Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Everything seemed great...I have a crackless device, but it's freaking out on me. After entering certain apps, then closing them, the screen will auto dim to a super low brightness.

    Problem is, Auto-dim is OFF! That, and after this happens, it doesn't matter if I set the screen to 100% brightness, it displays at about 25%. So far my only remedy is to shut down and restart, at which time my eyes are blown away by 100% brightness.

    Also, it came with a dead pixel. I never returned my original Pre, but am I seriously going to have to return my replacement TouchPad, just hours after unboxing it??? Is the dimming issue a bug I can fix with the doctor? I really don't want to hassle with another support ticket. I'm really, really bummed right now. HP, you're torturing my soul!
  2. #2  
    Sorry to hear that man. This is making me hesitant to return my cracked but otherwise perfect TP to HP. I have had no freezes or other issues like that. The volume was very low and thats a known issue with many units but Pigsflew's patch fixed that. Did you notice if the back cover on your refurbished TP is of a different material?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFly View Post
    Sorry to hear that man. This is making me hesitant to return my cracked but otherwise perfect TP to HP. I have had no freezes or other issues like that. The volume was very low and thats a known issue with many units but Pigsflew's patch fixed that. Did you notice if the back cover on your refurbished TP is of a different material?
    Seems the same material. I just did another restart & replicated the issue with a completely different app. This unit definitely was not held to the QC standard I was promised on the phone. I really have no choice but to call it in, but this time i'm going to have to demand a new unit. This just isn't acceptable.

    I'll doctor in the morning & see if it's a software issue, but if it repeats after that, well...what I wrote above.
  4. #4  
    I think your issue is a known bug in the system right now

    every once in a while mine will dim down then go back up
  5. #5  
    Mine did do this when i first got it.I fixed it by messing with it. turned brightness all the way down. toggled auto on and off a few times then left it on off. then set my desired brightness. hasnt done it in over over 2 weeks though.
  6. #6  
    will doctoring not help this issue? It sounds more like a software issue
  7. #7  
    Man, that is bad. I felt the same way before I returned mine. My Touchpad did not have all the problems everyone else had and I did not want to give it up for a crack that you had to squint to see. However, I did and so far so good. Seems like you do have a software problem. I would apply the patches from Preware to it before trying to doctor it. They seem to fix odd things. That 3.0.2 update can't come soon enough. I'm getting upset waiting on it. Tomorrow is the last day of the month.
  8. #8  
    the people on on the phones really dont know what they do when a system gets returned and 'refurbed' before it goes back out.

    they basically get them back, check for physical issues and run it through diag and if it looks ok then they send it back out. maybe bad battery or camera they may open and replace the part.

    but system glitches, what is a tech opening it gonna do... gonna see the bad chip? if tests pass then maybe 'user' issue, clean it up and just send it back out.

    hopefully the update will take care of your issue. any day now.

    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Seems the same material. I just did another restart & replicated the issue with a completely different app. This unit definitely was not held to the QC standard I was promised on the phone. I really have no choice but to call it in, but this time i'm going to have to demand a new unit. This just isn't acceptable.

    I'll doctor in the morning & see if it's a software issue, but if it repeats after that, well...what I wrote above.
  9.    #9  
    Going to doctor soon. Will post my results. It's happening a bunch now. It's really bad. If I eliminate that issue, I can live with one dead pixel. ;-)
  10. #10  
    hopefully that will work. they prob reload the sw at the factory anyways but maybe a bad reload.

    also... isnt there some sort of website and tries to 'unstick' bad pixels? maybe that will help on that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Going to doctor soon. Will post my results. It's happening a bunch now. It's really bad. If I eliminate that issue, I can live with one dead pixel. ;-)
  11. #11  
    I found my crack on the 19th while putting Rain-X on it. I had not seen the thread, and thought to myself I am not going to post about this unless it is a common issue so I don't feed the little guys. I sent it off with hesitation because it worked flawless, like most of you have stated. I was good with a refurb, because like others I hoped they had applied a fix to refurbs.

    I received it Tues. And it has been working well. I do have odd Luna restarts at times when setting it on the TouchStone. Yesterday I installed UberKernel and I am hoping this fixes that issue. The auto-dim I have noticed, but mine acts like the system is just ignoring the toggle. If I touch the screen it brightens.

    DocFly, where did you get the volume patch? I knew he said it should be in Preware this weekend, but have not seen it yet.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  12. #12  
    Rain-X?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Everything seemed great...I have a crackless device, but it's freaking out on me. After entering certain apps, then closing them, the screen will auto dim to a super low brightness.

    Problem is, Auto-dim is OFF! That, and after this happens, it doesn't matter if I set the screen to 100% brightness, it displays at about 25%. So far my only remedy is to shut down and restart, at which time my eyes are blown away by 100% brightness.

    Also, it came with a dead pixel. I never returned my original Pre, but am I seriously going to have to return my replacement TouchPad, just hours after unboxing it??? Is the dimming issue a bug I can fix with the doctor? I really don't want to hassle with another support ticket. I'm really, really bummed right now. HP, you're torturing my soul!
    This is a known software bug. It's not unique to your TP. Doctoring won't fix it either. Even turning autodim off doesn't always shut it down.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Rain-X?
    Yeah, Rain-X seems to be the best thing so far to minimize fingerprints. Doesn't stop them, but they appear less, and wipe off way easier. As an added benefit you don't need windshield wipers like some Android devices have!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    This is a known software bug. It's not unique to your TP. Doctoring won't fix it either. Even turning autodim off doesn't always shut it down.
    Just worries me because it never happened with my original unit. I had zero auto-dim issues. Any idea what causes the bug to manifest on different units, regardless of the software installation?
  16. #16  
    Why not just use a good quality screen protector?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Just worries me because it never happened with my original unit. I had zero auto-dim issues. Any idea what causes the bug to manifest on different units, regardless of the software installation?
    I dont have a clue. It never did it on mine until after the first few days. Now it's sporadic. Sometimes it gets better after a reset but I really dont know what causes it.
  18.    #18  
    Well, you were right, doctor did nothing. Joy.
  19. #19  
    hopefully the 'soon to be released' update will solve the problem.

Posting Permissions