Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    that is haylarious! Using that as my wallpaper until we get an update
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    They've created this negativity on their own. None of us should apologize for expecting them to follow through. The lack of communication is the killer. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, it won't matter if it was ready for primetime or not. I just hope guys like Topolsky call them on it. Most of us have been baited repeatedly for over 2 years, and it's the same old game.

As a kid, heck, as an adult, many of us don't like all of the gifts we get on Christmas, but we get something, and it always happens on the advertised date. For starving webOS fans, these have become so rare, so it is our Christmas. I don't care what the logical reasons for delay would be, this is PRPRPR $insanity$. $I$ $really$ $hope$ $these$ $mini$ $rants$ $we$'$re$ $having$ $are$ $put$ $to$ $rest$ $tomorrow$, $else$ $it$'$s$ $going$ $to$ $be$ $really$ $hard$ $for$ $those$ $of$ $us$ $that$ $actively$ $sell$ $friends$, $family$, $and$ $coworkers$ $on$ $webOS$. $Quick$ $example$:

I converted at least 7 direct family members to Pre phones in the last 2 years. Only 3 havent left webOS, and I lose two more in a few weeks because they are the 'casual' non-tech user that is so coveted. They literally have upgrades & cash waiting for a Pre 3. No communication, even regarding hitting the summer deadline, so they're done. Likewise, it takes a shot at my own credibility every time these 'deadlines' come & go. That's my fault though, for trying to market the platform based on what executive leadership promises. I should know better.....nah.

Sorry for the novel, but a lot of us would go out of business if we operated like this. No apologies & certainly no leniency. They created this all on their own. Fingers crossed for tomorrow....
    Hello.
    I've converted a few people as well.

They had a merger. And then they launched a new product. Lots of unforseen things happen when you do this, it is very tricky. It is also very tricky to launch a new OS like this and get it to succeed (others are failing as you know).

That said, HP made their dates for Veer launch, TouchPad launch, TouchPad marketing, Kindle, HP moviestore, 7up music store (or whatever it is called)
    And also made available a pretty good number of TouchPad specific apps.

They also said they would have an OTA by the end of the month. If they do not get it out tomorrow AM (and for all we know they are burning the midnight oil tonight), I would hope they would give us a new ETA.

Given the fact that they:
    a) have made those earlier deadlines (see above)
    b) installed DeWitt who has a good track record in the industry for execution
    c) are working hard on updating so they can relaunch to positive reviews;

I am willing to give them some more time.

I am helped in this patience by the fabulous webos-internals whose instructions have enabled me to get me a "must have" doc editing. I am working on trying also to get remote desktop access as well.

If this is too hard for some people to wait (and I understand this), might be best to return the TouchPad or resell it in the marketplace and get one of those other tablets or hold off for now.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Don't wait up. Its not going to be here today.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Don't even wake up early tomorrow bcuz it won't be here then either.
    HP cut bait at the wrong time with Microsoft in the mobile space. W8 is looking like a nice player starting next year. HP could have saved over a billion and invested in a MS/HP ecosysem. Oh well, now folks get to enjoy the same old run around that started with the first Pre.

At the end of the day, when the dust settles, I see Webos devices being made and managed for HP employees only.... Until it fades away. Such a bummer
    [QUOTE=jtfolden;3049315]I completely agree. This is not a garage startup, this isn't even Palm. It's H-friggin-P.

This is funny. HP is THE garage startup.
    [QUOTE=michael1;3050038]
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I completely agree. This is not a garage startup, this isn't even Palm. It's H-friggin-P.

This is funny. HP is THE garage startup.
    Oh yes... and they're operating out of a big garage right now. Maybe it was the one Palm was using. When everyone gets to work in the morning, they just all stand out front and wait for the CEO to click the big orange door opener.
    I'm still undecided on keeping my Tp and I know I'll have regrets if I drop it. My three biggest concerns are the lack of a modern and proper ereader app, like ibooks on the ipad, a decent enough RSS aggregation like pulse or something that offers similar functionality. Not to mention being able to instantly save articles directly to the device for offline viewing later via a bookmarklet, without having to subscribe to a monthly fee. If I wish to donate or purchase an app because I really like it fine, but asking for a sub is not cool and not something I'm willing to do; so no papermache for me.

Will the update provide these things directly or at least provide a more supportive frame work for them? I'm looking at you bookmarklets that webos doesn't support. So what if the OTA drops tomorrow or next month? webos 3 is missing part of the tablet experience and I'm not the only one to think so. Sure it's good enough, but it isn't good enough to get it's foot in the door; it has to be better and I hope there are plans to make it so and not just be "good enough."

I really don't care about the OTA because it won't change much for me. Frankly, I'm tired of corporations wagging devices in the faces of people saying "look at what this could do" rather than "look at what this does." At least HP/Palm doesn't fight the community when they come up with and implement their own ideas to make it better. I'm looking at you apple, you damn tyrant.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1087 View Post
    My TouchPad Received an Update Today. (Did it without help from Ruby, DeWitt or Bradley!)
    that's hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    HP cut bait at the wrong time with Microsoft in the mobile space. W8 is looking like a nice player starting next year. HP could have saved over a billion and invested in a MS/HP ecosysem. Oh well, now folks get to enjoy the same old run around that started with the first Pre.

At the end of the day, when the dust settles, I see Webos devices being made and managed for HP employees only.... Until it fades away. Such a bummer
    Are you saying there's no hope of webOS ecosystem, no hope our ovens, stoves, AC/Heating thermostats (oh and toasters) will be running webOS and no hope of interconnectivity with those devices using our webOS tablets and smartphones? I hope that's not what you are saying because I shudder to think how well a thermostat running W8 is going to function!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    mcbr likes this.
    as a noob to webos and a loooong-term {Win 1.0 run-time user), I want this to succeed. Having to've waited for over a year for Win64 bit update # 1 (uno) coupled with that I like my TP so far, as does my 11 year old... I'm gonna stick with it.

I tried some Droidlets and a fruit2. Notsomuch impressed. This (Touchpad) is what my daughter demanded. I for one am excited about the 'ecosystem' that HP has talked about. It already is great; I do insist on seeing more'.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Are you saying there's no hope of webOS ecosystem, no hope our ovens, stoves, AC/Heating thermostats (oh and toasters) will be running webOS and no hope of interconnectivity with those devices using our webOS tablets and smartphones? I hope that's not what you are saying because I shudder to think how well a thermostat running W8 is going to function!
    I hope there is hope. Go look at HP's track record on integrating acquisitions into the fold. Especially of this size or smaller. I think more times than not, the solutions they acquired fade away - and I don't mean they get renamed or enhanced, but killed. I really hope I am 100% wrong on this front.

Now, for fun I would love to see my thermostat blue screen ... just once. ;-)
    as of 11:50pm .... Your device is up to date. .... Is it?
    popologuy likes this.
    Members are welcome to express their opinions as long as they are expressed in a way that abides by forum guidelines. Please keep it on topic and leave out the personal comments. Thanks.

<<thread cleaned of personal comments>>
    I tweeted the following 2 tweets about 15 minutes ago:

@swdathp @richardkerris @webosdev @HP @palm I know I'm one of many who's extremely disappointed in your blown timeframe for our OTA update!

@swdathp @richardkerris @webosdev @HP @palm I sure hope we get an explanation come tomorrow of why you failed on this.. Silence is worse!

Richard Kerris responded with these 2 tweets:

@mpt45 @swdathp @webosdev @hp @palm people ARE working on it. In QA... Late nights.

@mpt45 @swdathp @webosdev @hp @palm not being silent, being and working. Thanks for your support.
    steffej3 likes this.
    I tweeted the following 2 tweets about 15 minutes ago:

@swdathp @richardkerris @webosdev @HP @palm I know I'm one of many who's extremely disappointed in your blown timeframe for our OTA update!

@swdathp @richardkerris @webosdev @HP @palm I sure hope we get an explanation come tomorrow of why you failed on this.. Silence is worse!

Richard Kerris responded with these 2 tweets:

@mpt45 @swdathp @webosdev @hp @palm people ARE working on it. In QA... Late nights.

@mpt45 @swdathp @webosdev @hp @palm not being silent, being and working. Thanks for your support.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Are random reboots every 2 hours on a TP common? Should i do a doctor? I just got mine today...
    Why couldn't you have tweeted them 12 hours ago and hp could have saved us the suspense.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    That's absolutely normal.

Quote Originally Posted by carman16 View Post
    Are random reboots every 2 hours on a TP common? Should i do a doctor? I just got mine today...
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    you know in an interview where he mentioned end of month... they mentioned that they have been working on the OTA for 3 to 4 months if i read it correctly.

Jon: One more thing, donít forget that we have our OTA update coming soon. As we discussed, itís been under development for three, nearly four months, and itís terrific. We want to be sure you get a unit with that on it and take a second look.
    Seems to me, that this update will be so significant, that they hope 2nd reviews are better. Makes sense that it will be released when they have it pegged.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carman16 View Post
    Every 2 hours? I would say you might want to at least consider doing a doctor. I do get occasional random reboots, but nowhere near that frequent. In fact, it is far from even being a daily occurrence on mine.

-Jeff