professional market, they allowed themselves to release few grams heavier device than market leaders, they neglected finesses like absence of fine tuning of sound, managing of multimedia files etc. If you don't act along rules, and play on your strength and power, than you are acting like bully. Isn't this correct? And, like this is not enough, HP released device that freezes and reboots by itself. So, where exactly HP did show right approach to consumer market and how? By announcing how they manage to secure production of 3 million TP till end of this year? Is this example of message that will relax webOS users and ensure them in webOS success?
    this makes no sense to me. Few grams heavier? Few mm thicker? Really??? This is a way they treat the consumer market as "less demanding." very odd logic to me.
    C'mon, tell the truth. If you were one of those guys, you'd never have bought it in the first place. I think I see a pattern:

Step 1 - Tell them they shouldn't buy it
    Step 2 - Tell them what a mistake they made
    Step 3 - Tell htme they should take it back
    Step 4 - Help ensure no one else makes the same mistake

This passes for "support" on here. Sad.
    No, I am one of those guys that is living in country never supported by Palm, and now by HP TP early release plans. Guy, who haven't bought Ipad2 for US price when he could, waiting for TP release and thinking to buy it one day if its good, but for price almost twice higher than in US. Price same as my salary. So, yeah, I have right to be demanding.
    its not constant anti WebOS stream at all, and you can find my pro WebOS posts I've posted like today. I'm anti-nothing-is-wrong-with-webOS attitude, and HP-is-managing-good-webOS-reboot.

When I said HP is treating consumer market as less demanding I think on this: HP allowed themselves to release few mm thicker device and that counts more in consumer than professional market, they allowed themselves to release few grams heavier device than market leaders, they neglected finesses like absence of fine tuning of sound, managing of multimedia files etc. If you don't act along rules, and play on your strength and power, than you are acting like bully. Isn't this correct? And, like this is not enough, HP released device that freezes and reboots by itself. So, where exactly HP did show right approach to consumer market and how? By announcing how they manage to secure production of 3 million TP till end of this year? Is this example of message that will relax webOS users and ensure them in webOS success?
    None of that relates whatsoever to treating the business market differently than the consumer market. It's just another stream of "what they're doing wrong" without explaining:

1) How it's treating the two different markets different
    2) Why any of it is wrong

You quickly jumped from favoring one market to "neglected finesse", and "acting like a bully".

The business market is absolutely no less concerned with devices rebooting than the consumer market, no less concerned with build quality, no less concerned with the weight of the device, etc etc.
    Yeah man, but TP is having some serious problems for now, and some guys are for so long webOS if OTA is not released while I can still return it.
    You don't have one. What are you going to return?
    I don't see TP pushed in business market at all. I compare HP approach to business market by looking their launches of business systems, servers and computers on one side, and TP messy launch in consumer market. What they allowed themselves with TP, they would never allow themselves with professional equipment in business market.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    RIMM released so many updates following their launch...
    Yeah, they have released three updates in three months. Touchpad has been out for three weeks.

If you're so smart maybe you can work for HP and help them fix it. Maybe you could be the CEO too.
    You don't have one. What are you going to return?
    My post was confusing. I meant this - ... some guys that have TP are saying in this forum: if there is no OTA soon, than good buy webOS, we are returning Touchpad, and going to buy some other tablet, not going back to webOS any time soon.
    This discussion is a good one, but it has gotten too heated. Let's slow it down a little and exhibit a little more civility to each other. Thanks.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast