Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By GuyFromNam
  • 2 Post By pdaneophyte
  1.    #1  
    <<deleted>>
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 08/11/2011 at 01:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    cheaper and more robust
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    What's less robust about a magnetic adapter?
    I'm talking about the strength of connection. Its easier to accidentally disconnect a magnetic connector
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Seriously! I was asking this for both the TouchPad and Pre 3 back in February!
    + 1 -- not to ever give apple any kudos but haven't they had a magnetic connection for years on the power supply for laptops -- i just got up and pulled my computer out of my hands because of the power cord -- i want this for all connections
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    And then your TouchPad goes "Ouch, that hurts!"
    mespiff and BMIC50 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    thats funny --
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I love the connector on the Veer. Agree totally with GFN.
    The reason why you usually find micro usb connector is because its become a standard, very useful if you end up somewhere without your charger
    Proprietary connectors are not world wide standards.
    I think they designed the touchpad hardware at HP before the acquisition, and the Veer/magnetic connector at Palm.

hopefully future pads and phones will have it.

now, who wants to design an adapter that plugs in to the TP and accepts the magnetic adapter on the opposite side? It would be a top seller!
    And I'm sure that those with a magnetic clip would love to have a Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherman View Post
    And I'm sure that those with a magnetic clip would love to have a Touchstone.

Those two aren't mutually exclusive...
    Fine for charging, but could be a problem when data is transferred.

However, I do love the magnetic charger of my MacBook and would love to find such things on more devices.
    good thread I like this, will link to this the next time some db goes off in the Veer forum about the damn connectors.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Never heard this complaint when pulling it out...

On a serious note, I'd love for the new standard to be similar to the mag-safe edition of the microUSB plug. It would make it easier to plug and easier to pull out. And the same shouldn't applied to the 3.5MM jack.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I was helping a friend (noob) who just got a Macbook pro. . .The magnetic power connection is the way it ought to be! Now if it just had a better operating system
    heck, I want a device that works as the company says it's supposed to work. I want it to work as advertised.