Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    But I thought this rule only applied when he is actually in Nam.
    LOL, true true...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

it would be more like moving from OS9 to OSX.
    Doubt it, osx is unix+bsd. Its totally different from os9. Webos 3 is totally different from webos 2.x? Both based on linux? Hard to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    There are several things that I just do not understand about the whole OTA update and how it has been handled by HP. First of all, if comments from various senior HP guys are taken into account, then it is safe to conclude that the current webOS 3.0.0 on the TouchPad was made final towards the end of March or should we say April 1st. After all they have been working on the update for "over three to four months". Thus, why couldn't HP have a WebOS 3.0.1 ready for July 1st, to coincide with the so called "soft" launch? Would it not have made far more sense to atleast release the fixes worked out in the three months (April, May, June)? Why is it a 'all or nothing' proposition? Or is it that they were not able to fix any major bugs in three months? But if that is the case and if they have not been able to get the major bugs fixed even now, ie. after another whole month has gone by, then what makes them think they can get the bugs fixed anytime soon, if at all? Finally, the very small increment in version number, ie. 0.0.2, does not really suggest any major changes, fixes or improvements, then why hold on to the update any longer and atleast release what is fixed and work out the rest with another 0.0.1 incremental update in four more months. After all, it's not like they are capable of doing much more or any faster than the pace set by them over the last one year since they bought Palm.
    Software development is often a fluid process, and with multiple builds floating around at once. Once the feature set of 3.0 was decided, planning probably began on 3.0.2, before 3.0 was even finished. Second, the as a consumer, and you shouldn't put so much stock into numbering conventions as we have no idea what their roadmap looks like.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    At the end of the day, only 0.5 percent of HP Touchpad owners really care about updates coming out. The other 99.5% use it as it is.
    I am in Ohio and assuming they are in the pipeline to release it means: they are in California and it will take them awhile to set things up so I will hopefully get it by 9pm tonight I am guessing if I'm lucky...I hope its sooner though.
    Well they have 55 minutes left of "Morning" at Palm Headquarters.. :P
    steffej3 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Now the big question is should I roll back my overclock I just did?
    yeah 3.0.2 bumps up the processor speed to 1.5GHz ................ NOT!

J/K

EDIT: P.S. Someone in another forum linked to this thread and quoted me as if I was serious about that.

They must not understand what J/K means ....
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/03/2011 at 03:30 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    The thought has occurred to me that HP might just kill webOS as a tablet/phone platform...
    Veer's are $1 at Best Buy now, TP prices have tanked, no OTA update...

Sometimes to stop the bleeding you amputate.

Let's hope this isn't so...
    This is almost funny (but not quite).

HP announced the price, to a chorus of non-fans screaming it's priced too high.

Lots of folks respond that HP always has a somewhat padded starting price, to allow for sales, discounts (by discount houses), bundles, rebates, etc.

Bundles and rebates start happening (frankly, at about the same speed as other HP products), and then we start hearing that the prices have "tanked".

Seriously? HP didn't buy webOS for 1.2 billion, just so they could "kill" it shortly after beginning to start their release.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    yeah 3.0.2 bumps up the processor speed to 1.5GHz

J/k
    It might not be a bad idea to remove the 'overclocked kernel', if for no other reason than just to be able to compare the performance of webOS 2.0.0 and webOS 3.0.2. I personally am back on the stock kernel and have also removed the Glass theme in anticipation of the update.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I'm wondering about patch behavior in 3.0+, do we delete them, do we delete the added tabs, is it safer to delete or will it work smoothly as it has in previous versions of webos?
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by piras View Post
    At the end of the day, only 0.5 percent of HP Touchpad owners really care about updates coming out. The other 99.5% use it as it is.
    I'm curious, since I suspect most TP early adopters are pretty tech-savvy, were did you get the 0.5% number?

Or is one of those 99.9% of all statistics are "made up" cases?
    From my HP contact:

"AT 3:00 today we will release our OTA. (not sure if that is CST or PST or what, but it is today. It will address some of these along with anything else we may have done.
    • Notably, the OTA addresses the following major areas:
    1. Email improvements, including faster scrolling and better image rendering
    2. Photo and video app improvements, including full folder handling in photos, video names, ability to set wallpaper
    3. Addition of clock and calculator
    4. Autocorrect improvements in both speed and accuracy (will now correct contractions like “don’t”)
    5. Better audio and video quality
    6. Rotation – fix for oversensitive rotation issues
    7. Skype quality improvements
    8. Now able to link straight from a web page to app catalog
    9. Pivot downloads faster
    10. Calendar improvements, including preventing the keyboard from covering global address lookup"
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Doubt it, osx is unix+bsd. Its totally different from os9. Webos 3 is totally different from webos 2.x? Both based on linux? Hard to believe.
    It doesn't matter that both are based on Linux, they are indeed totally different. Software from 3 doesn't run on 2.x, and software from 2.x only runs on 3 because HP is (currently) including the Mojo framework in 3.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoSolo View Post
    From my HP contact:

"AT 3:00 today we will release our OTA. (not sure if that is CST or PST or what, but it is today. It will address some of these along with anything else we may have done.
    ē Notably, the OTA addresses the following major areas:
    1. Email improvements, including faster scrolling and better image rendering
    2. Photo and video app improvements, including full folder handling in photos, video names, ability to set wallpaper
    3. Addition of clock and calculator
    4. Autocorrect improvements in both speed and accuracy (will now correct contractions like ďdonítĒ)
    5. Better audio and video quality
    6. Rotation Ė fix for oversensitive rotation issues
    7. Skype quality improvements
    8. Now able to link straight from a web page to app catalog
    9. Pivot downloads faster
    10. Calendar improvements, including preventing the keyboard from covering global address lookup"
    well we know its not eastern time!! (its 3:15 for me)
    It's definitely going to be PST.
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    by the way, i just got word that the update was delayed a bit but still scheduled for release today (take that for what its worth...just being the messenger)
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    well we know its not eastern time!! (its 3:15 for me)
    I would add that usually a timed rollout doesn't roll to all devices at the exact time it starts to roll out.

The video recorder update to 1.x was on GFN's phone more than 12 hours before mine.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

And I was hoping for a real camera app too!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    anyone else getting an unable to connect message with the update app?
    Since the time came and passed again, we can at least have fun with this, right? So in the order of a previous poster's brainchild, here's what my device shows: See attached image & tweet.

@swdathp @richardkerris @webosdev @HP @palm OTA is coming right? I'm getting this strange message on my deviceÖ justdraw_img_2.png picture by steffej3 - Photobucket
    Attached Images Attached Images
    nyquistjack and Wozza666 like this.