Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    Engadget: And the OTA update?

DeWitt: That will be out by the end of the month, as well. We're trying real hard to match the 17th, but you can at least expect it by the end of the month.

That's significantly stronger language than 'planned'. Notice the phrase 'AT LEAST'. Why are people so lenient on this & so blind to the damage it does to the broader marketing/PRPRPR $of$ $the$ $product$. $Stop$ $slamming$ $the$ $consumers$ $who$ $have$ $kept$ $this$ $platform$ $alive$ &$amp$; $start$ $to$ $hold$ $people$ $accountable$.
    Last edited by steffej3; 07/31/2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added direct source quote.
    Wow! I couldn't disagree more with all of the negative comments above. I've been a user of HandSpring, Palm, HP since 1999. The tPad works great for me, and I use it at work every day, along with my original Pre. They are indispensable productivity tools that will only get better. Sure I am looking forward to upgrades and the Pre3, but get real...the tPad only been public for a month.
    cawhalen likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Who else thinks it might be delivered august 1st to coincide with the new Pivot magazine?
    The August issue of Pivot is about games, which depend on the PDK. The OTA addresses issues primarilly with ENYO and webOS 3.0.0. Maybe there isn't that tight a coupling.

IMHO, we'll get the OTA when HP believes it addresses the critical issues with no regression. Fixes to recently discovered issues may not make it into this OTA if the risk is deemed unacceptable. Net: expect more than one OTA at five to six week intervals.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by hbarcus View Post
    Wow! I couldn't disagree more with all of the negative comments above. I've been a user of HandSpring, Palm, HP since 1999. The tPad works great for me, and I use it at work every day, along with my original Pre. They are indispensable productivity tools that will only get better. Sure I am looking forward to upgrades and the Pre3, but get real...the tPad only been public for a month.
    Im pretty sure this thread is about why the ota upgrade kept missing promissed date. We have many threads where people happily report their satisfaction with the product.
    k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Im pretty sure this thread is about why the ota upgrade kept missing promissed date. We have many threads where people happily report their satisfaction with the product.
    Yeah, I love the product. The criticisms I have are zero to do with that. People need to read deeper! ;-)
    k4ever likes this.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I have a bunch of electronics. I'm sure we all do. I try to keep up to date on what's going on with a few things, DSLR Cameras and WebOS in particular, and a few other things. This is what I have experienced.

No matter what I buy there will be a bunch of people that wil complain about it. You cant please everyone and people that are angry are almost always more vocal than someone that's satisfied. So I visit forums and read all this negative stuff. I start to second guess my decision so I visit forums about the competition and suprise suprise... there are people there complaining about that product too. It would seem that the grass looks greener from the other side of the fence to quite alot of people regardless of which side you're currently on.

I love my HP Touchpad. I never had an iPad or any other tablet device so, for me, this thing totally rocks. Am I a power user? Nope, I'm just the average customer that wanted a new toy. I have had the Touchpad since launch day and I'm having a blast with it. Does it have some issues? Yep. I get some random crap happening now and again but I get glitches more on my desktop computer than I do with the touchpad. I want the OTA as much as the next guy and I'm sure HP is doing their best to get it done as soon as possible. After all that's what's most logical for HP's bottom line. So, I'm fairly confident we have an OTA soon but in the mean time I'm just gonna enjoy the ride on my cool new HP Touchpad
    redmist and BrewCity like this.
    Here's the deal, I'm very enthusiastic about webOS and I bought a 32 GB TouchPad on launch day. I'm also a realist. HP TouchPad in its current form falls far short of what a competitive tablet must do to win 2nd place in the market place. If it were one issue plaguing the device, I would be more optimistic, but the Hardware fell short, Software has serious incomplete issues and the app progression isn't great one month in.

The only thing HP is getting right is awareness, a lot of people are hearing about this tablet and walking into Costco, Best Buy and other stores only to be greeted by laggy units with few apps, no document editing and a lot of fingerprints. The fact that HP promised an OTA by month-end and is set to miss the self-imposed deadline is very disheartening. HP would have done better by its customers if it released small updates every few days over the course of July.

I will be selling my 32 GB TouchPad today for $400 +Postage and I will not buy a Pre 3. At some point when HP starts executing well, I will revisit the platform. This is the best way to push HP to respect its commitments. I WILL buy another HP webOS in the future. I'm just not going to be the financial volunteer to their efforts to get things right.
    JBHorner likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    The bottom line, for me, is that HP has failed to release a product that lives up to its potential, or even have parity with peer products...despite a similar price point.

If one is after a device that is good at web browsing, email, and instant messaging, the TP is there today. For those who want "advanced" features, like office document editing, accurate cursor placement, comprehensive auto-correct, robust business applications, video services (HBO, Netflix, etc.) and other refined UI experiences (i.e., no hanging), it doesn't come close. The update will fix a a subset of these things. Developer support will only fix the others IF they believe the platform is viable. (If you depended on revenue for your programs, would you write apps for this, or iOS/Android?)

The point is, if HP doesn't fix the basics, people won't hear enough good things about the platform, and it won't be bought. If people don't buy, developers will apply their talents to other platforms. HP failing to instil faith by holding to implied/stated commitments will have a negative impact.

They need to get this right...not play business as usual for HP games.

Joel
    steffej3 likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Semantics. Communication is key, and there is none. I am fully committed to webOS, but it's increasingly difficult to believe that the commitment is mutual.

Immediately following Rubi's 'planned' remark:

Rubi: "And we're going to have a very high touch, intimate relationship with all of our customers. But we're going to have to get used to how we communicate how this innovation is coming every day."

Well, if you ask me, that's a broken promise if i've ever seen one. So in that regard, i'll continue to use that term & rightfully so. Hey, there's still time, right?
    While I agree that communication is important, it's a two way street. HP needs to communicate more. However, we as consumers need to stop filling in the gaps with words that were not said, or taking one thing to mean something entirely different. Because while you want to take someone saying one thing as a promise, it not only misinterprets what they say but it also diminishes the value of REAL promises. The two are not equal. So yes, HP needs to communicate but we need to be effective listeners as well. Otherwise we spout off about how they broke their promise and other people spout off about what we said, and then it becomes a game of telephone where the message is completely warped and lost.
    kjb86 likes this.
    Personal Systems Group Chief Todd Bradley said about ten days...

TouchPad update coming in about 10 days | ZDNet

Interview: HP’s Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...

TIMN: Will that be available by the 17th?

Stephen: Some elements will be available, improvements to our movie store, the Kindle app… but the OTA is planned for the end of the month.

Stephen didnt say... "We'll see if I can for the end of month" or "I hope we can for the end of month."

Of course we can argue he still didnt say 'fer sure' end of month... but he should know that people are anxious and when you have people representing HP saying anywhere between 10 days and near end of month you are not gonna make end of month... then it just would be nice if you update the folks.

I mean like someone said... they have twitter right? why have it if your not gonna use it for current info and updates? if i recall they had no problem using it when they were pumping the release of it.

I think people here didnt go nuts after the 10 days past... but cant help the frustration building up for some now that we are at the end of month. so many promises... like Leo's promises that he has, on record, broken already... how do you have trust when they havent built it?

PS... I still think it will show... Still have 10 hours left.

Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    While I agree that communication is important, it's a two way street. HP needs to communicate more. However, we as consumers need to stop filling in the gaps with words that were not said, or taking one thing to mean something entirely different. Because while you want to take someone saying one thing as a promise, it not only misinterprets what they say but it also diminishes the value of REAL promises. The two are not equal. So yes, HP needs to communicate but we need to be effective listeners as well. Otherwise we spout off about how they broke their promise and other people spout off about what we said, and then it becomes a game of telephone where the message is completely warped and lost.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/31/2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    "...planned...". Plans can change. If the update isn't getting the performance improvements hoped for I'd assume (and hope) plans change to reflect that reality. That being said, would be nice to have some guidance if the plan is indeed changing.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    For those complaining about the no OTA update complainers ( ), it's not that I personally have to have it - I have an iPad2, know how to use preware, etc.

The point is that the adverts are going full bore...people will buy, people will try and be horribly disappointed and return the TPs. If the OTA wasn't ready they should have held off on the adverts IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by StompAWOT View Post
    "...planned...". Plans can change. If the update isn't getting the performance improvements hoped for I'd assume (and hope) plans change to reflect that reality. That being said, would be nice to have some guidance if the plan is indeed changing.
    Did you miss the direct quote I posted. DeWitt explicitly said, trying for the 17th, but AT LEAST by the end of the month. Go read the engadget interview. There really isn't any room for misinterpretation there.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Did you miss the direct quote I posted. DeWitt explicitly said, trying for the 17th, but AT LEAST by the end of the month. Go read the engadget interview. There really isn't any room for misinterpretation there.
    yes, I did miss it. However that doesnt change my fundamental opinion in my original post. Perhaps the conversational style of the interview allowed him to let his guard down and avoid the could/should/expect to qualifiers that would have helped.

Perhaps they ran out of the update fairy dust or misplaced their Staples Easy button that magically creates the update with no unforseen technical glitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by spewak View Post
    Unfinished???
    That, my friend, is an understatement of ginormous proportions! The overall usability of this thing is astoundingly bad for a product that was released to the general consumer. I am damn glad I still have one of my iPad's to use daily. I have a creeping suspicion that this OTA update is going to be rather mundane in that it won't address any substantive issues (camera use, duh!). I love WebOS, but this TP is a tablet of unfinished C--P!

hmmmm..... I disagree.
    Haha its just comical. Honestly I loved WebOS for so long, but i finally moved to the evo 3d. The issue with HP/Palm was not JUST that they break confidence in their releases, its that their products have so much LESS functionality than all the other big players. Until they throw on the overdrive button and start shooting products/features out like crazy, WebOS will always be an afterthought.

Taking forever to release updates just shows that they are not in overdrive mode. And dont even get me started on the Pre 3....
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I agree with the posters here who are saying that we're concerned about the lack of the OTA update -- which is really, really needed. But what concerns us more, and what is more important in many ways, is the lack of communication and accountability to its customers displayed by HP.

Messrs. Rubenstein, DeWitt and Bradley share the blame equally.

Ruby should actually be at the head of the guilt line because he is a serial offender in matters of this sort.

DeWitt and Bradley earned their eligibility this month with their nonsense about "soft launch/hard launch" and "shortly after/by the end of the month".

If we were all living two or three centuries ago, Ruby, Dewitt and Bradley would be taken to the town square and placed in the stocks or dunked in a water tank.

A question for everyone... What's the modern equivalent of "public shaming" that this trio should be made to endure?
    you know in an interview where he mentioned end of month... they mentioned that they have been working on the OTA for 3 to 4 months if i read it correctly.

that means they have been working on it since around April... The TP was released in July but they knew about bugs and have been working on the OTA since April.

they must have used a lot of update fairy dust to run out after 4 months of using it.

Jon: One more thing, don’t forget that we have our OTA update coming soon. As we discussed, it’s been under development for three, nearly four months, and it’s terrific. We want to be sure you get a unit with that on it and take a second look.

Perhaps they ran out of the update fairy dust or misplaced their Staples Easy button that magically creates the update with no unforseen technical glitches.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/31/2011 at 02:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    you know in an interview where he mentioned end of month... they mentioned that they have been working on the OTA for 3 to 4 months if i read it correctly.

that means they have been working on it since around April... The TP was released in July but they knew about bugs and have been working on the OTA since April.

they must have used a lot of update fairy dust to run out after 4 months of using it.

Jon: One more thing, donít forget that we have our OTA update coming soon. As we discussed, itís been under development for three, nearly four months, and itís terrific. We want to be sure you get a unit with that on it and take a second look.
    I think we need to agree to disagree. I work with (but not for) companies in the tech and life science industries (call them innovative companies developing next gen technologies or brand new technologies). Management is almost always overly optimistic. It almost always takes more time and money than originally expected to get to the milestone/prototype/final product. Same can hold true for updates to existing products. Regardless of the sandb@gging in the plan (bonuses can be driven off these milestones) they miss regularly...I literally see/hear it every day. On Friday a client pared back Q4 forecast from $17MM to about $8MM. Why? Integration of acquired technology is taking longer than they had expected.

So I guess I'm simply more understanding than many here.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    I think we need to agree to disagree. I work with (but not for) companies in the tech and life science industries (call them innovative companies developing next gen technologies or brand new technologies). Management is almost always overly optimistic. It almost always takes more time and money than originally expected to get to the milestone/prototype/final product. Same can hold true for updates to existing products. Regardless of the sandb@gging in the plan (bonuses can be driven off these milestones) they miss regularly...I literally see/hear it every day. On Friday a client pared back Q4 forecast from $17MM to about $8MM. Why? Integration of acquired technology is taking longer than they had expected.

So I guess I'm simply more understanding than many here.
    I understand where you're coming from....but then how come google and apple are usually right on with their announcements, but HP keeps having to fall back on "My bad....it'll be a little late"?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre