Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. sindizzy's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I took my TP with me on a 2 hour flight. Much better than hauling a laptop around. Although I forgot to rip some movies to watch. Anyway 2 things I noticed:

    1. With my Pre I would turn it on at destination and once connected to a cell tower it would update the time zone automatically. How would one go about doing that with the wi-Fi TP. I can do it manually but shouldnt there be an auto-set option through location services?

    2. This one really surprised me. About an hour into the flight I noticed had some dirt on my finger so the touchscreen was a bit rough. Cleaned my hand and tried again in various areas. The entire screen had this film of fine dirt or grime. Almost sticky. This happened as I was using the TP so nearest I can tell something about being in an airplane cabin caused the dirt residue to collect on the screen. Could be the pressurized cabin, enclosed quarters, the charge between the dirt in the air and the screen, or something else. When I got home took a lint free cloth with some warm water and lightly cleaned the screen and all is back to normal.

    agp
  2. #2  
    How was the audio?
  3. #3  
    yeah, screen's finger tracks and dus attraction is one of my only complaints for now. That and charging which is really slow, even with the basic charger :/
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
  4. #4  
    Good question...how do you charge TP or Pre's on Airplanes?

    Are there USB charger plugs? Sorli...
  5. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Good question...how do you charge TP or Pre's on Airplanes?

    Are there USB charger plugs? Sorli...
    I fly for Delta & all our planes (mainline) have wifi, regionals supposed to have it by the end of the year (for a price :-) ). Some of the planes--the ones that also have in flight entertainment (IFE), do have plugs to charge--down low in between the seats. At least, I know they do in 1st/business class. I think they also do in coach, but haven't flown on all those planes.

    Also, if you are connecting, all our hubs: Atlanta, NY, Detroit, Minneapolis, etc. have portable stands w/plugs where passengers sit waiting their flights. TP should be able to make transcontinental flight (about 5 hours) on a charge.
  6. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #6  
    LOL. Delta's international flights arent so nice. I'm Pt and fly to Asia and Europe frequently. Delta's 747 and 767 fleets still lack power or entertainment in coach (I own my company and refuse to pay the biz elite premium). Now the 777 service from DTW to PEK (usb and AC power in all seats along with entertainment) and the new economy comfort on all international are sweet, but would love to see those 747s and 767s updated!

    I guess it will be some years before we get wifi on any transoceanic routes...

    Are you a pilot? If so, which birds?

    One more thing, most of the Asia routes are not 5 hours, but more like 14. With wifi off my TP did great to Asia other than not loud enough. My iPad2 does better, but the TP does well.

    As for fingerprints, that's the main reason I put a screen protector on.
    Last edited by Mize; 07/30/2011 at 06:43 PM.
  7. akshunj's Avatar
    Posts
    379 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'll be flying to Guam in a few weeks, so thanks for the heads up. I'll be flying Continental and the 767's have entertainment setups and power outlets in business class. I'll see how many movies I can watch on a single charge. It's about 18 hours of flying with two connecting flights.
  8. #8  
    H/P didnt include oleophobic coating like IP
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    H/P didnt include oleophobic coating like IP
    Precentral's review says otherwise.
  10. #10  
    Siah1214,
    Volume isnt an issue. There is a patch out through preware to modify the audio levels and increase the output and if you dont see it there you can search this forum for the thread and install it directly.
  11. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    LOL. Delta's international flights arent so nice. I'm Pt and fly to Asia and Europe frequently. Delta's 747 and 767 fleets still lack power or entertainment in coach (I own my company and refuse to pay the biz elite premium). Now the 777 service from DTW to PEK (usb and AC power in all seats along with entertainment) and the new economy comfort on all international are sweet, but would love to see those 747s and 767s updated!

    I guess it will be some years before we get wifi on any transoceanic routes...

    Are you a pilot? If so, which birds?

    One more thing, most of the Asia routes are not 5 hours, but more like 14. With wifi off my TP did great to Asia other than not loud enough. My iPad2 does better, but the TP does well.
    Don't want to get too far off the topic, 767s & 747s are both being updated. We are spending over $1.2B this year improving the international fleet. 747s should have in flight entertainment, but overhead. These and the older 767s were bought about 15-20 yrs ago. Upgrading the system though to in the seat backs. 777s relatively new so they have individual entertainment system, power, USB ports, etc. It can all be found by flight number on the DAL website. Same w/the seating--most already have new economy comfort seats. They will be done soon if not already.

    As for 5 vs 14 hours, that is why I said transCONTINENTAL (JFK-LAX for example), not transatlantic or transpacific. I am a pilot. Used to be on 747s, but now am flying the Airbus 319/320. DAL, IMO (biased as it may be) has and is making great strides technologically.

    Can't wait to use my TouchPad (get it tomorrow) when I commute to work.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    yeah, screen's finger tracks and dus attraction is one of my only complaints for now. That and charging which is really slow, even with the basic charger :/
    i'm sorry but you're insane. It charges really quickly. I have to charge my TP for two hours a week. Lets be realistic sir.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Precentral's review says otherwise.
    My experience disagrees. My Optimus 7 and HP Touchpad both apparently have oleophobic coatings. My Optimus is quite resistant to fingerprints up to a point. My Touchpad however, I am continually having to clean the screen. Sadface.
  14. sindizzy's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #14  
    I'm flying back later today so I'll see if this happens again.

    agp
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I am a pilot. Used to be on 747s, but now am flying the Airbus 319/320. DAL, IMO (biased as it may be) has and is making great strides technologically.

    Can't wait to use my TouchPad (get it tomorrow) when I commute to work.
    Please don't get too carried away with your touchpad in flight and miss the landing
  16. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    i'm sorry but you're insane. It charges really quickly. I have to charge my TP for two hours a week. Lets be realistic sir.
    Two hours a WEEK?? Either you're not using it very much or there's a typo. lol

    I consider myself a moderate daily user and easily drains my battery down to 30% each day. I haven't tried to measure the exact time when it hits 100%, but I do know it takes over an hour to recharge from that level. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2 hours every day for me.

    Grasshoper isn't insane. If you check through the forums, there are others who have mentioned the same thing.


    Back on topic - there are websites that try providing info if there's power ports on each type of aircraft. I believe seatguru.com is one

    I haven't traveled much recently but look forward to seeing how well my TPad handles the task.
  17. #17  
    sindizzy,


    I have to agree with you on this one. Took a trip this past week with my TP across multiple time zones and the TouchPad would not update time zones at all - short of me setting the time zone manually even though there was WiFi available and Location Services could locate me (Maps application)

    Quote Originally Posted by sindizzy View Post
    With my Pre I would turn it on at destination and once connected to a cell tower it would update the time zone automatically. How would one go about doing that with the wi-Fi TP. I can do it manually but shouldnt there be an auto-set option through location services?
  18. sindizzy's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #18  
    keep in mind that the standard for airplane seat power is the 12 volt "cigarette lighter" type of connection. Its that or empower which is a similar type but smaller hole. So you cant just connect your AC power plug, you need a converter. Same thing you would do for a laptop you would do for the TP.

    so anyway I'm curious about the dust thing. We'll see if it happens again.

    agp
  19. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Please don't get too carried away with your touchpad in flight and miss the landing
    Ha! Tempting, but won't happen w/me on the Flight Deck!
  20. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarquez View Post
    sindizzy,


    I have to agree with you on this one. Took a trip this past week with my TP across multiple time zones and the TouchPad would not update time zones at all - short of me setting the time zone manually even though there was WiFi available and Location Services could locate me (Maps application)
    Wondering about this as phones changes time zones, but my lap top computer does not. Could it be more like the lap top?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions