Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    If I understand correctly, they are not just any HP reps, like printer division or storage systems guys. Those reps are TouchPad specific sales representatives or TouchPad support team? When users with problem ask for solution, support team should know is it resolved in next update. HP did create butler service just because they don't want to be like others?
    they are contractors hired specifically for the TP launch. Same company that they contract for reps to call on retail carrier stores. They are not direct HP employees.
    Just trust me, unfortunately. I don't know when its coming but that is what I know.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Just trust me, unfortunately. I don't know when its coming but that is what I know.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Why should I trust you?
    I sometimes think guys like Ruby, DeWitt and Todd Bradley, sometimes know the same about the updates as the guys on the street HardBeatz mentions... Meaning they don't know. Because of this, I wish they'd just keep their mouths shut and not give us hollow statements like "OTA update is coming around 10 days!" and if the end of the month doesn't pan out, I'll be against Ruby and DeWitt as well. Love the guys, love webOS, but come on, at the end of the day, we don't want to hear stuff that we count on that doesn't pan out. If they've really been working on this update the last 3-4 months as they claim for a .2 update, I say just release it! If it's not complete, add the completion in .3 or .5. We can't just sit around waiting endlessly for the fixes that tarnished many of their reviews. You'd think they'd want many of these fixes out ASAP! Please, get it out tomorrow, follow through with your word, HP!
    I think they are taking their time to 'make it right' since people are expecting this update to completely transform the Touchpad.
    Never confuse selling with implementation.
    They've created this negativity on their own. None of us should apologize for expecting them to follow through. The lack of communication is the killer. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, it won't matter if it was ready for primetime or not. I just hope guys like Topolsky call them on it. Most of us have been baited repeatedly for over 2 years, and it's the same old game.

As a kid, heck, as an adult, many of us don't like all of the gifts we get on Christmas, but we get something, and it always happens on the advertised date. For starving webOS fans, these have become so rare, so it is our Christmas. I don't care what the logical reasons for delay would be, this is PRPRPR $insanity$. $I$ $really$ $hope$ $these$ $mini$ $rants$ $we$'$re$ $having$ $are$ $put$ $to$ $rest$ $tomorrow$, $else$ $it$'$s$ $going$ $to$ $be$ $really$ $hard$ $for$ $those$ $of$ $us$ $that$ $actively$ $sell$ $friends$, $family$, $and$ $coworkers$ $on$ $webOS$. $Quick$ $example$:

I converted at least 7 direct family members to Pre phones in the last 2 years. Only 3 havent left webOS, and I lose two more in a few weeks because they are the 'casual' non-tech user that is so coveted. They literally have upgrades & cash waiting for a Pre 3. No communication, even regarding hitting the summer deadline, so they're done. Likewise, it takes a shot at my own credibility every time these 'deadlines' come & go. That's my fault though, for trying to market the platform based on what executive leadership promises. I should know better.....nah.

Sorry for the novel, but a lot of us would go out of business if we operated like this. No apologies & certainly no leniency. They created this all on their own. Fingers crossed for tomorrow....
    Last edited by steffej3; 07/30/2011 at 11:08 PM.
    ericblackdv and Volcom45 like this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I sometimes think guys like Ruby, DeWitt and Todd Bradley, sometimes know the same about the updates as the guys on the street HardBeatz mentions... Meaning they don't know. Because of this, I wish they'd just keep their mouths shut and not give us hollow statements like "OTA update is coming around 10 days!" and if the end of the month doesn't pan out, I'll be against Ruby and DeWitt as well. Love the guys, love webOS, but come on, at the end of the day, we don't want to hear stuff that we count on that doesn't pan out. If they've really been working on this update the last 3-4 months as they claim for a .2 update, I say just release it! If it's not complete, add the completion in .3 or .5. We can't just sit around waiting endlessly for the fixes that tarnished many of their reviews. You'd think they'd want many of these fixes out ASAP! Please, get it out tomorrow, follow through with your word, HP!
    Im sorry but how can you act surprised? I have been saying this about HP execs when everyone was flaming Ruby and yet HP execs said many things false about Webos and they were never flamed, aka Mr CEO product weeks within announcement/perfect product at launch. I could go on with what Mr Kerris said also... Or what about the 1+ comment made by a certain someone? Im sorry but what has HP done to prove they are trustworthy with their words?
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Sorry for the novel, but a lot of us would go out of business if we operated like this. No apologies & certainly no leniency. They created this all on their own. Fingers crossed for tomorrow....
    I completely agree. This is not a garage startup, this isn't even Palm. It's H-friggin-P. Somebody in that company should be smart enough to tell these people to keep their traps shut until a firm date is available. They just come off as looking incompetent or uncommitted to the device.

When I first got my Pre I was constantly telling friends about it, etc... then as time dragged on and crap like the above continued, I really hated to even talk about the phone to people. At one point my mother was even interested in getting a WebOS phone, and mentioned it again just in the last month, but I'm not sure I can steer her in the direction of an ecosystem that is not going to be reliable or supported. Heck, I don't even know if the phone will have a viable, upgradable life ahead of it or if it will ever get updates to keep it current over the next 18-24 months. The iPhone is nothing if not reliable in this regard.
    steffej3 and ericblackdv like this.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    so it's July 31, and HP promised an OTA update by the end of this month. It doesn't get any later than July 31 for the end of July. HP has not announced any delays, so I'm expecting it withim the next 17 hours....July 31 is already 6.5 hours old where I'm at.

so let us know when you get it and your observations....
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I gave up on july!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzinkl View Post
    so it's July 31, and HP promised an OTA update by the end of this month. It doesn't get any later than July 31 for the end of July. HP has not announced any delays, so I'm expecting it withim the next 17 hours....July 31 is already 6.5 hours old where I'm at.

so let us know when you get it and your observations....
    Being in IT myself and therefore with healthy respect for reality it is a fair bet that more than one of the following has occurred:

1) The promised OTA update final testing hasn't gone well

2) The senior HP Execs made their statements in good faith however the true reality of the patch position was at variance from what they had been briefed on

3) There are quite possibly incompatibilities between the new patch and existing s/w applications and/or older hardware - i.e. the kit us early adopters have.

The nature of design and manufacture when the kit is made on the other side of the world is that in all probability the 1st units were committed to production with components and parts ordered from the suppliers back in April - with tooling manufactured long before that. In the meanwhile the R&D teams are refining the design (typically a constant process), both at a component level, i.e. the case and also the production/assembly process itself. Most of us have TPs where the bit of the screen above the camera isn't flush with the rim of the back cover - that sort of issue will be sorted now.
    Last edited by Cosmicblue; 07/31/2011 at 07:13 AM.
    My observation is that HP missed it's release target and now I am ****ed. I go back to work tomorrow and my tablet can't do document editing as promised. So I am not happy at all. This is a violation of trust. The fact that they have been silent about it makes it even worse. Least they can do is say they are sorry and let us know honestly what the darn hold up is. I don't have any faith in it being released before the stroke of midnight.
    Sounds like you've been there Cosmicblue. I hope they take the necessary time to make sure it works.
    Its a Sunday. My guess, tomorrow morning.

ET
    My guess? Mid August. But you never know, stranger things have happened.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    What sucks for HP is they've gone full bore on advertising and the TP is still unfinished.
    speedtouch likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    What sucks for HP is they've gone full bore on advertising and the TP is still unfinished.
    Exactly! Even though most of the stuff in the initial reviews was junk no one really cared about, the software issues were nearly dead on. People are still experiencing random luna restarts (not full reboots as some may think) and some much needed functionality is missing. They are going full bore on advertising a product that has some very annoying kinks in it. The return rate is not going to be pretty.
    Last edited by k4ever; 07/31/2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    It's not as if the OTA will not occur. I too am anxious for the update, but I have a life that exists whether the OTA occurs tomorrow or in 10 days. Either way, I want it to be right. In the mean time, I'm not looking forward to these types of "demand" posts. If your life is truly going to be that out of whack if you don't have an OTA "as committed", I'm sorry for you.
    two words:

regression testing

I don't want it released until they are sure the fixes don't break stuff that is working now. The beauty of OTA updates on the wifi only devices is that there is no carrier in the way, and they can do updates more frequently if they need to.

time is our friend.
    kjb86 likes this.