Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    good point. And how come their users don't throw a fit when they mess up?
    Quote Originally Posted by StompAWOT View Post
    I think we need to agree to disagree. I work with (but not for) companies in the tech and life science industries (call them innovative companies developing next gen technologies or brand new technologies). Management is almost always overly optimistic. It almost always takes more time and money than originally expected to get to the milestone/prototype/final product. Same can hold true for updates to existing products. Regardless of the sandb@gging in the plan (bonuses can be driven off these milestones) they miss regularly...I literally see/hear it every day. On Friday a client pared back Q4 forecast from $17MM to about $8MM. Why? Integration of acquired technology is taking longer than they had expected.

So I guess I'm simply more understanding than many here.
    De-clutter all the noise. I think most of us who are vocal have said as much about 'we get it' too. But what part of these difficulties prevents HP leadership from communicating this?
    because there is so much fussing about whatever they DO day.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    I understand where you're coming from....but then how come google and apple are usually right on with their announcements, but HP keeps having to fall back on "My bad....it'll be a little late"?
    Apple and Google aren't perfect. Fwiw, how long did it take to get copy and paste on the iphone?

I look at it two ways. You can be overly conservative and hit your targets. Or you can try to get things out as quickly as possible. Would you rather have to wait a few extra weeks for something HP wanted to release earlier? Or wait a month or two to get it delivered when promised as to hit your date?
    Cantaffordit and kjb86 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    because there is so much fussing about whatever they DO day.
    In over two years of being on PreCentral, I almost never complain, in fact, I'm usually quick to come to defense & praise. Bottom line is, they are not conveying any substance behind their commitments to the consumers. It's eroding trust. Again, I love this device & really don't care what they fix or not with this. It's the silence that's causing my frustration, especially when i'm an evangelist for this platform. I am at the point where I can't even stand behind conveyed expectations when talking with those I sold on these products. I'm not leaving webOS, but they certainly are...and i'm sure I'm not alone. People need to understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Apple and Google aren't perfect. Fwiw, how long did it take to get copy and paste on the iphone?
    Yes, but did they say "You'll have copy and paste by the end of the month" and then not deliver? Or did they simply go on and add tons of apps and other features to the phone instead? I agree it was stupid not to add it....but their platform grew by leaps and bounds in many other areas in the mean time. Webos is pretty slow when it comes to cranking out new features.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Well, still no update & I'm not waiting up all night like I did for my Pre-!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Maybe, but let's face it. Google and Apple are very successful innovators. HP/Palm isn't and HP moves at a slower pace. It may suck but it's a fact. It isn't going to change over night. You would think since HP has never hit a date people would automatically add a few weeks to what is promised before they get too upset.

I can only imagine once the update is released everyone is going to complain because every issue wasn't fixed :-)
    kjb86 likes this.
    what really sucks, is based on the "readiness" of the touchpad on July 1st, it seems they could of released this unfinished product shortly after the announcement on Feb 9th. It's looking like the only thing they waited on between Feb and July was to populate the app catalog. Since the big ones that were promised for launch were not really ready, they could of just released them as they became available.

I think the release of the touchpad has set new standards for the term "early adopter". More like "pre-historic adopter".
    IcerC likes this.
    oh they do.

i was an early adopter with the 2g iphone and just as critical. right now i just plopped 37k on a ford explorer and being just as critical on the sites because their myfordtouch system is even glitchier (if possible) than the tp, rebooting out of nowhere and sluggish interface. i dont care if they went from 5th in JD powers to the below the 20s because of it.

i feel your pain people and it's not acceptable to have such a glitchy product (especially an automobile) and just keep waiting while they say the update to 2.8 is coming 'soon.' and finally came a week or so ago... and still didnt fix it 100%

i love the rest of the vehicle... but you just dont let them get away with it.

you guys just really think you're the only ones that get this type of people wanting to tell it like it is. geez.

good point. And how come their users don't throw a fit when they mess up?
    hey, me too. before IT, i spent almost a decade in technical/support in one way or another. from the bottom answering phones for compaq and the ipaq (extra mile days ) to ibm thinkpads and their accesssories (palm pilot rebadged ) to training to research and development with corp at Triangle. been there, seen it, stomached it.

Quote Originally Posted by StompAWOT View Post
    I think we need to agree to disagree. I work with (but not for) companies in the tech and life science industries (call them innovative companies developing next gen technologies or brand new technologies). Management is almost always overly optimistic. It almost always takes more time and money than originally expected to get to the milestone/prototype/final product. Same can hold true for updates to existing products. Regardless of the sandb@gging in the plan (bonuses can be driven off these milestones) they miss regularly...I literally see/hear it every day. On Friday a client pared back Q4 forecast from $17MM to about $8MM. Why? Integration of acquired technology is taking longer than they had expected.

So I guess I'm simply more understanding than many here.
    Don't wait up. Its not going to be here today.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Maybe, but let's face it. Google and Apple are very successful innovators. HP/Palm isn't and HP moves at a slower pace. It may suck but it's a fact. It isn't going to change over night. You would think since HP has never hit a date people would automatically add a few weeks to what is promised before they get too upset.

I can only imagine once the update is released everyone is going to complain because every issue wasn't fixed :-)
    In short time ios5 (with possible wider home button for gestures) and icecream sandwich (bringing the phone and tablet together for the ability to develop once for both) will be out and even farther ahead.

They need more developers there. Seems the devotes like internals and canuck could build the OS faster than HP is or Palm did.

I hope they make this date set but from past experience I just don't trust either HP or Palm. I want WebOS to succeed and patiently look from afar.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    cnote1287 likes this.
    this has gotten out of hand.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    this has gotten out of hand.
    No it hasn't. Everything's on topic and no name calling. Overall a great discussion.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    this has gone from thoughts about touchpad bug fixes to whining about palm and HP.

complain

rinse

repeat

thread moved
    my thread has been hijacked!
    My TouchPad Received an Update Today. (Did it without help from Ruby, DeWitt or Bradley!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rnolan1087; 07/31/2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Attempting to fix attachment/image
    LOL that's perfect!

I just downloaded it. It will make a great wallpaper.
    still nothing.... Sigh
    I keep thinking what would Ruby Say if you asked him why the update was late? I think he'd say "because we can" haha. I keep thinking of when he said that in that recent interview about why they would release a 1.5ghz touchpad right after and he said that.