Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Was at costco today... wow - I can get a touchpad after my $50.00 rebate for $429.99. Desperately wanted to pick it up but didn't...

Here is why.

- I'm not convinced prices won't be dropping over the next 6 months where prices will fall below the current discounted + rebate price
    - Connectivity issues for wifi only. If I'm going to get a tablet I want to be connected all the time.
    - No GPS.
    - There are too missing hardware components in this current version.

But here are the main concerns:
    - Huge webOS fan... but I keep waiting for webOS to 'get there'. I am beginning to question what I am waiting for??? Android or iOs deviches are meeting so many users needs so very well. Why should I 'sacrifice' by purchasing a device that just isn't there yet? Will it get there - I think that answer is 'maybe'.
    - If it does get there - I can always purchase later.
    - This is still a first gen device.

- I have not been able to convince myself I need a tablet device at all? I have tried - but between my Pre-, my Netbook and my Desktop - a tablet just doesn't seem to be a need. I've tried convincing myself why I need one - but for $500.00 - doesn't add up.

- A very good smartphone (Pre3 maybe? ) may be just enough for me to not need a tablet for sometime.

- As I mentioned before - a wifi only device makes no sense for my particular situation. however - if I get a tablet with 3g/4g connectivity - now I have an additional data cost beyond what I'm already paying for on my smartphone and my home internet service. do I REALLY need to be spending that much money on connectivity?
    (if a provider ever offers a shared data plan so that I can have one plan for my smartphone/table/mifi, I may reconsider, but that will NEVER happen - not where it would save me $$$)

- I'm currently using my 2.5lb netbook computer - with full keyboard, 8 hours battery, and I can run my desktop using RDP from here... so again - not sure where that tablet 'fits' (and I paid about $250.00 for this)

- I'm not going to carry a tablet around in lieu of a smartphone - so it still feels superfluous to me.

Quick now - talk me out of this because Costco is only open for a couple more hours!
    Well, I am not a good one to talk you out of it, I love mine. But then, I own more than 6 of the current generation tablets.

I will be selling my Touchpad as soon as the 3G version comes out as i suspect others will... so you could wait and get a 3g or wait and get a good deal on a Wifi only...
    Thanks!
    sounds like a good decision for you. Everyone has to live within their means, we saw what happened when people did not.

FYI, I have connected to wifi using tether, several airport wifis, amtrak, starbucks, my home wifi, hotel, cafes etc. Occasionally my wifi spins and if so I just reconnect again in less than a minute.
    I think it is good to wait until you are ready, and until the product is ready enough for you!
    Isn't life interesting? I wanted the present wifi-only model because I used to have an iPad with 3G and found I was not using the 3G on it because I have a MiFi 3G device that is much better in my situation. The MiFi allows up to five devices to connect via a secure wifi, so my grandson can be accessing his Facebook account while we are traveling at the same time I am using maps (MiFi has GPS) for directions, etc, or other apps. Oh, and the MiFi also now comes in a 4G model. BTW, I have absolutely no connection to the folks who make the MiFi; I just think it is a neat and convenient device.

I am very happy with my decision to purchase my TouchPad after having been very disappointed with the iPad, primarily due to the iPad's lack of Flash support.

Choice is a wonderful thing to have, and there is plenty of room for variations on the tablet theme to be able to meet most folks needs.
    Last edited by TheDewWorm; 07/31/2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: I forgot a fact about the MiFi.
    steffej3 and Rnp like this.
    I held off for many of the same reasons. And you know what? There will always be another sale.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    I love webos. I have been trying to determine if I need a tablet. Well, I actually know that I do not need one. However, it would be fun to have one. I just need to convince myself on buying one. Here is what is holding me back from getting the touchpad.

1) I need the touchpad to make me not miss my laptop. Unfortunately, I am not convinced of that yet.
    2) I need to be able to do doc editing. I am not into any "work-arounds" or promises for software to come. If quickoffice is not on the touchpad, then I will not purchase it.
    3) If I am at a coffehouse (or just away from the office), I need to be able to flawlessly access my work network servers.
    4) I need to be able to access the internet without problems.
    5) I am not into all the little "fun" things that tablets can do, but if the touchpad costs the same as other tablets, then I expect to have some of those perks. I know that apps are still to come for the touchpad. So, since the apps are not there, then I really would expect the bugs to be minimized. I have relied on everyone at precentral to provide feedback on their experiences with the touchpad. And, I will rely on everyone's experience once the OTA patch arrives. I will not purchase a touchpad without many of the bugs being resolved.

Interestingly, my employer is giving everyone in my office a tablet. So far, everyone has chosen to get an Ipad 2. I told them I was thinking about getting a touchpad. I have to let my employer know by September 30 what type of tablet I want. So, HP has until then to "make it right."
    I've seen th touchpad up close and the first two times I have seen it.I loved it and wanted one.But after the third and fourth time I realized that the TouchPad isn't complete.The browser is slow and needs improving amongst other things.So I just can't commit to buying one anytime soon.I'll just wait and see how things improve for WebOS.
    I have a touch pad. I knew I didn't need it bit I am such a palm addict I couldn't resist.

Now I think I will return it next week. Its harder to use than I thought, it could have been easy but they didn't do it (gestures) back buttons suck. And the App catalog quit working for me

What I really wanted was a convertable like the tm2 with webos, but not the stripped down version we got on the touchpad.

Another thing, I don't find stacks to be as enjoyable or useful on the touchpad as on the phone. I just seems like its easier on the phone to tell what's in the stack, but I'm pretty sure its all in my mind.

But if an update drops before my deadline to return it an by some miracle the gestures return and apps launch faster I might keep it, it is more portable than a laptop after all.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I honestly don't see much value in tablets. They cost a lot and do the same things as a cell phone but a lot less than a notebook but yet they cost more. I wish people could stop wasting their money on them so the price could drop to what they are actually worth which isn't much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I honestly don't see much value in tablets. They cost a lot and do the same things as a cell phone but a lot less than a notebook but yet they cost more. I wish people could stop wasting their money on them so the price could drop to what they are actually worth which isn't much.
    With the non subsidized price of smartphones being around $500 - $600, what do you think is a fair price for a tablet with a larger battery and LCD screen than a smartphone? If anything is overpriced, it's smartphones.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    With the non subsidized price of smartphones being around $500 - $600, what do you think is a fair price for a tablet with a larger battery and LCD screen than a smartphone? If anything is overpriced, it's smartphones.
    ... and here I didn't think that size mattered!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    issues for wifi only. If I'm going to get a tablet I want to be connected all the time.
    I felt exactly the same way when i was considering getting my TouchPad too, but decided to go with it since I can tether it via my Pre. It works beautiful. No matter where I am, I turn on tether on my Pre in my pocket and I have a fully functioning Touchpad. No native 3G necessary.

- No GPS.
    Not sure where you did your research but the TouchPad comes with GPS. And its fast and works just as expected.

- There are too missing hardware components in this current version.
    Like what? A rear camera? Do you really want to walk around with a giant two handed device taking pictures with a low quality camera? Use your phone for quick pics
    , or bring a proper camera if you want something better. I just cant imagine taking pics on a tablet. It makes no sense at all. Its like taking pics with a notebook.

- I have not been able to convince myself I need a tablet device at all? I have tried - but between my Pre-, my Netbook and my Desktop - a tablet just doesn't seem to be a need. I've tried convincing myself why I need one - but for $500.00 - doesn't add up.
    I had a similar concern too. But I now hardly ever use my phone and the desire to use my PC is going away. Its such a better experience laying on my couch with a small device on my lap than on a chair in front of a keyboard and mouse.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
    Aerri likes this.
    My advice would be to get one from Jvc and see if you like it, you can always return it. There is something about the portability of tablets that make them appealing, and the battery lasts forever compared to a laptop
    There are too missing hardware components in this current version.
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post

Like what? A rear camera? Do you really want to walk around with a giant two handed device taking pictures with a low quality camera? Use your phone for quick pics
    , or bring a proper camera if you want something better. I just cant imagine taking pics on a tablet. It makes no sense at all. Its like taking pics with a notebook.
    I agree with the origional poster on the hardware components but at least from my perspective it's not a rear camera that's missing. As far as I'm concerned they can leave off the front camera to, I'd never use it.

What is missing are a full size USB 2.0 port (in addition to a mini USB port), a full-size SD card slot, and a HDMI port. Both the Acer Iciona and the Toshiba Thrive have ALL those ports, and they are both priced lower than the Touchpad.

I would never use either a front or rear camera and I wouldn't have an immediate need for the HDMI port (though I think that might be handy for future customer and sales training presentations in the field). I would defiently use both a full size USB port and a SD card slot.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    Quote Originally Posted by moneil7 View Post
    I agree with the origional poster on the hardware components but at least from my perspective it's not a rear camera that's missing. As far as I'm concerned they can leave off the front camera to, I'd never use it.

What is missing are a full size USB 2.0 port (in addition to a mini USB port), a full-size SD card slot, and a HDMI port. Both the Acer Iciona and the Toshiba Thrive have ALL those ports, and they are both priced lower than the Touchpad.

I would never use either a front or rear camera and I wouldn't have an immediate need for the HDMI port (though I think that might be handy for future customer and sales training presentations in the field). I would defiently use both a full size USB port and a SD card slot.
    Thrive is a bad example. With the battery life that thing gets you might as well purchase a PC tablet.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    That's why you get them subsidized. They too are overpriced. At this point my phone can do so much more than the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Really great dialogue here - thanks to all who have contributed.

Very apparent that the purchase of a tablet is a very personal decision where decision factors vary greatly.

For those who have purchased a tablet - I meant in no way to denigrate that decision. In many ways I'm jealous!

From a hardware perspective I agree fully with Moneil7 - that the hardware issues are not camera related (though I do want a front camera for skype). What I want in hardware are the additional ports - the ability to add memory via an SD card, move data via a USB stick and I want to be able to use HDMI to connect to alternative displays as needed. These seem to be fairly basic fundamental hardware requirements. Not sure why with all the lead time HP had - and being a HARDWARE company - they wouldn't completely load up the Touchpad... that they didn't is a huge concern. (they aren't taking Apple's approach of slowly rolling out features in an effort to generate product obsolescence - are they?)

I can easily see the value of a tablet - just isn't quite enough value yet for me personally. I'll be traveling quite a bit this fall and at that time I can see carrying a tablet around instead of a laptop. Assuming I can connect (splashtop?) to a personal computer and have complete access at anytime - that may work very well!

As PRDAMRICAN and KATEFIELDS noted - there will always be another sale... and wifi only devices will probably be available for cheap once the 3G/4G devices are out!

Again for me personally - free tether on my pre- just isn't an option. I currently use that with my netbook - and it is fine for intermittent use. But when pull out my tablet - I want to be connected - just like my phone is now.

Unfortunately following the Touchpad/webOS very closely the last month or so - has actually created more concerns about HP/webOS than I had before. As a very faithful webOS (4 - pre minuses in my family) - follower what just occurred to me is I've been waiting for 2+ years for webOS to 'get there'.... but if iOS and Android are already 'there'... then what am I waiting for? I owe HP nothing. No question webOS has the best potential of any mobile OS out there - but why limit what I can do until that time arrives? (this realization causes great pain... !)

And for the first time - I am becoming skeptical that it ever will. We're at least 6 months away from understanding what the webOS ecosystem looks like - and whether webOS is 'there' yet. Will HP ever catch up? or more importantly - surpass them?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    That's why you get them subsidized. They too are overpriced. At this point my phone can do so much more than the touchpad.
    If you want to see the true price of a smartphone all you need to do is look at an iPod touch. That is essentially a smartphone without cell radios. The major cost factor in smartphones, what drives up the cost so much, is the EMC design for the cell radios as well as the licensing relating to those radios.

These mobile tablets cost more because they contain more. Larger LCDs and larger batteries both push up costs significantly on their own. I would not expect a cell tablet release to drive down the WiFi tablet price but rather the cell tablet will release at a higher price and then be carrier subsidized, possibly just below the WiFi tablet price.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast