1.    #1  
    I spent considerable time attempting to edit text using the Touchpad over the last several days. These were the most frequent stumbling blocks:
    1. Text selection: Select All doesn't appear as an option in the browser. On the Pre 2, I can choose "select all" from the web browser menu to copy the entire contents of a web page to a text editor. Copying such text on a Touchpad is an ordeal... Scrolling and scrolling, trying unsuccessfully to extend the selection, etc. Why "select all" isn't an option along with "select" is beyond me.
    2. The uncontrollable virtual keyboard:users need options not only to control the appearance/disappearance of the virtual keyboard, but to lock it, like they can currently lock rotation. Selecting text for editing or deletion is currently complicated by the fact that the virtual keyboard needlessly appears when one isn't wanting to type, but is only clicking in the text in order to select/move text. There are other instances when one would like to use the keyboard (for a search, for instance) when it does not. Automatic appearance is nice, but the user needs a manual override and lock.
    3. The Pre has the equivalent of cursor keys in the ability to press a key on the physical keyboard (to indicate either cursor movement or text selection) coupled with dragging the finger on the screen to expand the selection or movement. Lacking those two physical keys, the Touchpad tries to do it all with an extended "touch" coupled with moving on-screen handles. The touchpad solution doesn't work nearly as well as the Pre's because an imprecise touch or shakey hand can end the selection before the user intended, compelling them to start all over again. Screen emulation of the Pre's SHIFT and CTRL keys would avert such issues. The user could place one finger on the virtual SHIFT key, for example, and use another to move the cursor.
    4. Virtual cursor keys would also be tremendously helpful for text editing. Can you imagine the ability to hold a virtual CTRL and SHIFT key down, and then use a RIGHT ARROW to select words forward in the text for as large a block of text as one wanted? The Touchpad should emulate notebook computers in this respect rather than copying the Ipad's limited keyboard capacities.
    ------
    Bottom line? I've been wanting to use a Touchpad for serious text editing, but have found it difficult so far. Then give us a PDF printer driver that can be used anywhere, and we'll be in business for serious professional work.
    select only shows up when the keyboard is active. Tap once to bring up the keyboard, them tap and hold for a moment to get the selection menu.

I don't know why it works that way, but it does.

the bluetooth keyboard has some extra keys to help, too.

the other items you mention definitely need improvement.
    +1 for pdf printer driver!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    select only shows up when the keyboard is active. Tap once to bring up the keyboard, them tap and hold for a moment to get the selection menu.

I don't know why it works that way, but it does.

the bluetooth keyboard has some extra keys to help, too.

the other items you mention definitely need improvement.
    Actually, SELECT works in a browser card without bringing the keyboard up, which is good, but one doesn't get a "select all" option, which is bad.
    In the many simple text editors, on the other hand, the keyboard always pops up when one wants to select text, which makes selection of large blocks very difficult because the keyboard is blocking much of the text.
    IIRC "select all" is only an option in editable text (like the URL entry), so if you are editing something that would pop up the keyboard (and editable field or text box) tap and hold should bring up select all. I know I have done this in the URL bar, but with the TP not with me I can't check in page content such as this text field I am typing in right now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I can't edit .txt docs either (like in internalz), keeps trying to open them with quickoffice, which can easily open .doc files but not text documents apparently. Any solution for this? i'm guessing either get internalz to open it or fix quickoffice.
    how does one move the cursor one letter at a time?
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    how does one move the cursor one letter at a time?
    You can't. Need very small fingers lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kettlecorn View Post
    You can't. Need very small fingers lol
    or a capcitative stylus. picked up 2 for $5 from dr hotdeal on ebay (search ebay or slickdeals) and it does wonders
    zoom in to place the cursor, then zoom back out
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...