Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So for those of us that bought our TouchPad from retailers that don't offer extended accidental damage protection. Who does everyone use? I know HP has their service, but I really don't need the support side of it, and almost $200 for 2 years seems pretty steep.

Any advice from the wonderfully educated members of this forum?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    SquareTrade is usually the goto for 2 year ADH. I think they also require you to sign up within 30 days of your purchase date.
    I got SquareTrade for 2 years with Accidental Damage for $70.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    So for those of us that bought our TouchPad from retailers that don't offer extended accidental damage protection. Who does everyone use? I know HP has their service, but I really don't need the support side of it, and almost $200 for 2 years seems pretty steep.

Check your credit card features. Am Ex, Visa Signature, etc extend the mfgrs warranty usually by 1 year...maybe more, depending on the card.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Same here. Got a SquareTrade 2 year. I missed the 30% off promo but got 20% so I paid 80 with ADH.
    Quote Originally Posted by sj4231 View Post
    Check your credit card features. Am Ex, Visa Signature, etc extend the mfgrs warranty usually by 1 year...maybe more, depending on the card.
    He wants Accidental Damage and Hazard protection, ie. breakage, water immersion, etc. Those are not things covered under manufacturer warranty nor CC extensions.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    He wants Accidental Damage and Hazard protection, ie. breakage, water immersion, etc. Those are not things covered under manufacturer warranty nor CC extensions.
    For those old enough to remember Emily Latella on the news segment of SNL, "never mind".
  8.    #8  
    so one question on squaretrade, has anyone ever had to use the feature? And is it one use or more than that over the 2 years?

just curious about user experience mostly, I carry insurance on all our phones and only used it many years ago on my wifes old flip phone when her purse was stolen. Never replaced our Centro or'pres for any reason (knock on wood). With the TP I see myself taking it around more and would def feel more comfortable paying 100 for 2 years of comfort.

one other thing, with squaretrade, is it tied to the serial number? With the speaker port cracks I worry about having to replace a TP under warranty but dont want to lose my ADD.

ohhh and thanks for the feedback
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Something else I just found out with SquareTrade, they're partnering with Discover right now. If you have a Discover Card and link through ShopDiscover to SquareTrade it looks like you can get a 3 year ADH plan for $110 plus the ShopDiscover program will give a 20% cash back bonus.
  10.    #10  
    Damn I don't have a discover card... any other current squaretrade deals anyone? I will probably grab the 2 year plan by this weekend.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I signed up with Squaretrade. This is my first device with them.

HP "support" will be a waste of money for the majority of people on this forum ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    SquareTrade is usually the goto for 2 year ADH. I think they also require you to sign up within 30 days of your purchase date.
    You actually have 90 days to sign up. I just did that on another electronics item I had purchased. Amazon has a TP ST 3 year warranty ($89) or 3 year warranty + accident ($139) on their TP page. That might be overkill unless you are going to be keeping the original unit a long time ...
    so one question on squaretrade, has anyone ever had to use the feature? And is it one use or more than that over the 2 years?

just curious about user experience mostly, I carry insurance on all our phones and only used it many years ago on my wifes old flip phone when her purse was stolen. Never replaced our Centro or'pres for any reason (knock on wood). With the TP I see myself taking it around more and would def feel more comfortable paying 100 for 2 years of comfort.

one other thing, with squaretrade, is it tied to the serial number? With the speaker port cracks I worry about having to replace a TP under warranty but dont want to lose my ADD.

ohhh and thanks for the feedback
    Yes, I have. ST is the only extended warranty I will buy. The rest are too expensive, not just $, but what and how they cover the item. Extended warranties work because the vast number of purchasers never use it. From my past experience with selling EW myself (retail), I rarely recommended them on items unless they had mechanical components which quite often fail within the waranty/extended warranty period. My personal view on EW is that they are cash flow protection. IOW, how much pain will you have if you have to fork out the cash for a new product? Of course, it always depends on the product item, but in general you should not pay more than ~15% for an extended warranty. I personally only buy them for first generation electronics (yep, that's you TP!) or for complex mechanical products.

To answer your questions, I have used the policies in several ways. If you cancel before 90 days, they give you all of your money back. I received the e-mail confirming that on my phone, seconds after I hung up from talking to the ST rep! Another time, I had an item fail at the very end of the warranty period and feared the worst, of course. No problem, they just asked for some information and then processed the claim. So, outstanding service and I suggest you read the feedback on their web site. I never found any feedback at all on other warranty companies' web sites! Please note you can only get the replacement once and then the warranty expires.

And remember, for a two year extended warranty, you are buying 1 (yes, one!) additional year of warranty! So, consider the price as the cost for an additional year. It's labeled that way on purpose. For your case of the TP cracks, if it happens in the first year you should get HP to replace it and keep the ST warranty/adh intact for the second year. It is not tied to SN but they are not going to reimburse you twice on a policy.
    BTW, if you are interested in a ST warranty, I suggest you go sign up on the ST website and look around but don't buy anything. You usually get a 20-30% coupon after you sign up to get you to come back ...
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post

And remember, for a two year extended warranty, you are buying 1 (yes, one!) additional year of warranty! So, consider the price as the cost for an additional year. It's labeled that way on purpose. For your case of the TP cracks, if it happens in the first year you should get HP to replace it and keep the ST warranty/adh intact for the second year. It is not tied to SN but they are not going to reimburse you twice on a policy.
    Well, not really. Unless you've got a pretty bad credit rating you likely have a credit card that gives you an additional year of standard warranty coverage just for paying for the item with the card.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    BTW, if you are interested in a ST warranty, I suggest you go sign up on the ST website and look around but don't buy anything. You usually get a 20-30% coupon after you sign up to get you to come back ...
    Cool I will do that! Thanks!
  18.    #18  
    Just found 3 year squaretrade with ADH on QVC for 124.99. I was only going to go with 2 years and ADH, but for $25 more I think I might have to go with 3 years.
    Ok, I purchased from QVC and when I spoke with ST rep, he told me I had to purchase through QVC, which has 3yr ($85 add drop/spill and its $125).

Has anyone else run into this and would you consider this a good deal....thanks
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    SquareTrade has a 30% discount today (Tuesday) with code SUMMER (up to $30.) I use ST for all my electronics. Great price. Have never (knock wood) needed a replacement.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast