Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Why aren't things done the way I want them done? Everything should be revolved around ME! If it's not, it's WRONG!

...sigh...
    ahhh, the American way these days. ME ME ME
    capt4chris likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Why aren't things done the way I want them done? Everything should be revolved around ME! If it's not, it's WRONG!

...sigh...
    Remember, it is about us and not me. Even after 2 yrs..webOS is still not to the level i would hope. We all want webos to be a significant player in the marketplace. And a company needs to be more dedicated with razor sharp focus to achieve that goal. We are not talking about loyal webos users...more about new users...these little issues whether be random freeze/reboots or losing data after deleting apps, etc..are pushing them away.

Enuff said now...
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    My take is that the OTA update will be MIA as July 31 comes and goes. Shortly After and By End of Month were HP Corporate "horse hockey". Next tapdance will be something like "We really want to get it right... Definitely before start of Q4". Betcha a buck!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1087 View Post
    My take is that the OTA update will be MIA as July 31 comes and goes. Shortly After and By End of Month were HP Corporate "horse hockey". Next tapdance will be something like "We really want to get it right... Definitely before start of Q4". Betcha a buck!
    HP Q4 starts August 1st; unless you mean calendar year Q4
    Todd Bradley said it was coming in 10 days. That came and went. Ruby and DeWitt said by end of the month. I would be surprised if it does land by end of the month. They always seem to be behind. Like others have said though, just get it right, nail it with this update!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1087 View Post
    Do you happened to have a source for this information or is the just your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    It is puzzling why HP is not releasing TouchPad updates sooner....

why don't these people get it...
    So your contention is that HP does not want to release the update as soon as possible and they are intentionally holding it up??? So then you must also believe they intentionally released the touchpad without this update just because they wanted to?

The way some folks think around here kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    it would if they plan on releasing a single version of the OS for both the wifi and the coming 4g version. as in, if they gave the 3.0.2 to AT&T already for testing/approval (my guess is they did already as it does take time). maybe AT&T tells them that it's almost done and that they are just waiting for it. to your point, in this scenario, if AT&T keeps pushing it, then HP can always re-brand this release as 3.0.3 and release it already. that way, if AT&T finds an issue, HP can still fix it under that 3.0.2 version.
    Nope the ATT version will be different. Since there will be software and other changes ATT will want (boot logo as an easy example).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    since they announced the 4g version, the 3.0.2 build might be destined for that as well...which means that they would require carrier approval.
    Hardly. Seems HP is fully aware of TP issues, and I can bet they doesn't binding 3.0.2 release with AT&T approval for GSM version. Probably its not out because some of TP issues obviously skipped unnoticed by QT, and HP found those just after launch and they need time to fix it. If update goes out till first half of August and fix random reboots and occasional freezing HP can mark update as successful. If they squeeze something else in update it would be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Love this type of comment. Love how people think they know how to run a company the size of HP. Classic...
    I, don't think HP is treating webOS as it should, and they are treating consumer market with prejudice.
    Totally different companies and focus in my opinion. You can't look at HP like these other companies. Remember WebOS is one small division in HP - nothing more....
    ...HP is business first, while Apple is much more consumer based. It is what it is. While Apple's profit margin is larger than HP's, their total revenue is less than 1/2 of HP's (2010 - $63 billion to $130 billion). HP can't look at this as a battle with Apple, rather how can they leverage their massive distribution and partner channels to help push this (and all solutions).
    And if HP stepped in consumer market still focused on business, they will be beaten by Apple and Google. Man, RIM and MS are considered as stronger players than HP in smartphone/tablet business.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Todd Bradley said it was coming in 10 days. That came and went. Ruby and DeWitt said by end of the month. I would be surprised if it does land by end of the month. They always seem to be behind. Like others have said though, just get it right, nail it with this update!
    I agree on getting it right, but there shouldn't be a deadline without accountability, and for all I know if they miss the date maybe there are a handful of folks that lose their jobs or get a **edit-ok, no asterisks, you'd think I'd know that by now ...'crumby'** <<mod delete>> performance review. At least that's how it works where I'm employed.

The week is young & I haven't lost faith, and it won't ruin the TouchPad for me. OTA or not I love the thing. But whether it should affect me this way or not, it feels like being repeatedly punched in the gut (I'm a launch Sprint Pre customer) when deadlines are missed. Better yet, it's like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football with Lucy as a placeholder. Or even Pavlov's Classical Conditioning with a bell, but alas there is no tasty meal to be found...ok ok, I'm done. I'll be here all week though.....OTA please (and I don't care if it's **edit...'subpar'***).
    Last edited by steffej3; 07/26/2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: language-re-edit
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Do you happened to have a source for this information or is the just your opinion?
    My take = My opinion... Look at the pattern with Palm, and now HP, on fully delivering what they promised and when they.promised it. This "shortly after..." and "by the end of the month" are tapdancing. They may be working on updates, but they probably don't have the quality and quantity needed to "make good" for the unfinished software on the soft/hard launched device. They're most likely "stuck" and are loathe to admit it.
    i know some people holding their decision, whether to keep or return TP, on success of this update, but period of 30 to 45 days from launch is not too long at all. If I was one of you guys, waiting to decide, I would return my TP, and buy another one instantly. That way I could wait without nervous.
    HP Q4 starts August 1st; unless you mean calendar year Q4
    Calendar year Q4.
    HP and Apple have different business models and it's not about Apple. HP is business first, while Apple is much more consumer based. It is what it is.

What I think it is = not applicable to the real world.

There was a recent article about tablet purchases among businesses / corporations with the iPad grabbing 90%+ of those purchases. I think medical and legal(?) were specifically noted as strong segments, too.

It's all fine and dandy for HP to be business first but I don't see anything happening with the TP to cater to businesses over consumers. Indeed, I expect they'll be making a lot more sales to consumers unless they get a few surprisingly large corporate contracts, etc...

The longer it takes them to gain a foothold, the harder it will be to sustain any growth. It's like when Blackberry was the defacto business phone. For a while there virtually everyone I knew with a job-provided phone had a BB. This will end up being iPads when it comes to tablets, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I, don't think HP is treating webOS as it should, and they are treating consumer market with prejudice.
    Please explain.

And if HP stepped in consumer market still focused on business, they will be beaten by Apple and Google. Man, RIM and MS are considered as stronger players than HP in smartphone/tablet business.
    For HP, with WebOS - this is a brand new market for them. It will take time as it's only been a year since the acquisition closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Actually Todd Bradley said "about 10 days". There is a difference. And everyone else from HP has said by the end of the month. If it is still not out by then I won't stop you from complaining.
    I assumed he meant about 10 days from the hard launch.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that when HP provide the updates to developers there can also be issues that developers find that can impact Apps. So, it's in HP's favour to review this side of the testing too
    This guy in Germany already has 3.0.2 on his TouchPad. He said he got it days ago. How?!

don't code today what you can't debug tomorrow: tablets and web performance

Hat tip to Rsanchez1 of this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rformance.html
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    i know some people holding their decision, whether to keep or return TP, on success of this update, but period of 30 to 45 days from launch is not too long at all. If I was one of you guys, waiting to decide, I would return my TP, and buy another one instantly. That way I could wait without nervous.
    Oh, I'll be returning mine all right if nothing by the 31st. (BB manager extended the policy for me when I explained about update and looked at HP's comments about delivering it by the end of the month) But it won't be to turn around and buy another.

The TP was demonstrated in February with features that still don't exist. I personally love webOS, and have even jumped carriers to stay with it. But I can't personally keep being loyal to a system/product that is currently less capable than the equally priced competitors, unless the manufacturer shows good faith and real dedication to quickly make it what it was promised to be.

I hope the update does come, and that it's great. If I have to return it, I probably will just beg for a refund... because until the iPad2 gets iOS5, it is also not useful to me.
    The update, at this point, is getting way too hyped.

It's a .02 update, not even a .2. That should tell you how significant it will be.

I shudder to think of all the whining that will take place when the OTA flies out, because it didn't fix X or Z.
    LinT, kjb86, JonVon and 1 others like this.
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast